Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM dealer questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM dealer questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:42 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BVM dealer questions

I am thinking of buying a BVM model and have asked a few people in the UK for quotes. At present I have received 2 replies and the price varies significantly. One price seems quite expensive and the other seems to have a confusion regarding VAT which makes me think they don't deal with BVM much (although I could be wrong).

Are there 'official' BVM dealers? If so, how do you tell these apart from shops that simply advertise BVM planes? Do you get any benefits from buying from an 'official' dealer? Do BVM official dealers (if there is such a thing) support all models on behalf of BV or are they only likely to support the kits that they sell? I assume BV will support all legitamately purchased models direct no matter where they were purchased?

Does BVM sell models direct internationally?

Does anyone know how BVM dealers make their money? Are they paid or is it a 'credit' system like Comp-ARF?

These might seem like odd questions but I am trying to decide if I would be making a mistake by taking advantage of the good exchange rate and purchasing direct from the US or whether I am better off in the long run buying locally.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:01 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BVM dealer questions

The official dealers are Jetline, Als, Leavesley Aviation and Motors and Rotors. All of these get their stock direct from BVM.

Which kit do you want? If you buy a Arf Bandit for instance then it will cost you roughly $4850.00 inc 6% state tax if you go and get it and carry it under your arm through customs so about £2450.00. If you buy it direct and get it shipped you won't pay the state tax but you will pay shipping ($300.00 ish)and the UK tax (25% ish) so £3050 which is about the same as you would pay from a BVM dealer over here.

Jason
Old 11-09-2007, 04:27 PM
siclick33

I'm toying with the idea of a composite Bobcat. I still haven't decided 100% yet.

I'll await the other replies to my quote requests and see what happens. At the moment, if I do buy one, I'm looking at buying from the states. One of the dealers doesn't seem to know whether BV's prices include VAT (and has quoted me £2025 delivered) and the other that has replied has quoted £2690 against my calculation of about £2185 + shipping. £500 for shipping and dealer markup sounds quite expensive to me unless I am missing something.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:35 PM
jason

I take it the 2025 price is not "go fly" ? If it is then put me down for one or two!

The 2690 is somewhere near.

J
Old 11-09-2007, 06:51 PM
rcjet lynch

We sell the kit for 3895.00 + shipping that is the go fly price and is a painted in the mold aircraft or 3595.00 for non painted plain white.
If you buy from a local shop that is a BVM dealer wich can be checked by looking under BV's website for offical dealers outside the US. It may be easier to find someone to help you if you buy it from them. If you support them they support you and so on.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:26 PM
trevor Skedge

Siclick33,

I agree with rcjet lynch. Support your dealer and they will support you.
Motors & Rotors carry stock, supply next day and some can't do this as It costs to carry expensive aeroplanes in stock.
I would think they are the UK's the biggest seller of jets like the BobCat so any quote from them would be solid. Give them a try if you haven't already. As Jason pointed out, the low price you were quoted would probably be the basic and not the go-fly.

Trevor Skedge.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:19 AM
ThomasP

Siclick33,

I am sure one can still save money on the self import route, however it has to be balanced against the hassle that can occur, damaged goods, loss of goods ect.

Buying from a UK dealer is going to cost you more, but you do get the back up, advice, and if you talk to them they can sometimes prevent an expensive mistakes.

I personally purchased a BVM Bobcat Comp from M & R and the backup and aftersales service has been first class.

Alistair.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have tried all sorts of things to get the costs down on buying. Unfortunately UK customs are pretty good at intercepting your package and, not only charging you tax, but charging for opening the package and billing you!
I now just deal with Motors and Rotors, know everything will work exactly as it should and it will be sorted very quickly if it doesn't. I can get hold of Dave whenever I need to or one of his guys can normally help. I don't waste time waiting for bits and know I won't waste time at the field with something that won't work properly.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:18 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: siclick33

I'm toying with the idea of a composite Bobcat. I still haven't decided 100% yet.

I'll await the other replies to my quote requests and see what happens. At the moment, if I do buy one, I'm looking at buying from the states. One of the dealers doesn't seem to know whether BV's prices include VAT (and has quoted me £2025 delivered) and the other that has replied has quoted £2690 against my calculation of about £2185 + shipping. £500 for shipping and dealer markup sounds quite expensive to me unless I am missing something.

us taxes are different , the charge only even in the us only tax if sold within the same state
so if you are taking a kit home , you dont have to pay it.

however uk vat is 17% you need to pay as soon entering the uk.
but then if you want bvm i urge you to get one now since the usd is a all time low.............
Old 11-10-2007, 07:46 PM
rolsen12

Re; Bobcat Composit .
Buy it regaurdless of the price, It's worth it.
And it flies without any mods at all.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:13 AM
siclick33

Thanks very much for all your help.

I have most of the answers I needed and have managed to get a kit at a good price Now I await with anticipation to see if BVM is as good as its reputation suggests.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:33 AM
rcpete2

BVM is the best!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks very much for the order. Just to let you know I managed to get that clear cockpit set and it will ship with the kit.
Regards Al
Old 01-09-2008, 01:41 PM
airflow

On the BVM site there is brief reference to the Thunderpower 1010 charger and tips to operate it. The link is no longer working.
http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/evf.htm I no longer see reference to Thunderpower and wonder if BVM has jettisoned TP for EVF ?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:06 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Airflow
Why not just call or email BVM and ask ?

Semper Fi
Joe