Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What is a professional R/C Jet Pilot?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Someone who flys jets
0%
succesfully without crashing
8.41%
all above+helps others
52.34%
all above+stays off RCU
15.89%
BVM rep
23.36%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

What is a professional R/C Jet Pilot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a professional R/C Jet Pilot?

I just got around to reading that fantastic thread about Timmy and his Mig-15 experience. One thing that stuck with me was how BVM (supposedly) said that professional pilots do not respond here on RCU? This made me think. Am I a professional pilot? Are you? What the heck is a professional jet pilot? I have heard BV use this term before, but not sure exactly what it means.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Default RE: What is a professional Jet Pilot?

When you can post a video without using the Top Gun soundtrack.......you are officially a professional pilot
Old 01-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC : Strictly speaking, "Professional" simply means that you get compensated (in cash or in kind) for performing the services at hand.

So yes, you are a professional RC pilot, because you get discounted Jetcat products in compensation for flying their products. (Someone who got handed a free pack of chewing gum for flying a model is ALSO a professional though, so don't let the title go to your head.)

That said, a lot of people misuse the term as as adjective that defines the quality of the services provided. Although it's a misuse, it is so common that it is becoming a de-facto alternate definition.

...and once you get into using it to describe quality, it obviously becomes subjective rather than objective, so ANYONE can then claim to be professional or not as suits their mood.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:09 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave
Per the IRS
If your getting Paid(in Cash or other things ) your a Professional, that being said , you had best get a W2 so you could claim it as an Income.

Gordon ,I don't think getting a pack of gum would qualify as a Professional as the value has to be above $ 20.00 US Dollars

Semper Fi
Joe
prizes won must be under $ 1200.00 If above you must claim them as income making you a Qusi -Professional
Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Gordon Mc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: uncljoe
Gordon ,I don't think getting a pack of gum would qualify as a Professional as the value has to be above $ 20.00 US Dollars
G'day Uncle Joe,

I used that "pack of gum" example because I recall a case in the UK a while ago, where some kid who was supposedly a pretty good runner was disqualified from a race because of the fact that he was ruled to be a professional and the race was strictly for amateurs.

The reason he was qualified as a professional was that at some previous race he had been given a free pack of gum, or a Mars Bar, or some equally innocuous piece of candy in exchange for competing. It was ruled that if he wanted to retain amateur status, he had to refuse ALL such 'payments'. Pretty ludicrous, really.

This was a while ago, so I don't recall exactly what the candy prize was, but I doubt it was over $20 worth

Hope to see you at CA-Jets or Speedworld.

Gordon
Old 01-23-2008, 12:27 PM
bbjpilot
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

Dave
Per the IRS
If your getting Paid(in Cash or other things ) your a Professional, that being said , you had best get a W2 so you could claim it as an Income.

Gordon ,I don't think getting a pack of gum would qualify as a Professional as the value has to be above $ 20.00 US
Uncle Joe,

I wish this was true in the full scale industry....

I've come across a few pilots that fly for free(stick time) and they still consider themselves "Professional" Jet Pilots!!!!! In fact, I even ran across someone who admitted to paying for the opportunity to sit in the right seat! We have another name for them!!!!

james
Old 01-23-2008, 12:28 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Dunno about the professional Jet Pilot status there Presta, but you would qualify as a PROFESSIONAL scrimp buffet pilot any day in my book!!!! Scotty
Old 01-23-2008, 12:34 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I gotta be honest, the only "professional Jet pilot" I think I have ever met is Shui. I mean, let's face it, he was hired to show off Bob's *****. It would be easy to crack some jokes here, too easy. I'm not saying that would have been the greatest profession, but even now that job is no longer.

I know of no other company that hired someone particularly for their "Jet Piloting" skills.

There are loose ways of using the term, but I think Shui is the only real world application in turbines. Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sean, when you uttered the now world famous "is it supposed to do that?" comment, you became a Pro in my book!!!

Still brings a HUGE grin to my face every time I think 'bout it.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 PM
seanreit

So funny how the years change the infamous phrase "Is that Normal"!!

Vernon Montgomery and David Reid looked down at me as flames are shooting out the back of the airplane 3 feet high and it's louder than you can imagine and they both scream "Yaaaaaaa"

By then I was pushing the airplane away from me, and they were pulling it back in!

Here's my latest masochistic act:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39871.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	858984   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43760.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	858985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66583.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	858986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50095.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	858987  
Old 01-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Rob Howarth

Professional Pilot - CPL/IR or ATPL rewarded financially for aviating services, however there are a few non CPL's out there that seem to be able to make a living from aviating.

Rob
Old 01-23-2008, 01:27 PM
ThomasP

Hi Folks,

A professional is a person required to possess a large body of knowledge derived from extensive academic study (usually tertiary), with the training almost always formalized. However one can be really good at what you do, and get paid for it too.

ThomasP
Old 01-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess you will know strawboss ..
when you have mad skills like me..
let me share a few videos of my skills... Someday I will be the best pilot in the USA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmm-f...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QSSQKdjC70&NR=1

It takes hard work a dedication to the hobby...

Ron
Old 01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron101

I guess you will know strawboss ..
when you have mad skills like me..
let me share a few videos of my skills... Someday I will be the best pilot in the USA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmm-f...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QSSQKdjC70&NR=1

It takes hard work a dedication to the hobby...

Ron
Anyone who can crash more than one plane at a time is truely a pro
We have several in my club.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Dave Presta

Ron, your skills are way more advanced then mine......nice videos
Old 01-23-2008, 02:05 PM
TREADSTONE

'Hi there !....I'm a professional toy airplane pilot'.

That should pull some chicks......

Old 01-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Sparhawk

mmmm, someone who straps on a G-suit and delivers ordinance to the enemy?
Unless you are doing that for a living, stirring the sticks on a radio does not qualify you.

IMHO

Spar
Old 01-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Dave Presta

You guy's do know were talking about "R/C" jet pilots right??
Old 01-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Dave Presta

ORIGINAL: bbjpilot

In fact, I even ran across someone who admitted to paying for the opportunity to sit in the right seat! We have another name for them!!!!

james
Piglet?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Dave
I think the thread should be a Professional Remotely Piloted Vehicle operator as the feet of the pilot don't leave the ground(maybe a wide stance) only the vehicle leaves the ground . If they receive compensation whether it be free stuff or cash, should be able to claim the expenses to & from meets or flying duties,they per IRS are Professional. Unlike the true Professional aviators/pilots who carry passengers,freight ,and ordinance, Who by the way will be the first one on the scene if the Sh*t hits the fan. Fire away,flame suit on
Gordon will the Hawk be at Speed world?
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 PM
seanreit

Dave, your job is to cause as much hysteria and fodder in Johnny's life as possible. Focus Danielson Keep grabbing Ali's ass, makes for good dinner conversation [X(]

But seriously, since you came on the scene back at Fl. Jets 4 years ago, I have seen some amazing talent, and you are a pro pilot IMO no doubt. You made hornets look sexy, before you, I had never seen anyone "pull" on F-18's before. They had always been flown in a slow scale manner when I saw them fly, nothing flashy. What you did with Johnny's made heads turn everywhere!

Also, you've come a long way (as I have) in how interactions are done on this site. Rather than pro, I'd call it seasoning!

We're all getting older and more accomplished in what we do, that as I'm writing this I'm thinking, does it matter? It's so subjective. Or are you just merely wanting opinions?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:53 PM
agent adds

Default RE: What is a professional R/C Jet Pilot?

Do me a favour! Lifes to short -enjoy the sport and take out of it what you can-When you get to my level you will know what a Professional pilot is!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Dave Presta

Sean,
Thank you for the compliment, but no thats not why I opened this poll. I have heard people use the words "professional pilot" regarding our hobby, so I thought I would get others opinions of what that means.
This is model airplanes after all, and I agree with you that we all grow in different aspects weather it be our behavior in this forum, our skills, or how we conduct ourselves at the field. I still am fuzzy on how some are called "professional" and some are not.
This thread is not aimed at any one individual, or group of people at all....just curios thats all.
Anyone who knows Johnny can agree with you that my sole purpose in life is to make him react, weather it being flying next to him or here on RCU...thats just one aspect of the hobby that I cannot/will not do without.
As for grabbing Ali's ass? Again, trying to mess with a fellow modeler to make him loose focus....unfortunately Ali is either a) too good of a pilot to let an ass grab make him flinch when he is flying a routine. b) was already expecting that from me, and did not phase him a bit c) he liked it or d) all of the above. This may very well be the next poll that I post here in this forum.
Take care,
Dave
Old 01-23-2008, 03:19 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Hmm,

When I think professional, I think of some one who makes a living doing that thing.

Does that make me a professional McDonald's french fry fetcher, I suppose by my definition, it does!

So if you make a living flying R/c jets, then I think that makes you a professional. And I don't think you have to be "good" at what you do for a living, to be a professional either. There are plenty of lousy professionals out there.

How's that?

Raf
Old 01-23-2008, 03:41 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

professional R/C Jet Pilot is the one who is payed my companies to fly there staff.so this is his JOB.and HE HAS LOST JOY IN FLYING. stress is the only income exept the money.

so my vote on bvm rep

personaly i only accepted small part sponsorship and never full cose...i wana crash it whenever i want with out to must give explenations to anyone

professional R/C Jet Pilot title has nothink to do with skills...you must love this hobbie too much to take the jump and spent the money to join....

awesome skill pilots for me are every owners of an rc jet. plus i fount out you must be a great guy to build and fly this planes.

this is why i love been here with you guys but again i hate the way RCU treat as..like costomers to get money over+out

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/AwesomePilot.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.