Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Check this new skin out...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check this new skin out...

X body for my old school savage De-x'd. I removed the X from the decals since I don't have an X. Not too shabby looking, but not really that creative either. I really need to airbrush sometime. I like it though. Truck looks pretty cool. Better then the Escalade body I was rolling.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:34 AM
SportsFans

Default RE: Check this new skin out...

Looks good bro, did you use masking tape, or liquid mask?
Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Dale Gribble

Just masking tape on this one. By the way dude, your bodies are SICK, wow!!! Makes mine look like a third grader did it with a 5" brush.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:42 AM
SportsFans

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Just masking tape on this one. By the way dude, your bodies are SICK, wow!!! Makes mine look like a third grader did it with a 5" brush.
Nah man your lid looks great. Nice clean lines that's why I asked. That body looks like one of my first lids. That's how I started only 4 bodies ago, so when you get that airbrush .......WHATCH OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Small learning curve though.

Thax bro!!!

sports
Old 11-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Vigilante212

Not to knock anything sportsfan painted, but his design is pretty simplistic easy enough to recreate with some masking tape and a rattle can. I do like the chrome and green though. Im using some chrome on my next body spax stix mirror chrome im going to spray some test stuff tonight Ill post the pics if anyone wants to see.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:51 AM
SportsFans

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

Not to knock anything sportsfan painted, but his design is pretty simplistic easy enough to recreate with some masking tape and a rattle can. I do like the chrome and green though. Im using some chrome on my next body spax stix mirror chrome im going to spray some test stuff tonight Ill post the pics if anyone wants to see.
Well for me It's not simple at all. The H2 lid took me 3 day to do it right and still forgot a few thing. Like I said before I must make alist so I don't forget anything. My last 2 skins were advance skins not simple at all, but yes Vigilante212 the Green and Chrome skin was simpler but still required a airbrush for me at least. Maybe you haven't seen my last 2 lids the Blue GT body and the H2. Check out my Photobucket page below. http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/a...s77/?start=all Good luck with your body, if I can help let me know.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Dale Gribble

SportsFan- I was about to say what the hell to Vigilante... He was being sarcastic. I guess that smiley face was meant to show it was a joke. Your bodies are awesome.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:41 PM
SportsFans

Yup I think was pulling my leg, or maybe he has a better grip on this painting thing. I'd like to see your next one Dale and Vigilante212 so do post it when you do them. I love seeing them. They all give me ideas for my next lid, because all of my lids I've gotten ideas from someone else or another an added my on flavor to it. So thanks to all I've borrowed from in the past.

thanks again.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Vigilante212

My bad forgot about your tear ones yea thats alot more work. Didnt mean annoy offence and wasnt being sarcastic. I always paint sample swatches before I ever even think about painting a body since I wanna know if it will look dumb or not . I found the best thing to use for this is transparancy flm you can buy it at office depot. Some people use empty 2 liter soda bottles too because it simulates painting inside a body. I didnt get a chance to paint today I still need to pick up some paint tinner and a resperator im going to be using some oil based paint for my next one dont want to be breathing that in.

Im still working on shadowing I dont think my airbrush can handle it very well. If you wanna see some bad ass painters go here.

[link=http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1407&page=409]http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1407&page=409[/link]

and I think if I like the outcome of my test swatch tommorow I might try this tecnique [link=http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=189697]http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=189697[/link]
Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 PM
SportsFans

Hey no problem man, Yup I've been to that site, alot of good work there. Each lid is a progression on the previous lid. so Dale Gribble you'll get up there you have a great start. Vigilante212 I test on a scrap peice of Lexan there usually little scrap peices trimmed off of completed lids never thought of using a 2 liter pop bottle. I will remember that. Can't wait to see your lid.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Vigilante212

Yea ive only done 3 lids so far, actually 4 if I include my xxx-nt one. You can check them out in my gallery. My last one turned out really good except for some smearing where I couldnt quite get at the LM on the rear risers. the one im doing now will be my most detailed one to date. I opted for some custom paint masks made isntead of having to cut all the details out in Liquid masking.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Vigilante212

Ok got my new test paint done. I wanted to see if I could make some translucent paint look good with chrome. It failed miserably, no biggy though the fade and chrome looks sweet together. As for the mask the sizes for my test piece are tiny, but the full size ones are about 1" by 1". I also see why people use chrome as an accent it shows every minor imperfection. Ill need to make sure my body is super clean and dust free when I start. lemme know what you think
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69799.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	806488  
Old 11-18-2007, 01:39 PM
SportsFans

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

Ok got my new test paint done. I wanted to see if I could make some translucent paint look good with chrome. It failed miserably, no biggy though the fade and chrome looks sweet together. As for the mask the sizes for my test piece are tiny, but the full size ones are about 1" by 1". I also see why people use chrome as an accent it shows every minor imperfection. Ill need to make sure my body is super clean and dust free when I start. lemme know what you think
Yup I found that out with my newest lid, the lighter tranlucent colors don't work well backed with chrome so the fade to chrome really doesn't work well. It seems the darker colors, green, blue, a darker red and purple work great. Orange and yellow is a no go in my book, they must be backed with white. As in my H2 lid it was to be california orange and it was until I backed it with Chrome then it took on a sort of amber orange. Good luck
Old 11-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Vigilante212

ive backed with white and silver and they still look like **** .
Old 11-18-2007, 03:08 PM
TheOtherSide

Holy Crap SportsFans.... your Hummer with those wheels looks insanely good!! Wow.... I like lots!!!

Maybe it's been asked... but what wheels are those??
Old 11-18-2007, 03:32 PM
SportsFans

ORIGINAL: TheOtherSide

Holy Crap SportsFans.... your Hummer with those wheels looks insanely good!! Wow.... I like lots!!!

Maybe it's been asked... but what wheels are those??
Thanks TheOtherSide they are Proline 40 Weld Cheyenne series Chrome Wheels http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXJVG0&P=K I had to de-chrome them because the chrome either falls off or turns gray rather quickly, and then they look like hell. So I de-chromed what chrome or gray was left and painted the centers black, the outer rim aren't painted. The centers paint allow to dry 4 day's and then sealed another 4 day's so I don't think they will not chip. I couldn't get it to chip with my finger nail so I think I'm good. Thanks man glad you like.