Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Aerotow plane ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:07 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerotow plane ?

I'm looking at building a tow plane for 100" wing span gliders. Would a OS 1.20 2 stroke in something like this get the job done?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWH2&P=0
I don't even know of the fit or balance with a 1.20 but just trying to get some ideas on what it might take. I've never seen a RC aerotow and there isn't anyone in my club that flies gliders. I want to start and I think a aerotow plane would also be a good little winter project. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated, Thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:00 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 382 Likes on 308 Posts
Default RE: Aerotow plane ?

I dont know about a Cub. We use a Kadet Sr with a 91 four stroke, low pitch big prop (not sure what size).

It has a rack that totes up 2m gliders like they arent there. There's some great threads around here on aerotowing.

From what I've messed with it I learned that the attachment point for the plane should be behind the wing on the top. The attach point for the glider needs to be up front. Both need to be able to release in an emergency. Also it takes a couple of good pilots with good coordination to do it safely.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
badazzbusa

Thanks BH, I'm not sure about the Cub either but from what you say the OS 1.20 2c has enough to get the job done. I did find some info on the attachment points and like you said, they also recommend a release on both ends and to attach at the nose of the glider and top of the tow plane just behind the C.G.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:21 AM
dgliderguy

I fly a Senior Telemaster tug, with a Thunder Tiger 1.20 Pro two-stroker in the nose. It will haul gliders weighing up to 15lbs (4.5m-5m span), though 10lbs is a more reasonable size for it (i.e., around 4-meters). So, yeah, an OS1.20 would be plenty of pull for a 100" glider. I say go for it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29813.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	840836  
Old 01-03-2008, 07:06 AM
badazzbusa

Thanks dgliderguy, I also looked at the telemaster. I have the engine and elec. just need to decide on a airframe.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:26 PM
wingnutinc

I fly a BTE Flying King with an OS 91 FX and it tows 100 inch sailplanes very nicely. If you are looking to do a full build project, you won't find a better kit than one from BTE. If you're looking to tow the bigger stuff this plane will handle the 1.20 size power, but I would do some reenforcing to the the firewall area.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 AM
badazzbusa

Thanks wingnutinc, I'm going to go the ARF route but it's good to know I'm on the right track with the engine size.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:12 PM
badazzbusa

Do ya'll (I'm from the south) think this airplane with a OS 1.20 2c would be a good tow plane for gliders up to 100" or so.
http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?c...665ff45b4272b6

I like it because it also looks like it could be a good sunday flier. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: badazzbusa

Do ya'll (I'm from the south) think this airplane with a OS 1.20 2c would be a good tow plane for gliders up to 100" or so.

I thinkthat would be a good choice.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:56 PM
badazzbusa

Thanks TJR1, I've never owned a KMP plane but I thought that looked like a good looking, slow flying bird. When it's not towing, it could also make for some nice relaxing Sunday afternoon flying!!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 06:51 PM
BarracudaHockey

Bad, make sure you follow up with how you make out and take some pictures.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:50 PM
badazzbusa

Will do BH. It's unchartered territory around here but I think with the help around here I can fiqure it out. Now I'm also stuck waiting on Tower to get the Spirit 100 back in stock! Luckily after last weekend I have a Raptor .90 in a millions pieces to keep me occupied until I can get all the stuff for this project, LOL.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:20 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: badazzbusa

You know.............
Well.............
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I gotta say this. Cubs often aren't always the best Sunday fliers. Matter of fact, the last ones that showed up this summer all turned out to be problem children. Ground handling and takeoff manners sucked. If I gave your phone number to the guys who brought them out, I guarantee that they'd call you in about 5 seconds to unload. I think those guys are actually starting a sub-club at the club field. MWTCPS is the name, "Modelers Who Think Cubs are Posessed by Satan"

There is no reason to figure that Cub couldn't be a tow plane, but I doubt it would be a good one.

Name:	Pm34666.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	844320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64118.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	844321  
Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 AM
badazzbusa

Thanks for the vote of confidence, LOL. We'll see how it works out.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:11 PM
jooNorway

I have been towed by Cub... First attempt is the only time we have had an emergency aborted tow [&:] Since the Cub do fly quite slow we lost all the forward speed as soon as my friend tried to climb. My glider stalled, and before I released I did see the Cub hanging vertical because of the line over the stabilizer. The distance was some few 100 meters, and I should have realised my glider didn`t gain proper height. But it wasn`t easy to see.
Next attempts did go OK, but my friend had to push down during turns to keep up sufficient speed. (OK, the glider wasn`t a floater)

Anyhow: the stunt was filmed, so we have something to look at and say; this is the wrong way

Every RC pilot should have a Cub. This is because they need coordinated use of rudders to make them fly properly. They are demanding, but as soon as you can control a Cub you propably know anything about coordinated turns!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:49 PM
BarracudaHockey

Stick a cheap piezo gyro on the rudder and you will measureably reduce takeoff and ground handling agrivation.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:25 PM
quepasa

This is really good stuff!
I've been planning to tow up to 2 meter gliders with an old re-not-done-yet Phaeton bipe. The guys I know that do this sorta thing actually tow the glider with a line, chute,& ring like a high-start uses. (I never considered toatin a glider 747/shuttle style.) Are there benefits one way or another that you guys know of? The 27 year old Phaeton will have a new LA-65 for power and release mechanism built into the top wing. The glider will use the high-start type rig/chute on its end. (thats the plan anyway) This cradle/toater thing you guys use looks like maybe a good option for me to consider.
I won't consider any other engine, so if ya'll think this is not enough power, I won't tow/tote with this old plane. Simple as that. ( Well....thats wrong! I'm gonna try it with my beloved .65 no matter whatchall say) All advice you guys have to offer will be paid close attention to. Thanks! Q.

