Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

AMT oly or P200?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AMT oly or P200?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:28 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default AMT oly or P200?

I need a big ar$e engine. My hornet needs to go vertical on takeoff .

Which one should I get?

I'm all jetcat right now. Great local service and >99% reliability.

I've flown an airstart Oly, great throttle response and a beautiful looking piece of machinery.

Lag difference between P200 and oly, start up ease between them, service for the oly? AMT usa vs AMT netherland?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Raf
Old 03-03-2008, 05:34 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: AMT oly or P200?

Hi Raf,

One question, are you interested in installations that meet AMA requirements or not?

Regards,

Old 03-03-2008, 05:35 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that Oly throttle response is off the hook, but you should be AMA compliant since that where we fly dude.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:36 PM
ravill

Hi Matt!

I follow all rules and would be thrilled to follow AMA required installs!

I didn't know they had one?

I've heard that twins must not "share gases" but what else are you talking about?

Raf
Old 03-03-2008, 05:38 PM
ravill

Ian? What are you talking about?????? What AMA compliance thing are you talking about bro? Flying more than once at a jet event? Don't make me "Tam" PM you man!!

Raf
Old 03-03-2008, 05:46 PM
ianober

Oh you wanna go the route huh?? Ok Dr. Stranglove, at least when I fly my engine is running and my gear are down when I land!!
Old 03-03-2008, 05:54 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

ORIGINAL: ravill

I think you answered your own question. Stick with what you know...
Old 03-03-2008, 06:03 PM
flyexperimental

I have not owned Jetcat,or AMT USA.I would be interested to hear any input from someone who has owned both of the brands.
On those hot humid midwest days when the turbine is not pulling 45 pounds I would like to have the option to up the rpm's until it will pull 45 pounds on my scale.I would like to be able to get it seviced in the states.Can AMT Netherlands Olympus be serviced in the states?
Thanks,
Joe
I see now after rereading the rule,They go by Factory designated thrust.So those factories that over rate their turbines are really bending you over.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Raf,
like Johnny said, stick to what you know, stay with Jetcat, the P-200 is a great engine. Joe C!!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:07 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Raf

get in touch with Mark Taylor. he's a dealer/rep for AMT NL and located in Fresno, Ca.

the price, performance and service from both is comparable.
convenience due to location would go to JetCat but Mark might have better insight regarding AMTNL.

I've flown both. tremendous power and throttle lag is hardly noticeable since the planes they are operated in require you to operate the motor at an rpm that allows rapid spool up regardless. i.e. if you're driving a big Yellow Twin, for example, with either motor at idle, you won't be flying for long.

if you want to compare idle to full grunt, my experience has the AMT motors being slightly faster but I'm sure recent JetCat "SE" programming has narrowed the difference.

Additionally, Joe McBride probably has the best insight into performance differences since he's operated both in his Hornet. he's as good as they come and will provide a no bull answer to your questions.

good luck
buck

I need a big ar$e engine. My hornet needs to go vertical on takeoff .

Which one should I get?

I've flown an airstart Oly, great throttle response and a beautiful looking piece of machinery.

Lag difference between P200 and oly, start up ease between them, service for the oly? AMT usa vs AMT netherland?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Raf
Old 03-03-2008, 07:51 PM
mr_matt

Hi Matt!

I follow all rules and would be thrilled to follow AMA required installs!

I didn't know they had one?

I've heard that twins must not "share gases" but what else are you talking about?

Raf
Hi Raf,

Single turbine power limited to 45 pounds, per manufacturers specs (not installed thrust) .

Twin turbine installation (effectively) limited to 25 pounds per turbine (not installed thrust)

So for maximum power, a twin might be better, but it looks tricky to me to get it installed right and get big enough tanks installed, etc. It might weigh more as well.

If you ever were to fly while_not_an AMA member, the twin could have a lot more power. The singles could put out over 45 pounds too, but again you cannot operate under the AMA guidelines while configured this way.

The single design is proven, and there many flying. I think Joe McB has flown all of these turbines you mention. I am looking at a P-200 for a 1/6 scale Skymaster F-16 but I have not pulled the trigger on the kit yet.

Good luck in any case. It is a nice plane that is for sure.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:49 PM
TED ANTON
My Feedback: (7)

Oly all the way !

Good Luck

Ted
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36218.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	894293  
Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Joe McBride

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JetCat P200 vs. AMT Netherlands OLY:

Having flown both motors in the same airframe (yellow twin hornet) for about 100 flights I'd say that the performance differences are negligible and so it comes down to price and service. I really can't tell the difference in throttle response or fuel consumption. Reliability has been 100% (50+ flights on P200 in my hornet and 100+ on Lou's Oly) on both!

