Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Going to Build a TRACK!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:36 AM
racefans26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to Build a TRACK!!!!!!!!

Going to start building come spring. Anyone from around indiana or ohio want to lend a hand to build and race is welcome!!!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2008, 12:24 PM
burnchassis3

Default RE: Going to Build a TRACK!!!!!!!!

What part of Indiana?
CS
Old 02-13-2008, 01:13 PM
racefans26

You are not far from me. Im close to Brookville Indiana. but the track will be in Oxford Oh. Only bout 15 min from me maybe 45 min or so from you depends wat part of cincy you are in. I work all around cincy..
Old 02-13-2008, 07:05 PM
MTboy

How big of an area (ft. x ft.) are you building your track in? I'm planning on starting on mine this spring also. Any info on tracks that you can share would be great. Good luck
Old 02-14-2008, 01:49 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built a track too. I have a mud drag track..........two 40ft long straights that are 5ft wide and tapered in depth. At the starting line, the mud is at surface level, and gets progressively deeper down the tracks....it's 2ft deep at the finish lines. Sounds simple, but it separates the men from the boys about 10ft into it. Plenty of wheel-speed, aggressive tires and lockers are mandatory to make it across. Box stock trucks with open diffs need not apply.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 PM
racefans26

50 x80 is what i am thinking maybe 50 x 100 8 or 10ft wide lanes.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:26 PM
burnchassis3

Meet me at dirt country in Batavia for the next race ...you can get some ideas on what you'd like to build.
They have racing class and a MT class.
$15 to enter trophies issued to winners....
CS
Old 02-15-2008, 09:33 PM
burnchassis3

Heres a few tips on track building:
MOST IMPORTANT!
*Avoid 180 turns at the end of long straights: All that happens here is T-bone crashes.

*Every jump should be makeable by stock electric truck: Even though we don't run much stock truck anymore, it is a good benchmark to use. If a stock truck can get through a section, every other vehichle should be able to also. It forces racers to slow down and use thier head, not horsepower to get across a jump.

*Not every jump needs to be a jump: Elevation changes, small table tops, rollers, etc. provide interesting obsticles without forcing a lot of air time.

*Avoid putting hard/long distance jumps just before or after a corner: This is just asking for trouble by people over shooting the jump and ending up off track. A jump coming out of the corner will cause racers to not square up and end up jumping off the side of the ramp.

*The face (flat launch surface) of a jump should be at least the length of the wheelbase of a car: Preferably, about a wheelbase and a half.

*Jump angle is important: Try to avoid verticle jumps. Anything over 45 deg jump angle is not suggested unless it is intended for a slow section of the track or something like a razorback where the intent is to stay on the ground. 30 deg jump face angle is probably the best compromise. Steep jumps do nothing but throw the car up, making the resulting landing, that much harder. You have that much farther to fall when something goes wrong. Unless you have a hobbyshop to support at your track, you don't want racers to break out of a race and falling from 8-10' in the air will do it.

*The jump landing angle should generally be 75% of the take off ramp angle: If you have a 30 deg launch ramp, the landing should probably around 20-25%. This gives you a bigger area to hit and more room for error when over jumping or under jumping.

*Jumps should have a transition at the base: There should be a smooth transition to track level to jump face. Abrupt angles cause the car to prebounce on the jump and the car will never jump the same way twice.

*Double/Triple/Tabletop jumps should be about 1 foot apart, peak to peak for every 3 foot of runup you have. Don't be afraid to make a double into a table top if it is just to hard to make due to not enough runup. The faster racers may still be able to clear the jump but newer racers don't get stuck in the "valley of death" between the two jumps.

*Avoid ski-jump style ramps: Ski jump ramps, where the angle constantly increases and there is never a flat face to the jump take skill and practice to both build correctly, and jump correctly. Avoid them till you have some practice with other jumps.

*Make the track flow: A good track is a combination of technical, slow, and fast sections. it is a good idea to make an easier section right after a tough jump section to allow the drivers to relax a second and gain control again. There is nothing worse than 2-3 really hard jump or turn sequences strung together, then the rest of the track is flat track, high speed.

CS
Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 PM
racefans26

when is this race? any info or a link would be great!!! thanks.