Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ship it or buy a new one??????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ship it or buy a new one??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:19 PM
lkramer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ship it or buy a new one??????

Here's my problem. I recently moved from AR to Northern VA.
I have an assembled .40 hobbico (superstar or maybe flightstar?) trainer plane that is in AR. that I never learned to fly due to lack of people to help me learn after I demolished my first trainer one too many times. The plane has been in a storage building for 10+ years.
I am planning on learning to fly now that I am in an area where I should be able to hook up with a trainer or club and not have to worry about planting my plane on its maiden flight.

I am debating what would be cheaper. Buy a new Tower Trainer, or similar brand ARF trainer and strip my unused, but assembled, trainer and mail the radio, engine...etc to VA.
OR
bite the bullet and ship the thing as is from AR to VA.
After looking around I am starting to think it would be cheaper to just buy a new one. What to you think? [sm=confused.gif]

Old 12-11-2007, 04:32 PM
meaden

Default RE: Ship it or buy a new one??????

10+ ? Strip the good bits and start fresh.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:39 PM
lkramer

Yeah., it's been hanging up in there over 10 years. I assume the covering is still good, but ya never know. Does Monokote deteriorate over time if stored in a garage?
Old 12-11-2007, 04:54 PM
frugalflyer

10 years in storage should not be a problem. Neither should shipping. It's just a question of cost. A new trainer set up will cost you about $300. I don't think shipping and a bit of a cleaning fluid will come near that.
I have some planes that are over 25 yrs old and have been shipped UK to OH to AR and back OH and I still fly them. I also several others (made in the USA ) that also took part in these moves.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:00 PM
meaden

I agree, I have planes pushing 20yrs old that have been bounced around the world and rebuilt a few times.

But if your a new flyer with no building experience it might be better to start fresh than try to re-condition an old plane.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 PM
lkramer

Building an ARF isn't too difficult, if i remember correctly. Cost is the main factor here. The trainer i have already has everthing installed. I am sure the radio and rx need new batteries, but other than that is should be good to go. My concern is that it may be cheaper to build a new ARF with my old radio and engine than it is to ship the already built one. Tower has their trainer selling at about $70 and I dont think i could ship it for that much. I know it's wingspan was over 5'. That alone means a bigger box and more expensive shipping fees.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:10 PM
meaden

Man...sorry I even posted on this one.

If your being nit-picky about shipping a plane you need to know how much the rest of us have spent on this "hobby"

Forget it and go fly.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Flying freak

Im sure you've thought of this but 10+ years depending how much the "+" is the rc/tx may no longer be legal....

Steven
Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 AM
lkramer

Can you please explain why it may not be legal? Have radios changed that much in 10-15 years? Thanks.

Meaden, I understand this hobby can be very expensive. I'm not being nit picky. All I meant was that if I can buy a new trainer and transplant my radio and engine into it for a lot cheaper than i can ship the old plane that would make more sense to me. Right now I am just weighing options and looking for opinions from people with the experince.
I have also been searching for cheaper shipping options. If anyone has any reccomendations I would appreciate them.
Thanks!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Flying freak

We now use "narrow band" i believe this was changed in 92? i think someone needs to help me on that cause i wasnt around for it but anyways the older radios if lets say your on channel 40 you will shoot people down on 39 40 and 41.

That the best i can explain it
(id wait for someone to come in and tell us exactly when it was put in and all the the other fun details)
Steven
Old 12-12-2007, 09:38 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: lkramer

Here's my problem. I recently moved from AR to Northern VA.
I have an assembled .40 hobbico (superstar or maybe flightstar?) trainer plane that is in AR. that I never learned to fly due to lack of people to help me learn after I demolished my first trainer one too many times. The plane has been in a storage building for 10+ years.
I am planning on learning to fly now that I am in an area where I should be able to hook up with a trainer or club and not have to worry about planting my plane on its maiden flight.

I am debating what would be cheaper. Buy a new Tower Trainer, or similar brand ARF trainer and strip my unused, but assembled, trainer and mail the radio, engine...etc to VA.
OR
bite the bullet and ship the thing as is from AR to VA.
After looking around I am starting to think it would be cheaper to just buy a new one. What to you think? [sm=confused.gif]

An assembled plane is a real chore to ship. You would need to crate it, and it won't be cheap! I'de suggest you strip your engine and radio gear out of it, and maybe make a good deal to a buyer for $50 or so and buy a new trainer. As to your radio gear, if it was manufactured after 1991, it will meet the current narrow band standards. Welcome back to flying, glad to see you have an opportunity to learn with an instructor and do it the "inexpensive" way. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:51 AM
lkramer

Thanks for the info on the radio. If I remember correctly it was bought in 1993 and I am sure it's a JR brand 4 channel radio.
I will take by a local hobby shop to get their input and make sure I can't end up causing any problems with it.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:02 AM
meaden

That close to '91 you can look on the back ot the radio and it might have a gold sticker. Which means your golden...

Not the best photo, but here is the one on the back of my old Futaba Conquest.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30578.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	824076  
Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 AM
lkramer

Cool. Thanks for the pic. I will make sure to check the back of the radio.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was made after 1991 it's probably fine, just swap out the batteries for new ones. And you can get a new trainer ARF for $60 if you know where to look, I'd strip parts out of the old one and start anew.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:34 PM
pt19 flyer

hi

fly it...I have a plane, a lanier caprice which goes back to mid -60's still flying...this is a mostly plastic plane and still in good shape.
on the radio however make sure it is fcc approved. equipment prior to around 1994 is not currently legal to use. contact the manufacturer giving them the model and they can tell you if it is legal to use. if not and you use it and have some type of damage involved AMA insurance would not cover you.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer