Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

kyosho inferno with gxr28 engine - HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

kyosho inferno with gxr28 engine - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:13 AM
john335

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kyosho inferno with gxr28 engine - HELP!

Hi guys

I'm a newb, just got a kyosho inferno rc car and having problems getting started!! The glow starter is fully charged, new glow plug, all carb settings are correct. When I prime the carb am pull start it - it goes for a few seconds at high RPM then stalls!! I am gettin really frustrated - can you guys help??[:@]
Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 AM
MT

Default RE: kyosho inferno with gxr28 engine - HELP!

ORIGINAL: john335

Hi guys

all carb settings are correct. - it goes for a few seconds at high RPM then stalls!! I am gettin really frustrated
If it doesn't run right, then the carb settings are probably not correct. The settings in your manaul are a starting point. You could also have an air leak, either way it sounds like it could be too lean.
Re-set your needles to factory specs, and make sure your tank and fuel lines are not leaking.
Did you break the engine in(per the manual) yet?
Old 01-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Philster

Triple check you settings.

Kyosho can confuse you with their terminolgy.

The main (high speed needle) should be tightened down all the way (easy, don't force it), Then, turn 3 turns out. Three full 360 degree turns!

Now, onto the 'idle mix' (Kyosho term), which we around here call the 'low speed' screw. This should sit just below the collar. Do not confuse the idle mix screw with the idle speed screw.

Look at the manual and triple check you have the right screws set up the right way. It sounds like you confused one of the screws. You might have the engine set too lean or the idle set to scream -- both could cause the engine rpms to run high and then stall.

Triple check them against the manual's pics, then triple check them again. Then come back and let me know if your settings are on the money. Until you eliminate these variables, I can't make another suggestion, or you might chase your tail all day and night.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:45 PM
john335

thanks for the info guys, will go and check all now..... hopefully the blisters on my fingers wont hurt to much!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:58 PM
john335

okay, just tried for ages again..... all settings are def 100% correct. the high speed needle is def 3 turns out from fully tightened. the low speed is screwed in just a little below the collar. and the idle screw is holding the carb opened about a mm. the plug def glows bright, the fuel lines are all brand new and couldnt be letting air in. its def getting fuel ok as i have primed it and can see fuel going in.
any more ideas?? the odd time if i put a little bit of fuel into the carb under the air filter it will fire up for a few seconds!!
thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Philster

Okay, what is the problem you are trying to address? A high revving engine or trouble getting it started?

I would immediately take the high speed and turn it in 1/4 turn.

I would advance the throttle trim up to 25%, then with the carb properly primed, I would then (without glow starter on) crank the engine about 4-5 times by pulling. You are just getting fuel to swish into the engine by doing this.

Next, I'd clip on the glostarter and try to fire it up. It should fire. Have the wheels off the ground and don't worry that you advanced the throttle, the engine RPM will climb as you go ahead and use the trim to pull the throttle back...but I would not try to trim it back too far, because you want to get through break in, and this is not the time to develop a perfect idle (WHERE THE WHEELS DON'T MOVE). This is the time to let the idle be slightly fast.

kYOSHO'S three turn out rule on the main needle is too much in almost every case. Try clockwise in 1/4 turn if you are set at 3 turns out.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:25 PM
john335

the problem is gettig it started. its brand new, it ran for 1/4 tank at low/med revs

will try what you have suggested

thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Philster

You do what I said and it'll start. Don't be afraid to advance the throttle.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:29 PM
beer=food
Banned

l have two of these things, watch the temps when doing run in on it, get a venom temp gauge if you can , its a failsafe too, when you pull up at a stop they spike in temp really fast, l had a fan outside on mine where l would pull up to idle and adjust, this page linked from a different sight, how old is this post ? !
Old 02-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Nektarioss

Not 3 turns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the same engine........ You will have millionnnnnnnnnnn problems.

2 and 1/3 it s ok!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, you are breaking in the engine, so start from 2 and 2/3
Old 02-18-2008, 06:53 PM
stcla1r

did u ever get it to start?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:31 AM
jmonroy1973

Hello everybody. I have a Traxxas Revo and had very little problem tuning this engine. Just bought a Kyosho Ferrari Inferno GT and wow. This thing is robust. I am having a hellacious time tuning. I can get the engine started without a problem. I can get the car running strong when tapping the throttle (wheels are off ground). I can get car to idle (almost purring). What is driving me crazy is that as soon as I hit the brake the car dies! When the wheels are off the ground, I can rev and it goes back to idling fine. It is just when I brake just a tiny bit the engine dies. It appears the carb closes too much when braking and suffocates the engine. The high speed throttle needle is opened a 1/4 turn shy of 3 turns. The low speed needle is about 1mm in from flush. Does anybody have any ideas? I could sure use them. Have yet to be able to drive the car because of this. Incredibly frustrating!!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

JM
Old 07-26-2008, 05:53 AM
compressed_cavitation

HI i just bought a Inferno Gt.I seriously need some help! I have managed to get the car started. however, the car revs up high and i adjust the throttle trim to almost to the mid point. The engine revs slow down.

Things that have gone wrong after starting.....

1. fuel seen coming out of the exhuast
2. car stalls when i try to move off