Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Quadra 75 good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quadra 75 good or bad?

I don't have any experience with Q-75s. Are these good running reliable engines?

Also what is the recommended size/pitch for a 3-blade on this engine?
Old 12-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Quadra 75 good or bad?

ORIGINAL: Warbird Man

I don't have any experience with Q-75s. Are these good running reliable engines?

Also what is the recommended size/pitch for a 3-blade on this engine?
I fly one on a Ziroli Skyraider. Excellent engine, runs strong, throttes well with moderate vibration. The angled carb and rear exhaust reduces the overall width. Great warbird engine. I don't think you could ever wear one out! Mine still has the mag ignition and uses a spring starter.

Sorry, not sure what 3 blade prop to recommend as I have only run mine with 2 bladed props. Usually a 24-10.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

I will second what Truckracer said about the Q75. I have one in a Meister 102" ME109G (34lbs) and it has been a very good engine and very reliable. Starts easily, cold or hot. Mine has electronic ignition (C&H I think). I run a Bolly carbon fiber 22x12 prop--get about 7500 rpms on the ground and it idles at 1600-1700. It does vibrate, but I am not sure how it compares to other engines this size. The weight is fine in a warbird. The angled carb is helpful in fitting it in a cowl. I haven't run a three blade on it. I'd guess a 22x10 would be fine, but perhaps others have actually used one with it. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Warbird Man

I'm looking for an engine for my Ziroli P-40. I generally stick with Zenohas and the plane will fly with a G-62. But I gotta have a 3-blader on it and a G-62 witha 20" 3-blade would look alittle too small. I like the idea of the Q-75 for the rear exhaust and angled carb set up. But the vibration issue worries me.
I wish Zenoha would make larger single cylinder , rear exhaust / carbed engines.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Truckracer

I'm looking for an engine for my Ziroli P-40. I generally stick with Zenohas and the plane will fly with a G-62. But I gotta have a 3-blader on it and a G-62 witha 20" 3-blade would look alittle too small. I like the idea of the Q-75 for the rear exhaust and angled carb set up. But the vibration issue worries me.
I wish Zenoha would make larger single cylinder , rear exhaust / carbed engines.
If you regularly fly G62s and that level of vibration is acceptable, don't worry about the Quadra! My 75 might even be a bit smooter than some G62 installations I have flown. I would highly recommend the Q-75.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Flyfast1

Yeah, I can see how you'd want something bigger than a G-62 with a Ziroli P40 and a three blade prop. That prop will look small on that plane! With my ME109G with the large spinner (7.5" I think), I can't tell you how many people have questioned whether the plane will fly with the prop (22")! It does look small with that spinner, but the plane flies just fine.

Have you considered maybe a DA85? I am thinking of building another Meister ME109G and I had to add weight to the tail of my current one (the Q75 is heavy), so I was thinking I could make it lighter by using a different engine. The DA85 might also be smoother. The aerobatic guys seem to really like the DA85 and say it is almost as smooth as a DA100, so I think that is a pretty significant comment. It also appears to provide good power. You would have to add lead to the P40, but maybe it wouldn't be that bad. What do you think?

-Ed B.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Warbird Man

Well, I guess there is alot of other options to consider. I definitely cannot have any engine parts sticking out on this one. My biggest concern with those high priced, high HP light weight engines is that they don't seem to last very long before something goes wrong. (not to open a can of worms here)

For a warbird, I'd rather have the heavy, good 'ol mag., reliable long lasting engines. Also not a big fan of electronic ignitions. One more thing to maintain and go wrong.

Those engines are great on 3-D, Aerobatic planes that defy the laws of gravity. They can float down incase of on engine out. On a warbird, that can lead to a disaster.

(Just a thought)
Old 12-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Flyfast1

Another option to consider is a 3W engine. You are probably already aware of them. I noticed they have both rear carb versions and also angled carb versions. The angled carb version might provide better access to the needles and still stay inside your cowl. My Quadra 75 has an angled carb that allowed me to fit it in the nose, without any of the carb protruding outside the plane. I understand the desire to keep it all hidden in the cowl. At the risk of starting a flame war here, which is not my intent, I think that the DA 85 will be reliable once they get any of the kinks worked out. Seems like they did a lot of research and testing before release. My personal feeling is that for every post on here about someone having a problem, there are many, many others who are flying DA engines with no problems at all. I like electronic ignitions for the ease of starting, but certainly understand your position about using what you know works and are comfortable with.

Please let us know your decision and how it works out. I am very interested!

Thanks,

-Ed B.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Truckracer

Well, I guess there is alot of other options to consider. I definitely cannot have any engine parts sticking out on this one. My biggest concern with those high priced, high HP light weight engines is that they don't seem to last very long before something goes wrong. (not to open a can of worms here)

For a warbird, I'd rather have the heavy, good 'ol mag., reliable long lasting engines. Also not a big fan of electronic ignitions. One more thing to maintain and go wrong.

Those engines are great on 3-D, Aerobatic planes that defy the laws of gravity. They can float down incase of on engine out. On a warbird, that can lead to a disaster.

(Just a thought)
Everything you said about the Q-75 plus more is why I recommend it for a warbird ..... compact side carb, rear exhaust, weight that is usually needed in a warbird, plenty of power, a simple mag ignition, extremely long life and lots of cooling fin area. I usually prefer electronic ignition but stuffing the box and batteries in the front of some warbirds can be a problem .... not much room up there in some cases.

I enjoy the current generation of engines and you won't find me saying much against them, but that old Quadra is always a joy to fire up and fly. Not the ultimate engine by any means but a darn good one for many purposes.