Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Retracts??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 11:17 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Retracts??

I bought a Sig Kougar built up. I had to repair it and thought I would make some enhancements while I'm at it.

Anyone know how to install retracts in a sheeted foam wing??? Up to this point, everyone I asked only knew how to install them in a foam wing before its sheeted. I'm trying to figure out if its worth it.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:55 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Retracts??

Awwww, c'mon guys......you mean that with all of the years of experience on this forum...no one has an answer to my question???

Well how about this question then......is it worth the effort??
Old 04-27-2003, 11:46 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Retracts??

Can be done if you don't mind a lot of butchery. Lay the retract with the wheel on it on the wing where you want it. the retracts will tilt back so the axles will be level with the leading edge of the wing. Outline the retract with a fine magic marker cut through the sheeting. I use a heavy copper wire in a soldering gun to cut the foam with, of appropriate shapes. the mountings should be the two beams with a 3/32 half rib mounted to each end extending to the LE balsa strip. I make all these wood parts fitted to the retracts but not glued. Keep cutting the foam till the whole assembly fits into the wing.