Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

only 22 days left until i get my savvy

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:45 AM
FP 4LC4PON3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default only 22 days left until i get my savvy

im so bored waiting for this last 22 days to finally end. december 7th is when i get my 2500 dollar yearly bonus from work and i want my savage x 4.6 ss. I have the money now but id rather spend my bonus.

what else do you guy think i should buy for the truck when i get it?

until then im keep bashing my xtm x-cellerator and playing with my onroads.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:57 AM
Surpluzz

Default RE: only 22 days left until i get my savvy

Are you new to the Savage? Great choice. I would start with hardened bell/spur gears. The 4.6 is very torquey and hardened gears will only give you peace of mind. You may plan on a different steering servo also. Other than that, the four six pretty much already has the good stuff. You might look into filling your differentials with silicone, research this first, I have just found it to be better. I stripped 3 diffs before I filled mine and havent stripped one since.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:08 AM
smalltownsavage

Good man, Savage is the way to go. I plan on getting yet another one here soon.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 AM
FP 4LC4PON3

yes im new to the Savage. i am going to have to buy the electronics cause im buying the savage x 4.6 ss kit wich said on the hpiracing website no radio or electronics. i def want to build it because ive heard that savages are hard to work on. so if i learn it by building it i can find easier ways to fix it.

ive always wanted a Savage and i know im making the right choice.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:15 AM
FP 4LC4PON3

can you show me what the bell looks like.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:25 AM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: FP 4LC4PON3

can you show me what the bell looks like.
The X SS is certainly the best choice to make. What the post above was referring to is the clutch bell. Your kit will come with a hardened steel spur gear which will chew up normal clutch bells so get either the HPI racing hardened clutch bell or the Robinson's clutch bell.

Normal...

Non-hardened and very chewed up (that's one tank BTW).

And I don't know where you heard that these are hard to work on, because that just isn't true. Getting the kit was the absolute best choice for learning the new truck...once you assemble it that first time you'll pretty much know how to strip it down again.

They may not be terribly easy to work on, but that's the compromise you make in a very sturdy truck.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:30 AM
go-to

yes im new to the Savage. i am going to have to buy the electronics cause im buying the savage x 4.6 ss kit wich said on the hpiracing website no radio or electronics. i def want to build it because ive heard that savages are hard to work on. so if i learn it by building it i can find easier ways to fix it.

ive always wanted a Savage and i know im making the right choice.
Get a Spektrum or the Futaba FASST radio system...you won't regret it at all.

The stock servo's will serve you well, but a better steering servo may be a good thing to look at.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:38 AM
FP 4LC4PON3

yeah but how come it sais NO electronics on the hpi website? doesnt that mean no servo's or radio?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:08 AM
SpikeX

With the X SS, you will have to buy your own servos, transmitter, reciever, reciever battery pack, etc. as far as electronics go. You will also need the normal stuff like a glow plug ignitor and a few spare parts, and don't forget the thread lock and oils needed to assemble the car.

I personally have an X SS, and I built it at 12 years old (13 now). It really is an incredible car, and I loved putting it together in the first place.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:11 PM
REVO X
My Feedback: (10)

$2500[:-] If i got the money I'll get a LST2
Old 11-15-2007, 12:17 PM
go-to

yeah but how come it says NO electronics on the hpi website? doesnt that mean no servo's or radio?
Correct...you will need transmitter, receiver, battery (hump pack!), and 2 servo's. I was just saying that the stock servo's would be good enough if budget limits you.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:18 PM
-SomeGuy-

$2500 If i got the money I'll get a LST2
I would get both. Welcome to the savage section of RCU by the way.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:38 PM
dhyde79

if the savage is hard to work on, I don't want to picture what the other RC trucks are like, I can tear mine all the way down to the same state your kit will come in within 45 minutes, and reassemble it in about the same, (I've done it about 50 times already though, so maybe that's practice)

the kit is definately the way to go, because then you're building it right the first time, and any upgrades you want to do to it, you can be doing while build it, instead of building it, buying an upgrade, tearing it back apart, putting the new part(s) in, and reassembling time and time again.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:49 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

well what other ups should i get besides what i have been already told. i got the money its not a problem and is the RTR even worth it at all. j/w
Old 11-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Surpluzz

I know people dont like Integy, but I recommend 1 thing, get the frame braces, they really add some strength. I have a skid plate also and it works well.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:24 PM
raptornut
My Feedback: (20)

I,m going with the savage kit too, it will be my First nitro truck , but after helicopters a truck kit should'nt be that hard and i'm kinda tired of helis. guess I'll get ready for some blisters since the kit engine has the 4.6 pull start, But isnt it a better engine than the RTR comes with. like 8 ports and a better pipe. please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:34 PM
clubin

ORIGINAL: raptornut

I,m going with the savage kit too, it will be my First nitro truck , but after helicopters a truck kit should'nt be that hard and i'm kinda tired of helis. guess I'll get ready for some blisters since the kit engine has the 4.6 pull start, But isnt it a better engine than the RTR comes with. like 8 ports and a better pipe. please correct me if i'm wrong.
Welcome to Savage, I had Helis, I was great at crashing, I like R/C's that go on the ground. LOL I don't like the sight of a Heli beating itself to death. The 4.6 starts great when set up properly, you won't get blisters. The SS comes with the same engine as the rtr but the SS comes with a polished pipe.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:03 AM
FP 4LC4PON3

yeah but the k4.6 is better then the f4.6 tho. thats what i was told that the kit engine was a bit faster or was it better torque one of the 2.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:36 AM
raptornut

I read the RTR has a 7.5mm carb and the kit engine has a 8.5mm carb. am i correct or did i read it wrong, Ialso went with the robinson spur pinoin set, hope it works out better than the ones that come in the kit, and of course the rubicon jeep body, going to paint it to match my full size one.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:41 AM
raptornut

ORIGINAL: clubin

ORIGINAL: raptornut

Welcome to Savage, I had Helis, I was great at crashing, I like R/C's that go on the ground. LOL I don't like the sight of a Heli beating itself to death. The 4.6 starts great when set up properly, you won't get blisters. The SS comes with the same engine as the rtr but the SS comes with a polished pipe.
your right on the heli crashes, ive spent enough on carbon blades to buy 10 Savages, Im ready to stayon the ground too.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:53 AM
ravenlunatic

FP 4LC4PON3, Don't worry about the harden clutch bell, the XSS comes with one. i've had my XSS for alittle more then 7 months now and the things i'd reccomend you get would be: RPM center skid, electronics and a high torque steering servo (300oz or so). the center skid will make the truck sturdier, and as for the servo go with somthing thats quick and strong, it'll be nice to have when bashing hardcore. i hope you have as much fun with the build as i did! when you're done bash the hell out of it!!
Old 11-16-2007, 12:07 PM
go-to

Don't forget the receiver hump pack!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:56 PM
ntloser

$2500 YEAH.. don't skimp on the electronics

I would go with the SS X kit without the engine. Assuming you already have your electronics and fuel accessories, you can look into replacing some parts that come in the kit; I would recommend the following;
(Replacing the linkage and tire foam should be considered mandatory and, if you get the kit without the engine you will obviously need an engine.)
; dual fiber brake, 3speed, reverse module, pipe, engine, wheel / rim combo, TVP, skid plate, fuel tank, linkage, aluminum bulkhead braces, lower suspension, have aluminum parts anodized the color of your choice, LST shocks and shock conversion, lower arms from older savage.

That should put a good dent into the budget if not use it all depending on the motor. Oh yeah you may need other drive train upgrades if you get a monster motor.