Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Hangar9 Breitling issues

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Hangar9 Breitling issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 01:05 AM
helicool
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar9 Breitling issues

So, I get the Hangar9 .40 sized Cap 232. Everything is going fine until I reach the part about installing the pushrods for the elevator and rudder. What the heck are they thinking about when they design something like this? I cannot get those two rods to go into the corresponding holes to save my life here! I must have been at it for at least an hour now! Any tips for this? BTW cant even fit hand half way into the fuse.help :
Old 04-07-2003, 01:28 AM
bentgear

Rich, next time you are at the hobby shop pick up 2 of the long clear antenna tubes (approx 36") and run them in thru the slots in the back forward to the servo compartment. Screw them onto the wires and then just pull everthing thru.
Ed M.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:56 AM
SloFlight-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I had the same problem. Here's what I did. Take the "Y" and bend it out so it is to big to fit all of the way back into the fuse...as you push it back there, it will compress & then you can just jimmy it around untill both of the pushrods pop out. Alternativly....I recently did away with the single pushrod "Y" design and added 2 servos to the tail of the plane. I've got a OS. 61 up front os balance actually worked out well by just moving the battery a little bit.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:33 AM
helicool

Default Thought about that

I thought about that. I ended up using a couple of tubes from my crashed cub to bring the Y through. Thanks!! I may end up doing the same thing with mine. Did you use a reverser or your radio? Ive only got the TT 46 pro on mine right now but I may pick up a bigger engine for it. I had to put two big blocks of wood behind the engine mount for it to reach. I imagine thats going to throw the CG off but I can play with that later. Oh well thanks again!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:42 PM
SloFlight-RCU

Default Reversed Servo

I use a Hitec Eclipse radio, so if you want to use 2 elevator servo's via the radio mixing, you end up having to trim with one of the rotary nobs, as opposed to the trim on the radio. It sucks. So, rather than going through the expendature of getting digital servos, I just "Manually" revsersed a servo by switching the wires on the motor and on the pot...works well. Alternativly, you could just use to of the new Hitec Mini-Mighty digital servos, they have like 70 or 80oz of torque and would add even less weight....then you could just reverse via the programmer (if you already got one).

Micah
Old 04-09-2003, 04:29 AM
Rather B Flying
My Feedback: (3)

Default ???

How can you setup the cap 232 to use 2 elevator servos. I would love to do it instead of using the stock pushrods. At neutral, the elevator halves are even. At the extremes, they are not. I think that contributes to the snap tendency at full throws. by the way the saito 100 is great. however i think i would have went with a big 2 stroke for the horsepower.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:35 PM
SloFlight-RCU

Default Re: ???

Originally posted by usatours
How can you setup the cap 232 to use 2 elevator servos. I would love to do it instead of using the stock pushrods. At neutral, the elevator halves are even. At the extremes, they are not. I think that contributes to the snap tendency at full throws. by the way the saito 100 is great. however i think i would have went with a big 2 stroke for the horsepower.
I'll post a couple of pics tonight. Basically, though, I just cut a couple of holes in the back of the fuse, just in front of the stab & at a level that would put my servo arms level with the control horns. If you search around here on RCU, you'll find a couple of threads that discuss reversing servos. Keep in mind that some of the newer standard servo's wont work as the pot and motor are integrated with the circuit board. I used a JR-537 (I think) that I had lying around. Alternativly, you could use digital servos, or a reversing Y...but I think they have high failure rates (The Y's). Since I had the .61 up front I didn't have any balance issues & I think I actually cut a little weight as I was using a fiberglass "Y"'d control rod.

I personally, wish I would have used the new mini-digital servo's from Hitec...the would be a lot less unsightly.

A little hard to discribe my exact installation, but I'll post some pics tonight.

By the way....I just put my saito 100 on & gave it a run lastnight.......WOW is all I can say. On a side note, on my way outised, I ran the elevator into the door jam HARD....busted one of the CA hinges, so I'll have to fix that up before the weekend
Old 04-10-2003, 10:29 PM
helicool

Default I think I may got to a 61 (2c)

Im thinking about going to a 61 2 stroke on this plane. The .46 does fly it nice but I think it needs the extra kick in the pants for some really crazy flying. I definately think I will put two servos in the tail when that happens. I could probably move the battery to the CG then. Its in the nose now.

Im sure that using the same location as the elevator links exit now is probably an ok place for the servos. The you just get extensions and reverse it in your radio. That is, if you have a computer radio. If not, just use a servo reverser and it will work fine. I think another option would be a matchbox. It would just add weight though.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:23 PM
helicool

Default THE WING BROKE IN TWO!

Well folks, I guess Im going to have to call Hangar9 becauseI was out flying yesterday and my spar broke. The wings folded back like a swept wing fighter and she went in. It snapped on the right side right next to the fuse. I was on my upline into a split s and it just failed. I guess it may have been broken previously. Doesnt really make any sense. I am not a very violent type of flyer either. And they cant say it was because of the center joint because that is completely intact. Just a heads up to you guys out there flying this plane.

Rich