Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fuji BT-50SA

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 03:33 PM
Echoes
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuji BT-50SA

Anyone try the Fuji Engines from Tower? was thinking of installing it in a MW Cap 232. Would be my first Gasser. Want to use it to compete in IMAC.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:32 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default Fujis?

Hi Echoes,

This subject has been covered in several prior threads. Just do a search on Fuji and you'll find a lot of opinions.

I would have answered you "maybe" until you mentioned you wanted to compete in IMAC. While Fuji's appear to be of good quality(there just aren't enough people talking about them to know for sure), they also appear to be well down on power compared to the high-end 50 size gas engines, and they are definitely heavy at about a pound more than the Taurus 3.2, BME 50, and Brison 3.2..... I would recommend any of the above three engines, and IMHO, in the order listed. The 3W is also an excellent motor and produces competitive power, but is also about a pound heavier than the others.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:39 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default Fuji BT-50SA

the gas engines i hear are good are, BME, DA, 3W, and ZDZ, but i have never owned a gasser before, these are just what I hear are great.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:49 PM
3dkid
My Feedback: (2)

Default Fuji BT-50SA

3W's are smooth and powerfull BME's i have heard shake alot and i heard DA's have a mid range burble i dunno on first hand knowlege but thats what i have heard and i heard the same about the ZDZ's a friend of mine just sold his ZDZ 80 single and got a 3W 100 B2 because of it's smoothness i have decided im going to get a 3W engine for my Hanger 9 1/3 scale Cap 232 ARF not sure which engine but it'll most likley be a 100B2ss anyways just putting in some imput
Old 03-01-2002, 06:50 PM
3dkid
My Feedback: (2)

Default Fuji BT-50SA

i forgot to add that i have a Fox 3.2 and i like it but it shakes a lil and it has a mid range burble but it runs good other then that it only shakes at idle and the engine is new im hoping to get rid of the mid range burble well just thought i would add that

David
Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 AM
jrkharley

Default RE: Fuji BT-50SA

I have purchase a Fuji Imac BT-50SB gas engine that I am planning to put in a Giant Scale F4U Corsair. I purchased the optional spring that mounts on the rear of the engine and I had to have a housing machined to enclose it. This added about 1.25-inches to the length. I notice on the fujiengines web page that they had a short prop hub, part #FJIG6754, that I had hoped to use to reduce the overall length but Great Planes told me that this was no longer available. The only solutions that I can think of is to either take the spring off or have a custom short prop hub machined. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thank you.John
Old 09-10-2008, 05:59 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Do yourself a favor, get a light and powerful engine - DA, DL or 3W... Best to start with gas the right way...

There's a bunch of newcomers like Area51 and BME 58. They might be good but they have no record. Also a bunch of cheap chinese engines like CCRC, HH, etc. but that might be a risky investment.

What I have seen running from the Fuiji was rather heavy, bulky and underpowered...

ORIGINAL: Echoes

Anyone try the Fuji Engines from Tower? was thinking of installing it in a MW Cap 232. Would be my first Gasser. Want to use it to compete in IMAC.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:21 PM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run quite a few Fujis at work in various R&D projects. They've all run well and started pretty easily. This summer I started out with a Fuji 43 in my personal GP 27% Extra 300S ARF (weighing no more than 15 lbs). At first I thought it was adequate for IMAC (Sportsman class) and I was proud to run the engine in my plane. Don't get me wrong - the plane flew beautifully with the Fuji, but after a while I realized I just needed more power for vertical up lines and extended 45-degree lines. I switched to a DL and the plane flies like a whole other model. It goes without saying that there is much more power on hand, but it's useable power - not what I would call "stupid" power. But swinging the larger prop (22" vs. 20" ) it also slows much better on down lines and for landing.

The Fuji would be great for sport flying or in scale models, and I'm not familiar with the model you are considering this engine for, but if a 50cc engine is within the recommended size range, and if you are wanting to do IMAC - any class - I would go with a DL or some other "performance" (that's the only way I can think of to put it) engine.

I purchased my first DL from DL USA and my second (for my GP 27% Edge 540 ARF) from Valley View R/C.

Here's a few pics if you don't mind. [sm=49_49.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57347.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1030441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15099.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1030442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16806.jpg
Views:	35