Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How do you control brakes channel?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How do you control brakes channel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Marcin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you control brakes channel?

Hi,
I have installed BVM brakes and BVM Smooth Stop. I wonder how do you control the brakes channel on your transmitters- is it 0/1 switch, separate proportional potentiometer or mixed with elevator stick? Maybe some other option?
Regards
Marcin
Old 04-18-2003, 01:03 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes

On the JR 10X, put the brakes on the right slider (Aux 3)
Old 04-18-2003, 01:14 PM
Darryl Usher

Rudder on left and brakes on right slider. Brakes mixed with down
elevator do not work as you lift the main wheels in a panic stop
and ground loop.
Darryl Usher
Old 04-18-2003, 01:42 PM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

>>>>>>>>>> Brakes mixed with down
elevator do not work as you lift the main wheels in a panic stop
and ground loop.>>>>>>>>>>>

now this guy here is exactly right............but keep in mind the degree of lifting the mains off ( aka wheelbarrow effect) depends the plane type....hot spots ....roos.... are really effected.....in other words delta wings will really cause trouble with wheel barrowing those elevons are really big ( f-86 s with small elevators are not effected)......and with a cross wind you can really have problems to where...you can have 2 choices......get off the brakes and run off the runway or stay on them and flip the plane ( the wing away from the wind will flip under as the windward wing blows upward)

put the brakes where you like em....we use the snap button

i wish i would of read this before i had to have first hand knowledge
Old 04-18-2003, 02:48 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Darryl,

Why do you put the rudder on a slider?
Old 04-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Thud_Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Brakes

Brakes on a slider just doesn't do it for me. I tried it because that what's everybody does, but I went to down elevator for a lot of reasons.

I practically have to give up on the right stick to work the slider with any precision. The slider just didn't give me any feel for braking power. In that panic/high speed stop, having my right hand try to do elev, ail, & slider left me with an out of control feeling, sometimes even on normal landings.

By going to down elevator, everything feels natural. I feel fully in control of the airplane because my fingers stay put on the primary controls. I get a really good feel for the brakes because I am using precise elevator inputs (just like flying). My planes don't lift the mains with down and that really only can happen if you're way too fast.

I use the Trim valve & brake system. I program so the entire brake system is disabled with the gear switch up. With the gear down, I have a switch that sets full brakes and overrides the elevator input. When the gear switch is down, it puts an offset into the brake valve which sets the brakes for instantaneous action (per Trim's instructions). I then program a slight offset into down elevator so that a touch of down doesn't work the brakes (that's for those slightly abnormal landings). Then I can just modulate the brakes from there while flying the wings. You can set up the compensation mixer so you get as much brakes as you want with little stick action or a softer response, as I use, with more down. Works for me on a TopCat and MB-339 with hundreds of landings.

Yeah, why rudder on a slider?????
Old 04-18-2003, 06:29 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Default Brakes

I use the 10X.

On the Bandit, I mix aux3, my right slider, and down elevator. I use the proportional Smooth-Stop.

While doing an adjust and try routine, I adjust the offset, travel, and % throw on full-on slider and 3/4 down elevator to give me about 3/4 brakes with right slider full on and full brakes with 3/4 to full down elevator.

I use the full-on slider to pre-set the brakes 3/4 on before touchdown per BV recommendation. Really shortens the landing roll and helps in preventing the Mav/Bandit bunny hop.

Suprisingly, it does not seem to cause any additional flat-spotting of the tires. It also keeps the plane motionless on asphalt while I am running my final pre-takeoff check, without having to hold down elevator continuously.

On my Hotspot, with just and on/off brake valve, I still use the Right slider which now is full on or full off, but I also am dyslexic using it for emergency braking, so I also have an on/off mixed to the snap roll/trainer button. As noted above, with the Roo and HS, you have to be careful with any down elevator until really slowed down or you will wheel-barrow and ground loop it every time. That's why I prefer the snap-roll/trainer button.

Even though the Smooth-Stop uses little air, the Graupner valve on my HS uses more, so I select brakes in-operative with wheels up, using the pos 0-pos1 gear menu with the mix.

Tom
Old 04-18-2003, 07:01 PM
lov2flyrc

Default Re: Brakes

Originally posted by Thud_Driver
Brakes on a slider just doesn't do it for me. I tried it because that what's everybody does, but I went to down elevator for a lot of reasons.

I practically have to give up on the right stick to work the slider with any precision. The slider just didn't give me any feel for braking power. In that panic/high speed stop, having my right hand try to do elev, ail, & slider left me with an out of control feeling, sometimes even on normal landings.

By going to down elevator, everything feels natural. I feel fully in control of the airplane because my fingers stay put on the primary controls. I get a really good feel for the brakes because I am using precise elevator inputs (just like flying). My planes don't lift the mains with down and that really only can happen if you're way too fast.

I use the Trim valve & brake system. I program so the entire brake system is disabled with the gear switch up. With the gear down, I have a switch that sets full brakes and overrides the elevator input. When the gear switch is down, it puts an offset into the brake valve which sets the brakes for instantaneous action (per Trim's instructions). I then program a slight offset into down elevator so that a touch of down doesn't work the brakes (that's for those slightly abnormal landings). Then I can just modulate the brakes from there while flying the wings. You can set up the compensation mixer so you get as much brakes as you want with little stick action or a softer response, as I use, with more down. Works for me on a TopCat and MB-339 with hundreds of landings.

