Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Changing engine mounts on ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Changing engine mounts on ARF

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 05:05 AM
Marino420TD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing engine mounts on ARF

I have a Hangar 9 Cap 232 ARF and I want to put a larger engine on it than the current engine mount will hold. The blind nuts currently installed have been epoxied in place. Does anyone know an easy way to install a new engine mount with a different hole pattern than the original?

Will it hurt if the centerline of the engine does not exactly match the centerline of the fuselage?
Old 04-04-2003, 05:59 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

If you offset the engine the spinner wont line up with the cowl corectly for one and it will affect trim but so slight you most likely wouldn't notice

If the t-nuts are epoxied in try using a soldering iron to heat them up before trying to push them out, the heat will soften the epoxy enough to not do to much damage when you knock them
out.
Fill the old holes with the right size wood dowel and drill your new holes
Finish plane,Fly plane, Have fun
Old 04-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Kaos Rulz

Excellent advise and works well.

I might add to remove, or shield the tank (if it's close to the firewall) so that the soldering tip, or a hot blind-nut doesn't hit the tank when being pushed out.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:23 PM
BillHarris

Another way to heat the T-nuts is to thread a longer bolt into it and heat with a propane torch. Tap the heated bolt with a hammer to loosen the T-nut.

Drill the old hole oversize (like 3/16 or 1/4") and glue in a wood dowel to eliminate it. A new hole can be drilled very close to the eliminated hole if need be.

Try and get the engine centerlines to match up, it'll look better.