Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

How much maintenance do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 PM
kelly_and_brian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much maintenance do you do?

Do you inspect your differentials and/or transmission after every 10 tanks of fuel as the manual suggests?

I understand the importance of cleaning the air filter and the after run oil, but do I need to pull out and inspect the differential and transmission gears?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 PM
burnchassis3

Default RE: How much maintenance do you do?

I dont ...I just fix whats broken.
taking apart and putting back together does take a little bit of the threads away each time you do it.
and if nothing is wrong...your doing more damage then good.
right? lol
atleast thats what i have convinced myself of.
CS
Old 02-13-2008, 12:53 AM
jtoothman25

I hear some folks that pull the glow plug out, and they pour in some oil? Sounds like a big waste.

I'm going to clean it, and maybe squirt some oil on some areas that need it. Maybe add grease to the drive train peices that asked for it when I built it. I'm a degreed Mechanical Engineer.... and I think that this is okay!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:09 AM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kelly_and_brian

Do you inspect your differentials and/or transmission after every 10 tanks of fuel as the manual suggests?

I understand the importance of cleaning the air filter and the after run oil, but do I need to pull out and inspect the differential and transmission gears?

its not that big of a deal to check ur drive train just have some one hold the spur gearing in place and try spinning the rear wheels and then the front and then one wheel in one dirrect and see if the other one spins in the oppsite dirrection (becuase of the diff) if there is ever a clicking noice then u got a problem if not ur fine it takes only 2 or 3 minuets plus it can save u head aces because u wont show up for a day of bashing and break soemting within five minuets

i due it all the time its very simple
Old 02-13-2008, 01:15 AM
!jAsOfRaW!

ORIGINAL: jtoothman25

I hear some folks that pull the glow plug out, and they pour in some oil? Sounds like a big waste.
They put in after run oil.
Its stops rust and keeps the engine all good and helps it last longer.
Its not a big waste at all. You only need to put in a drop.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:39 AM
talk to me borris

Miamiz...i could hear a clicking noise just moving the car along on every rev of the centre prop shaft...what does this mean??
Old 02-13-2008, 10:31 AM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jtoothman25

I'm going to clean it, and maybe squirt some oil on some areas that need it. Maybe add grease to the drive train peices that asked for it when I built it. I'm a degreed Mechanical Engineer.... and I think that this is okay!
If it's a waste, then why do *so* many here put after-run oil in their engines?!

How old are you man?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:14 AM
kelly_and_brian

Very cool1 Thanks. I'll add wheel spinning to the things I do when I put it away for the night. I just didn't want to disassemble it if I didn't have to.

And I have seen posts where people use Simple Green to clean the truck ... do you just squirt it on and let it dry? Can it get on the exposed gears (flywheel, etc.)? Or do you mostly squirt it on the shocks and wheels?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:30 AM
go-to

ORIGINAL: kelly_and_brian

Very cool1 Thanks. I'll add wheel spinning to the things I do when I put it away for the night. I just didn't want to disassemble it if I didn't have to.

And I have seen posts where people use Simple Green to clean the truck ... do you just squirt it on and let it dry? Can it get on the exposed gears (flywheel, etc.)? Or do you mostly squirt it on the shocks and wheels?
Squirt it on everything except for air filter or electronics. Rinse it off with a hose after about 1-2mins sitting. Re-lube bearings afterwards.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:30 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: burnchassis3

taking apart and putting back together does take a little bit of the threads away each time you do it.
right? lol
CS
My sentiments exactly!..
Old 02-13-2008, 12:36 PM
go-to

ORIGINAL: burnchassis3

right? lol
CS
I agree mostly. I don't do maintenance per se, but I do check over the truck before *every* outing. I check all the screws, bearings, gear mesh, etc. so that I'm clear to run when I get to the park and not wrenching when I get to the park. hehehe

When I get back home I do the same thing again after washing the trucks.

The longest amount of time is the air drying in front of a fan.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:32 PM
kelly_and_brian

What do you use to lube the bearings?
Old 02-14-2008, 01:38 PM
black mamba

Aside from occassionally cleaning my truck's chassis/suspension with Simple Green, cleaning/oiling the air filter and dropping some after-run oil into the engine, I don't do any special maintenance or disassembly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it applies to RC just as well as anything else in my opinion. Some guys on the forum are beyond obsessive when it comes to maintaining their trucks and will strip them down to a pile of parts and scrub everything with a toothbrush after each time they are done using it. Unless you like doing that kind of thing, it is overkill.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:56 PM
phenix_racing

i redo my diffs every like 15-20 tanks because i use silicone oil. whenever i do maintain my truck i usually check all the moving parts and lube them up. also i put some grease on my internal gears. also i use after run oil after all of runs.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:16 PM
bneterasedmynam

i havnt had the savage long enough to really need any maintanence on it yet, but i can tell you i never even once maintained my firestorm, i dont even clean it or run the fuel out of it lol, in fact im mean to it and it still works like new.
the savage though i will actually try and take care of or at least run the fuel out after i use it.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:35 AM
black mamba

Removing the fuel from the tank is a very good idea so moisture doesn't get induced into the fuel as the truck sits unused. Moisture in the fuel will cause all kinds of problems from rust to tuning issues.[8D]
Old 02-15-2008, 09:02 PM
electricnitro

Fix it when it breaks or acts funny (noise ect.)
Put a few drops of after run oil in at the end of the day through the carb only. Loosen the glow plug a little and spin the motor over with the roto. Tighten the GP and call it a day. I don't feel comfortable taking the GP out if not necessary. There's no telling what could fall down in there from the head.

When I think about it I check to make sure the screws on the frame arn't loose. Most of the time they are good because of the tire glue that I put on them. If they are just take them out put a lil glue and put back in. I NEVER put a good snug on them cause it will strip. The glue keeps them from backing out, instead of the pressure of them being so tight.

Oh and of course cleaning and oiling the air filter depending on how dusty it was where I ran it.

There is absolutly no need to take a magnifying glass to it or oil stuff thats why you get sealed bearings. One other thing the trans gears should NEVER see grease or oil. If it was then HPI would put it in at the factory......... but they don't. Its ment to be a dry trans.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:09 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only clean mine usually once every half gallon. Other than that I do 0 maintenance and it just keeps on going[8D]
Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 PM
hilifemt

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

I only clean mine usually once every half gallon. Other than that I do 0 maintenance and it just keeps on going[8D]
That's all relative to where you run your trucks. where I bash, you HAVE to clean your truck every session, unless you like having more problems. always make sure your clutch and bearings are clean. refill the shocks with oil every gallon. overlook and roll the wheels after every time out to make sure it's smooth.

It all depends on where you run though. I only run my truck in sand, dirt and nasty places, so maintenace is expected quite a bit.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:18 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, everyone has a different environment. I usually drive on the street or on small dirt piles, but when I go upstate and take my truck with me, then I of course understand your point. After a bash a few months ago, my truck was like a lawnmower, must have been more than 25 leaves in it stuck in some ODD places lol