Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Tips for a perfect crawler

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:02 PM
psychorevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for a perfect crawler

Don't want to be a noob but I am doing plans for a custom crawler. I just want basic tips that have worked for you that contribute to an awesome crawler.

Besides locked diffs and a torquey motor, what are some tips and ideas when building/customizing a rock crawler.

I met a guy at my LHS and he puts in 50 ball bearings in each of the front wheels for weight and vertical climbing. Does that help? If so, I was planning on buying some fishing weights and putting them into the tire.

TY in advance !!!!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:15 PM
K_B

Default RE: Tips for a perfect crawler

Airsoft BBs are best. The don't rust and if you fill the tire up about 75% full with no foams, it works pretty well. Copper BBs work to, but if you get water in there, they corrode. Fishing weights are kinda big and probably won't roll around in the tire properly.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:42 PM
chaman

Stick on weights are great also. Like the ones used to balance 1:1 car wheels and tires. Look closely and you will some glued on the inside of my custom Emaxx crawler. There are some also over the servo to increase weight in the front.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:43 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Airsift BB's Are NOT The Best!!! They are just another way to do it!! There are other methods to manipulating weight on your rig, Battery Location, Electronic Placement and finally Wheel Weights. Some people like the bb's some like water and some like stick-on wheel weights(My Personal Favorite) The whole point is there are no absolute BEST ways, just many ways. while searching for info on the internet keep in mind that most of what you will read is OPINION, with some fact sprinkled in(No Offense Intended K_B) Just read your search results with a healthy mix of skeptisizm.

I only offer this as a means of tempering your search with alittle wisdom(Too Many People Offer Their Opinion As Fact!!)
Old 11-08-2007, 07:46 PM
chaman

You can also install the wheel weights inside the rim before installing the tires for a cleaner look.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 PM
s7jstep1

a longer wheel base with correct weight placement and good tires
Old 11-10-2007, 12:28 AM
dezfan

ORIGINAL: s7jstep1

a longer wheel base with correct weight placement and good tires
With a max W/B of 12.5 inches for a 2.2, that will not be of help.

On a super, a well weighted rig will out crawl a poorly weighted rig regardless of it's W/B.

There is a reason most supers top out at a 18 W/B. To long of a rig can hurt you as much as poor weight placement.