Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

SuperTalon to go into production

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

SuperTalon to go into production

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 AM
KJMDES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperTalon to go into production

I am happy to announce that the SuperTalon has been picked up by a manufacturer, and will go into production early next year.

It will be a full Lazercut kit which all the bells and whistles to build a top quality full-house ship. New airfoil, wing design, fuselage modifications and hardware.

Exciting news.

Cheers
Kevin
Old 11-29-2007, 02:03 AM
glenglider

Default RE: SuperTalon to go into production

Exciting news indeed - Well done and good luck. I know I am near the front of the queue when this model hits the market. The kitted Talon was great with a few mods, cant wait for her big sister.
Well done Kevin
Old 11-29-2007, 03:47 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Good 4 U Kevin! I know you've been working hard on this one... you deserve it[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-29-2007, 05:39 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hope the final price will be reasonable enough that I can afford it.

papermache
Old 11-29-2007, 09:25 AM
KJMDES

Thanks everyone.

Considering the fact that the Super will be lasercut, 60 inches, and improved in every respect, what price would you Realistically see as fair?

Cheers
Kevin
Old 11-29-2007, 10:42 AM
boberos

This is excellent news, Kevin.
Conratulations.
I wonder if it will have an electric power option?
Bob
Old 11-29-2007, 11:01 AM
KJMDES

I think that would be something I would push for. The parts will be in the kit to build either nose, so if the Manufacturer sees a point to it, they may spec a system. It loves the EP setup

Cheers
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14485.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	814676  
Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

An EP version would make for a very nice looking warm or hotliner.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:56 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Kevin,

In answer to the question what I would consider to be a REALISTIC price for this kit, I'd say that's a hard question to answer. First of all, there aren't that many laser cut sailplane kits out there to compare with. Secondly, there are a few questions to answer about this kit. Will it be a FULL or a SHORT kit? Will it come with an all-inclusive hardware package, a partial hardware package or no hardware at all? Will an EP version be a seperate kit or will the kit be a "build-either-one" type of thing? All these things can effect the final price.

About the only thing I could find to compare with your proposed kit is Tom Martin's 1:8 scale SGS 126B (60" span). Tom sells this as a short kit for $92, a hardware package for $25 and a "long stock" package (stick and sheet wood) for $30. Total comes to $147 for what amounts to a full kit.

Considering the engineering costs and tooling costs to start this venture out, I'd say $200 would be about the maximum I'd consider reasonable.

papermache
Old 11-30-2007, 11:16 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry, you hit my "ta heck with that! I'll scratch build something like it" limit at the $100 mark.

OK, yeah I know I'm cheap! I'd still say a wood only kit should be around the $100 to 140 mark. For a model of this sort the hardware will depend on the tastes of the builder. I'd say wood only.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:20 AM
KJMDES

Well lets see;

- This would be a full kit. Everything for either version. Sail or EP. Which is nothing more than a forward bulkhead option.

- No provision for conventional tail on this one. V only. And not full-flying.

- This is a simple kit really. Modern interlock construction, about 20% more mass than the original.

- Full planes, manual, etc.

I cannot speak to what the manufacturer has in mind on pricing. But judging from their current line, it should be reasonable. Whatever you make of that.

Cheers
Kevin
Old 10-31-2008, 07:17 PM
KJMDES

Hi guys,
All is moving forward for the full kit. I am doing both the Super and the Twist-O-Flex at the moment. The Twist-O will be the first one finished ,as it is a bit less complicated in some ways, 2 channel, box fuse, etc. Its also a better test subject for SA and I to get on the same page, to smooth the way for the Super.

My expectation is to get the Twist-O out to SA in about two weeks. The feedback from SA will give me the final direction to finish the construction geometry for the Super.

I should mention here that both these ships are purely designed in Solidworks. For us builders, we are used to knocking out prototypes fairly quickly. Hard to beat an X-acto and a creative push. In the case of CAD, its all about getting it right from the get-go. Incorporating features that might be deemed too late to do, or redo, when we are physically building a new design. So things tend to drag a bit. But of course, the end result should be far more pleasing from a fit and function standpoint. And technologically, the CAD work translates directly to production, saving rework costs and time.

Both ships will be a challenge to build, as the Talon was when it was introduced. I wish I could have taped Bob Martins reaction when he saw the fuselage construction. Something like, "Who could build that?". Well, history proved otherwise, and his projection of the Talons ultimate production run of less that 2,000 units is a bit comical now, twenty-one years later.

But what will be apparent, when these kits are released, is that they will represent state-of-the-art in assembly methodolgy. Arguably the most challenging aspect of the design effort.

As far as intellectual property issues are concerned, Dynaflite/GreatPlanes has never answered any coorespondence I've sent concerning the Super. Or anything else, for that matter. That in inself is a telling indication about thier relationship to designers, and I'm not alone in this opinion. Regardless, they have no legal standing concerning the Super, it is by most definitions, nothing like the Talon. Other than the base fuse construction.

SA may opt to do variations of the kits, but of course, that is thier concern and I have no present indication either way.

The upshot here is that the Twist-O will likely beat the Super to market by a month. I would encourage you all to take a good look at it when I am allowed to release the images. It should be a relatively inexpensive kit, and if it handles at least as good as the original, should be a blast at the slope. With economics as they are, supporting this effort is the best way to ensure the Super follows up in production. Simple as that.

So thats about it for now. Hope it encourages you. I'm pretty enthusiastic at this point, and am looking forward to building some kits and getting out to the slopes.

Cheers,
Kevin
Old 11-01-2008, 12:25 PM
elmog

Hi Kevin-

To be realistic, I purchased the CHRYSALIS 2 meter electric kit FOR $70 on sale from the manufacturer (DJ Aerotech). It's regular price is $85 and is a full laser-cut kit and quite complete. Many might say they would offer a lot more for the Super, but in reality, most folks do comparison shopping when considering a new project. To be successful, it must be competitively priced. To price it way beyond the competition will only lead to a few initial sales from people that just have to have one, and then a slow death in the marketplace. I would purchase the Super for $80 to $90, considering the Dynaflite Talon kit sells for less than $35 at Hobby People. Many folks probably think like me when it comes to spending our limited hobby money and would like to feel like they are getting good value for the dollars spent. I know that lot's of folks will probably disagree with me, but don't make the mistake of asking $200 like the above poster suggested and then have to lower it to $60 just to survive.
I've seen a few Talons at the slope and most guys are happy with the way it performs and the quality of the kit. More span, an easier build and better quality would be welcome, but only at a reasonable asking price. Jim
Old 11-01-2008, 01:19 PM
KJMDES

Sounds reasonable to me. I'll do my best to keep it under $80. More seems at bit much in my opinion.

Cheers,
Kevin
Old 11-04-2008, 01:51 AM
glenglider

Go Kevin go - cant wait for this one. I suppose I should finish my Super from the pdf plans you sent me some time back. Procrastination is the thief of time!!
Who or what is SA in your above post? Please explain for us dim whits.
Glen
Old 11-05-2008, 01:34 AM
KJMDES

Hi Guys,
SA is Stevens Aero. But I am in alternate discussions now and will have the manuafacturer locked down over the next couple of weeks. In time to deliver the Twist-O-Flex

Cheers,
Kevin