Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How do I Prep & Paint a Painted Cowl ?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How do I Prep & Paint a Painted Cowl ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I Prep & Paint a Painted Cowl ?

Hello, Can someone shed a little light on how to best prep and paint a previously painted cowl ? I'm starting a scratch build project of my own design. I am started with a previously painted cowl from a Sig 33% Edge 540T ARF cowling. It is painted with (Sig ?) unknown blue and yellow paint with black painted pinstripes. My future project will be with Purple Metalic Ultracote and the cowl will be painted using Ultracote's matching purple metalic paint. Just wondered how do I best prepare this cowl to accept a total new paint job?
Thanks
Daryl

Old 12-09-2007, 11:14 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How do I Prep & Paint a Painted Cowl ?

First clean it with alcohol, then you can rough sand it to get the sheen off with 220 and then 400 grit.

I would put something simply and cheap like lusterkote white primer from home depot, you pay a few ounce weight penalty, but your purple will be less dark than if you spray it over the blue and yellow.

One thing I like to play with is how I can get two tones, like spray white on the edges in primer, and then black on the inside of a surface. Then spray say silver over all of it, and you get two tones of silver as an outcome. Never tried purple, but it should work!