Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

front wheel-drive r/c cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 05:21 PM
theclinch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front wheel-drive r/c cars

has there ever been a front wheel drive r/c car? just wondering because that would be pretty fun! and if not what would i have to do to make my 4wd car just a front wheel drive? thanx for any replies
the clinch
Old 04-18-2003, 05:59 PM
rcidiot728

well off road, i doubt it, but i have seen a fwd mini cooper... i think it was made my kyosho but if you want i can find out for you
Old 04-18-2003, 07:22 PM
theclinch

thats alright because i was just getting sick of my wheely bar not working and if i made it front wheel drive i wouldnt have that problem any more just a thought
Old 04-18-2003, 07:32 PM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

Just remove the rear belt/driveline, and presto FWD only! This is how they dyno alot of AWD cars, because AWD dynos are expensive and rare. I would also remove the dog bones or CVD's also to reduce rolling resistance.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:29 PM
theclinch

oh ok thanx todd i think ill do that tonight sometime thanx for the advice
Old 04-19-2003, 01:26 AM
rcidiot728

well clinch, about the wheelie bar not workin, is it an esp bar?

if so, i know where you can get a hell of a lot better one, depends on what you are runnin though

im pretty sure the guy will make them to your cars specs, but check out www.swami-rc.com and look at the wheelie bars
Old 04-19-2003, 01:39 AM
DSA.308

Please tell me how you think it handles and lays down power once your done. I know it wont be as good as AWD but it might actually handle fairly well, as most FWD cars do. You might take a little time to make sure the front shocks are working well. Since thats the axle taking the power, its important the suspension is working well on it.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:50 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

yeah but wouldnt you want the rear even stiffer than now too because you want to keep the front down as much as possible?
Old 04-19-2003, 02:16 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have several front wheel drive cars. The ones I have are the Kyosho Maxxum FF (3), Yokomo YR2-M4 FF Special (2) and Tamiya Mini Cooper.

As far as handling goes, you really don't have to worry about the car pushing when entering a corner.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:12 AM
hpiguy

I think Tamiya is the only company still making front wheel drive cars.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:37 AM
theclinch

i converted my t-maxx to front-wheel drive and it handles a bit better, the wheelies are contained, and the biggest difference is coming out of corners. you have much much tighter turning radius because you dont have to wait for the back end to come around( i like fish tailin it) to slam the throttle it looks pretty wierd because the back springs are a little bit harder and theres no power to them so they dont stoop down when you accelerate. a few people actually asked me "how does your car exit corners so well what did you put in it? and where can i buy that?" i replied i made it a front wheel drive! they thought a front wheel drive t-maxx was pretty cool thanx for the help guys
Old 04-20-2003, 04:01 AM
DSA.308

Awesome clinch! I knew if anyone took the time to do it they would like it. FWD has lots of benefits, I never thought of doing it to a TMAXX though...did you already do it before this thread or did you get the idea when you saw this? What a cool application though, How does it jump now?

You know you might be on to something here.....Traxxas makes the "sport" model Tmaxx, you could buy that, since it costs less than the TMAXX, and just swap the drive-lines to the front! Now you have what you made for less than a TMAXX! Just a idea I think you may have stumbled upon...
Old 04-20-2003, 01:24 PM
Forevafire1

i had a problem with my ns4 3 and the front drive was just working(my rear was not working) it really sucked the top speed had to be down at least at 20 or 15 and it was very hard to keep it from spinning out and doing donuts remember this is an on-road car
Old 04-20-2003, 02:15 PM
KyleSch

Its almost impossible to do donuts with a Front Wheel drive car, are you sure it wasn't rear wheel drive? BTW You keep calling it an NS4 its an RS4
Old 04-20-2003, 06:06 PM
DSA.308

You can do REVERSE dohnuts!
Old 04-21-2003, 12:51 AM
theclinch

i started this post because i just wanted to know exactly what to do to take it out and if it will like make my car insanly odd. its jumps are a little odd because you cant open up the throttle in mid air to level out if you do you nose dive. hmm i wonder if i let the throttle out a lot in mid air i could do a front flip! hmm im spitting out ideas this week front wheel drive cars front flips