edit; spellin,punktuation, and some little"" that keeps showin up in the wrong spot un-invited![:@]
Old 01-07-2008, 09:03 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: quepasa

This is really good stuff!
I've been planning to tow up to 2 meter gliders with an old re-not-done-yet Phaeton bipe. The guys I know that do this sorta thing actually tow the glider with a line, chute,& ring like a high-start uses. (I never considered toatin a glider 747/shuttle style.) Are there benefits one way or another that you guys know of? The 27 year old Phaeton will have a new LA-65 for power and release mechanism built into the top wing. The glider will use the high-start type rig/chute on its end. (thats the plan anyway) This cradle/toater thing you guys use looks like maybe a good option for me to consider.
I won't consider any other engine, so if ya'll think this is not enough power, I won't tow/tote with this old plane. Simple as that. ( Well....thats wrong! I'm gonna try it with my beloved .65 no matter whatchall say) All advice you guys have to offer will be paid close attention to. Thanks! Q.

edit; spellin,punktuation, and some little"" that keeps showin up in the wrong spot un-invited![:@]

Good lord, a PARACHUTE on the towline? Are you sure? When the glider is on the ring, it should keep the chute closed. I'm guessing the towplane releases the glider whenever the tow pilot chooses, but the possibility of the glider popping off prematurely and the chute then opening. It boggles the mind.

"benefits one way or another".......... hmmmmmm...... There are great benefits from using a cradle carrier. Almost too numerous to mention. But I'll mention the biggies.

Nothing at all is required to be designed/built into any glider. Nothing at all. Strap 'em on and go. The release mechanism on the towplane is needed, but it's needed with the other system too. Unless you plan to land the towplane with a long trailing cord with a hook at the end of it. Sound less than smart? Keep in mind just what it means that no glider modifications are required.

It takes some amount of skill and coordination to tow a glider behind a tow plane. It takes some amount of skill and coordination to pilot a glider being towed. The glider pilot can do things that can kill the tow plane. The glider pilot can also do things that dooms his glider and the towplane. The glider pilot can also blow the launch and not hurt the towplane but totals the glider. With the cradle, the glider pilot usually stands around making small talk until the tow pilot asks if the glider pilot is happy with the altitude. Yeah, there are benefits and they're mostly one way. And there are risks and they're mostly the other way.

I've done both, and wouldn't even consider the towing deal. I don't have a glider I dislike that much.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 PM
quepasa

OK Rock,,,I'm NOT sure if they use a chute, but like ya said, the chute would stay closed til the load was released I'd think. (Just as it does on a hi-start.) The ability for the tow pilot to punch the glider off, would solve his problems, and the chute would snatch the line off of the glider solving his problems right?

Landing a plane with a line trailing behind sounds alot like gettin a knot snatched in yer arse to me if it hung-up on something. (Even I wouldn't do that.) IF the line was dropped by the tow plane, the chute which is now deployed, would fall I'd think. Either way, the chute would do 2 things. It would slow the line down after release by the tow, deploy and let the glider fly off the ring. For a normal release, or emergency, the "tow" pilot would have the ability to seperate the two aircraft just as he would if the glider was in a cradle. The only problem I can see would be finding that damn tow rig! (Probably land in Kansas knowin my luck!)

Are ya tellin me that the glider pilot does nothing until the release actually happens? If this is so, then this cradle thing really would be better and safer for both, and alot less complicated. BUT,,,this means that wing incidence between the toater and the glider need to be near-perfect? Trim on the glider would also need to be near-perfect? In my case were talkin about a TRIPLANE durring take-off! Please elaborate further as I have only theory, and ya'lls experience to go on so far. Q.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I made up the parts for one of those cradles. will finish it soon. I think a good 45 2 cycle would loft a 100 inch plane reasonably well. The gliders mount in such a way that some of the gliders lift is cancelled out do to being carried slightly nose down. I plan on using a Sig LT 40 to carry some gliders up. I don't think it will be fast but who cares. I hope to stir up some glider enthusiasm in our club this year.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:13 PM
jerdavis

Hey da Rock,

Can you post some close-ups of your cradle set up. I'd like to see the release mechanism and the attach method to the power plane.

I'd like to give the cradle method a try. I've done hundreds of tows and it seems like every tow is a learning experience.

Thanks
Jerry
Old 01-08-2008, 04:55 PM
BarracudaHockey

The glider pilot could take a nap till its time to go. The most important thing is to verify the glider reciever is turned on PRIOR to taking off, don't ask me how I know that (wasn't me but I saw it )

Name:	Wu60274.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	845924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69030.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	845925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24023.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	845926  
Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 PM
jerdavis

Thanks for those photos BH. Very clever release.

Jerry
Old 01-09-2008, 10:39 AM
BarracudaHockey

Simple and trouble free.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:59 PM
fjarratt

The least expensive tow plane I have ever flew behind was an LT-40 with a .91 Thunder Tiger 4-stroke. Did a good job with sailplanes of 100 oz. or less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.