DITTO!!

Use the same setup....
Todd
Old 04-18-2003, 07:45 PM
Phil Cole

Default Re: Brakes

Originally posted by Thud_Driver
I though the point was that you are steering with the left stick, and braking with the right slider. Each hand has only one thing to do.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:02 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default braking

I agree with thud driver, the aux 3 slider has no "feel" for braking at all. I use aux 3 for the primary brake ch but mix it to down elev and use down to stop the jet. It is nice to be able to lock the brakes while in the pits during startup. I also use the aux 1 for rudder on my F-16 and Rookie, also mix to steering ch. This allows for steering adjustments and centering the rudder independantly from each other.

Vin...
Old 04-18-2003, 08:23 PM
Darryl Usher

Rudder and elevator on left stick and brakes on slide switch that is spring loaded off. This slide is to the right of right stick.
Darryl Usher
Old 04-18-2003, 08:40 PM
Thud_Driver

Default Brakes

I've had a few higher than normal speed landings. It just doesn't feel good to sort of let go of the of the flight controls while working a brake slider. For me a slider doesn't give a good feel for modulating the brakes without using two fingers. That means I can't hold the Tx the way I like and consequently steer nearly as well. When you're fast, I believe there can be more to it than just braking & steering and I won't have to reach for a slider and quit flying the wings. Easy & natural is the way to go for time critical situations. Maybe Spots & Roos do lift the mains, I don't know, but you can easily limit the down throw & still get full brakes.

I also run nosewheel steering off an aux channel via a compensation mixer. Keeps rudder trim out of the steering and allows me to adjust center via one of the rotary knobs.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:50 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Ultra Precision valve--this will work for the Trim and the Smooth-Stop valves as well. I put my brakes on a slider for proportional control and mix the brakes so I can also go to full brake by depressing the trainer button on my 10 channel JR TX. . This way I can partially set the brakes for a "set drag" in flight. When the plane touches down I pulse the trainer switch up and down. This technique stops the plane in a very short distance.

On take-off, I line the plane up with the center line, set full brake by just pushing the trainer button, rev the engine up, release the brakes and off she goes. For me, the trainer button is easy to find without looking for it as compared to a toggle switch.

I set the servo up so that at full brake the servo is just barely over center. This way I can use the slider set to full brake, shut the RX/TX off and have a parking brake so my plane will not roll anywhere. Since there is no back pressure when using the Smooth-Stop, the servo position is not important. (Being over center) This is what works for me!!!

Kevin
Old 04-18-2003, 09:04 PM
jason

I fly with the elevator and ailerons on the right stick so I use the left slider for the brakes. I also mix the brake channel with itself and asign it to the snap roll button for a full brake panic stop.

jason
Old 04-18-2003, 09:15 PM
Tom Antlfinger

Default Brakes???

So Marcin, are you now thoroughly confused??? :>)

Tom
Old 04-18-2003, 09:25 PM
jason

I recon you are right Tom.

I forgot to mention that I also get a lenth of string and tie one end to the spring loaded switch and the other to my big toe, I find this works too

jason
Old 04-18-2003, 10:04 PM
Tom Antlfinger

Default :>)

Jason:

Did any of the Bandito squadron fly at Abingdon. Laura posted that Geoff had picked up Dave Carter's Black Bunny Super Bandit.

Now with Nick, Jonathan, Geoff, and Mark, you guys have a substantial squadron.

Tom
Old 04-18-2003, 10:09 PM
Laura H

Tom,
They were all there apart from Jonathan and Jo.....
Look forward to seeing Jonathans SB go thats going to go like hell.

C ya
L
Old 04-19-2003, 01:42 PM
jason

Tom,

yes there was pleanty of bandits flying at Abindon, there was Nicks, Mark withs BV`s original one, Geoff with the black one and mine too.

see you November for the good weather

jason
Old 04-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Bill_Jehle

The snap roll button being mixed in also makes it nice if you want to spool up the engine prior to take-off.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:28 AM
Marcin

Thank you all for your suggestions. I was offline for I easter, so couldn't join you discussion. After reading your posts I've convinced to control brakes by slider and I will check how it works.
Regards
Marcin
Old 04-22-2003, 03:55 PM
jetfreak
My Feedback: (9)

Default trainer button for brakes

can someone tell me exactly how one would use the trainer button to activate brakes. I understand the theory just don't understand how to electronically tell the radio to use the trainer switch and what channel to use on the receiver.

thanks
sean rushing
[email protected]
Old 04-22-2003, 04:23 PM
foster4u
My Feedback: (112)

Default Trainer switch as brakes

Now that's one I can answer

All of the switches on your transmitter has a desinated number or position, A,B,C...SW1, SW2.. or whatever, first check your manual to find out what is the designation for your trainer switch and assign the channel that your brake servo is in to that location. Next you may want to slave that to a two position switch to have a parking brake so that you don't have to hold the trainer switch during engine start.
BTW, I tried this method last weekend on my roo and I love it.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:46 PM
Per Strommen

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A thought for you guys worried about tail lifting with down elevator during wheel braking: Use a separate flight mode for gear down and limit the down elevator to almost zero in that mode. I rarely fly inverted or outside loops with the rubber showing.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:14 PM
Thud_Driver

Default Limited Down Elevator

I've seen too many pitch ups from bounced landings and other unusual attitudes (some mine & many others) to want to restrict down elevator travel from "normal".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.