Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

old J3 with fabric restoration

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

old J3 with fabric restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:47 PM
craigpuckett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old J3 with fabric restoration

I picked up a J3 cub at an estate sale and would like to get some info on how to make the fabric covering look better.

it looks like a car thats has sat under pecan trees (stained gray)

the covering is some form of fabric not tissue.

could I just paint it and clearcoat it??

also the balsa control rods seem to have some slack,will that be a problem in the air?

thanks in advance CP
Old 03-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: old J3 with fabric restoration

Try cleaning it first with something like 409 or Simple Green. If that isn't sufficient, you can try a paint cleaner like F&M Ent sells called C-2210 or look for "PrepSol" at your local paint store. Failing that, you might consider re-covering it. If it is a truly sound framework, re-covering will give you the best results ultimately.

Repainting may open a bag of worms that will only drain your bank account of a couple of quarts of paint before you decide to re-cover.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:47 AM
DelRay

C.P.

The painting or whatever means you decide to use to improve the looks of it will make it look nice.The sloppy control rods could make it look real bad. Any "slop" in a control surface could eventually lead to disaster. I would replace the balsa control rod with something like a NyRod, or at least a dowell rod, making sure it is properly supported in the fuselage. Naturally, the size of this plane will mandate the needed size of control rods and hardware. IMO, no matter the size of plane, sloppiness in controls are a "nasty".
Old 03-06-2008, 10:07 AM
CoosBayLumber

No real mention, but I am wondering if by description of the balsa control rods you then got ahold of one of the very old Berkeley models J-3 Cubs. Was about 72 inch wingspan, powered by a 29 or 35? Was popular up to late 1960's.

That fabric for the era may have been silk or one of the imitators. It ought to be hard and dry by now. Your working the surface will only poke a hole in it.

The control rods cannot be replaced with Ny-rodif they are of the standard torque style so common back when unless you intend to replace many other things also. For simplicity. just bind the ends a bit more with nylon thread, and apply a layer of glue over it all.

The biggest problem, other than hanging it up, is that the radio gear is obsolete too. So don't spend too much time fixing non-compatible items, like the rods. If planning on flying it again, go to modern then. Watch out for a change in CG then, for the modern gear weighs less than original did.

Wm.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:06 PM
craigpuckett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have narrowed it down to a great planes 40 size kit circa early to mid 90's

the control rods are prally going to be replaced if I can't get the ones that are in it now stiff.

It came with an ASP 80 4stroke, I will be replacing the old Futaba radio gear with JR as to be compatable with Dads 6102. (Dad is 70 and I'm 48 and were still playing with our toys, so says Mom)

the 80 is the bigest motor listed in the instructions for the GP kit so it should do fine.

so far I have replaced the fuel tank,degumed the engine,and replaced and tested the radio gear.

all I like is getting the control rods stiff and installing the reciever/battery/switch and I can hear the ASP 80 purr(hopefully)

the rods are square 1/2 inch balsa, I think, and are quite slopy[] maybe some epoxy will do the trick. if not I have some metal rods.

thanks all for the info keep it coming[8D]

Old 03-06-2008, 06:02 PM
DelRay

C.P.

I would definitely change out the balsa control rods, no question about it, but that's just my preference. You mentioned metal rods, hopefully, you're not thinking of using a metal rod for the entire length of the control rod you're replacing. Another method would be to use an arrowshaft, they're light weight and fairly strong. I would think the easiest would be a wooden dowell. I would think one about .375 in diameter would be sufficient. Make sure it's supported several places inside the fuselage to prevent vibrations and any chance of flexing.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It doesn't take much paint to make an old plane look a lot better. Two light, sprayed on coats will help a lot, after cleaning it. I did that on a junked Senior Falcon that had streaky old dope on silk and it really spruced it up.

Question is, what is it? It may not matter. If it's paint, it's probably so thoroughly gassed off that compatibility problems are unlikely. Dope or even Lustercoat will probably work whether it is dope or iron on fabric. Try it on the bottom first if you are worried about it. If it's from the 90s it is unlikely to be dope. If it is iron on, you should be able to tell. Or take it to a club meeting--someone will be able to tell. Jim
Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Chip_Mull

It's not a problem with the paint being totally gassed off or cured. It's a contamination problem NOT a compatibility problem. We don't know how much the aircraft was flown and how much oil has migrated into the fabric. It doesn't matter what flavor of fabric it is.

It's a model! Spray a can of your favorite shaker can and go for it. If it fish eyes you can always start over. Then we can start a new thread on how to fix fish eye.

According to the original post "it looks like a car thats has sat under pecan trees (stained gray)". The paint is stained which would indicate it isn't only on the surface.