Can't go wrong with either!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72853.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	894322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58349.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	894323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78499.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	894324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92990.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	894325  
Old 03-03-2008, 11:19 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P-200 BROHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Matt,

Actually the AMA rules do allow for "detuning" of thrust to lower than mfg spec. A detuned OLY, down to 45 lbs, would be legal per AMA. The following is copied direct from AMA Safety Reg.

"15. De-tuned engine thrust settings will be accepted. The pilot must provide manufacturer
documentation."

David S

Old 03-03-2008, 11:48 PM
sideshow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lawl
Old 03-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

You saw how the Oly flew your F4....but your lazy behind does not like air start. So, compare the Auto start Oly to the P200 for price since really they are both awesome motors. Knowing you, I'd go with the P200 since you will *****ing about the Oly's first minor problem and wish you had a JC... So, Ian and I are demanding that you get a P200 so we do not have to suffer from hearing you complian!!!!!! and if the P200 misses ONE start, you are in a world of hurt man!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:08 AM
ianober

What you all seem to be missing is that I believe Raf is going to be putting this motor in his Jet Legend Hornet, yes, the small one!!!!! Just stick with the 200, you'll be golden.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:30 AM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: David Searles

Matt,

Actually the AMA rules do allow for "detuning" of thrust to lower than mfg spec. A detuned OLY, down to 45 lbs, would be legal per AMA. The following is copied direct from AMA Safety Reg.

"15. De-tuned engine thrust settings will be accepted. The pilot must provide manufacturer
documentation."

David S

Hi David,

Indeed, I did not mean to imply anything different.

The point I was making was that in the past, the AMA rules specifically allowed "INSTALLED" thrust to be measured. Therefore, you could run your power higher in order to recover any losses in the installation. These losses can be significant, expecially with bifurcated pipes and bypasses.

This was taken away in one of the last rule changes. Now it is no longer installed thrust but uninstalled. You eat the thrust loss from the installation.

Regards,

EDIT : atrocious spelling even for me
Old 03-04-2008, 01:41 PM
ravill

ORIGINAL: ianober

What you all seem to be missing is that I believe Raf is going to be putting this motor in his Jet Legend Hornet, yes, the small one!!!!! Just stick with the 200, you'll be golden.
Ian, is this from your extensive, vast and all knowing P200 experience? Or is it from your "practice" approach go around before every landing?

To get an oly auto start will be over $7500 with our weak dollar. Ouch. Since I gotta keep up with the McBride's of the world, I think I'm going to have to get a P200.

Ehab, leave Thailand alone and get your free loadin', ducati riding butt back home. We got that F4 to fly.

Raf
Old 03-04-2008, 02:00 PM
ianober

ORIGINAL: ianober

Ian, is this from your extensive, vast and all knowing P200 experience? Or is it from your "practice" approach go around before every landing?

To get an oly auto start will be over $7500 with our weak dollar. Ouch. Since I gotta keep up with the McBride's of the world, I think I'm going to have to get a P200.

Ehab, leave Thailand alone and get your free loadin', ducati riding butt back home. We got that F4 to fly.

Raf
No, but that would be with my vast Jetcat experience and ownership. But feel free to spend the 2 engine price and go with the fire breather
Old 03-05-2008, 02:16 AM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Raf
At least he does not FORCE a landing and breaks the gear almost every time he lands like some one I know...[&:][&:]

I know, I know, I do not have as many jets []as you nor do I fly as much as you[:'(]...you knuckle head
Old 03-06-2008, 06:11 AM
josecilurzo

Hi Raf,

I leaving in Brazil, and we don't have maintenance in Brazil, well, we need the a turbine trustworthy, durable, fast response, concluding : PERFECT, we choose the JETCAT, we had many engines ( ARTES, RAM, FTE ), in my opinion, after 60 flights in our P-70, i BOUGHT MORE 2 JETCATS ( P70 and P120 SE ).
My P-70 it functioned in hot days, cold days, low pressure, high pressure, in an average altitude of 1500 feet, absolutely perfect, and you have one more thing : MR MATT ( THIS IS A GREAT DIFFERENCE, full assistance ) we have a litlle problem, and, he gave some tips and that's OK.
think that : a turbine is for flying, and, this flies!!
she is not one criticizes the others, is an opinion on the JETCAT.
I like the RTI ( I go to buy one ), AMT NETHERLANDS, JETCENTRAL, WREN.

I hope help you.

jose [8D]
Old 04-03-2010, 04:41 PM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

What is the baud rate for the cord between the computer and the ECU for the OLY
Brian