Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

AX10 Rock Racer RTR

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:47 PM
atv_motocross#38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AX10 Rock Racer RTR

I am looking at buying a ax10 Rock Racer RTR from Axial. I have a few questions. I know the truck isnt out yet, so i may have to wait a little while for detailed answers. What do you think the top speed is with the 14 and the 20 pinion? Would it be able to climb stairs with the front diff locked? (my stairs are also carpeted)

Thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 PM
bigairlife

Default RE: AX10 Rock Racer RTR

Normally, crawlers are only meant to have about a 5-6 mph top speed, so that they have great torque for crawling. Also, usually, people lock both diffs, and if they only lock one diff, it's the rear. With both diffs locked, it should climb stairs easily
Old 03-24-2008, 09:08 PM
hands without shadows

This isn't a crawler and doesnt come with a crawler motor. I would guess it goes around 15mph stock and that it can't climb stairs. Stairs are hard to climb even with a dedicated crawler.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:32 AM
HardWyrd

Both of these guys are right. They give you the 20 pinion because they want to make it a little more versa tel. The ax10 is made for one thing and thats crawling baby... so go down to you LHS and buy a 14 tooth pinion. "AND GET ON THE ROCKS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Nasher

ORIGINAL: bigairlife

Normally, crawlers are only meant to have about a 5-6 mph top speed, so that they have great torque for crawling. Also, usually, people lock both diffs, and if they only lock one diff, it's the rear. With both diffs locked, it should climb stairs easily
If he upgrades the motor to a 55+ turn motor, gears it proper, and locks that front diff, move the battery pack over the front axle and get everything low it might crawl more than a couple stairs, it's also drivers skill.
If you leave everything the way it comes you'll have some roll-overs on your hand. you need to get everything low to lower your cog, cog(center of gravity) is your best friend if set up right and also your worst enemy if you don't know what to do.

Good Luck, Nasher
Old 03-25-2008, 09:53 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: HardWyrd

Both of these guys are right. They give you the 20 pinion because they want to make it a little more versa tel. The ax10 is made for one thing and thats crawling baby... so go down to you LHS and buy a 14 tooth pinion. "AND GET ON THE ROCKS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Axial Rock Racer includes both a front differential and front locker. Same goes for the pinion gear, it includes both a 14 tooth pinion as well as a 20 tooth pinion. The idea is that it gives the buyer the choice of having a trail truck or a dedicated crawler. If you want it to be able to really crawl I'd suggest putting a 55t lathe motor in it. Other than that it should be pretty close to the kit in terms of rock crawling performance.

As for climbing stairs, that really depends on the stairs. I've got stairs in my house that my Axial can't crawl, but I guess if you have stairs with enough traction and no "lip" at the end of it you may be able to get it to climb them.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:56 AM
drevil

BTW According to one of the R/C magazines the Axial AX10 goes 7mph with stock gearing and a 55t lathe motor. I'd guess that the 20t pinion and 27t motor would push it to around 15mph. However if you really want this thing to crawl you want it to go even slower than stock. I put a 12t pinion in my Axial and it climbs even better now! Slow = good....at least in rock crawling.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:00 PM
atv_motocross#38

What battery should i use? I have a peak racing 3300 mah one now but is it good enough? What does the t mean that is after the motor number mean? (20t, 21t) I think it stands for turn but im not sure. Is the servo saver alright? I doubt i will use this other than pure crawler "mode" so i dont think i really need a servo saver (since i wont be going very fast) so is there a strait from servo system i can buy/make or is the stock one okay?

thanks
Old 03-25-2008, 04:10 PM
atv_motocross#38

and does it have oil filled shocks?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:16 PM
fisherkip

Your battery is fine for starting, but you should change to a saddle pack to lower you COG.
The "T" stands for turns, the more turns a motor has the more torque and less speed it has. You want a lot of torque for crawling. Most crawlers don't use a servo saver I think for 2 reasons, one you won't be going that fast and two because you need positive tire placement without the play that a saver allows. And yes it has oils filled shocks, although but don't fill them to full because you don't want the shocks to rebound when you compress them without springs.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Nasher

When you get enough money get [link=http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-Delrin-Axle-Plates-for-Axial-AX-10-Scorpion-2-each-p-16524.html]Battery plates[/link] and one of the following links

[link=http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-6-cell-Split-Battery-Pack-for-AX10-Scorpion-p-16619.html]Deans- Battery[/link]
OR
[link=http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94_76&produ cts_id=690]Tamiya- battery[/link]
Old 03-25-2008, 07:37 PM
fasstrevo

So it sounds like if you only want to crawl the kit is the better setup correct? I'm also considering purchasing an AX10, but very undecided on which version to buy. I like the idea of the versatility of the RTR, but I guess that you could always tweak the setup on the kit version if you wanted to make a basher/crawler. Is there a hands down answer on which one to buy?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 PM
drevil

Depends on how much you're looking to spend. The kit will definitely come out to a good bit more money, however it includes a ton of beautiful anodized aluminum parts that the RTR substitutes for plastic.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:38 PM
fasstrevo

Money is not really a consideration. I just want what I will be happier with in the end. What do you think?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:21 AM
azzman

Go for the kit then...
Old 03-26-2008, 11:58 AM
drevil

Yea then I'd just go for the kit.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:11 PM
atv_motocross#38

My friend thinks 300 bucks is alot to spend on a "novelty". Do you guys think rock crawling is a novelty rc? I dont see it getting boring, especially with this one, because of the option to race or to crawler.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:46 PM
munro300

Its deffinately not a novelty, your friend must not be into rc at all. I just got an AX 10 a couple months ago and love it, dont get the racer get the kit you wont regret it!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:52 AM
cubnpede82

Hey guys, thinking of getting an AX-10 or a Tamiya CR-01 Land Cruiser, What do you think, this will be for all around fun at the park and camping and such. I will do rear steer on either one, and get a TQ-3 from EBAY and mod 3rd Ch for steering, or I have a DX6i spektrum I could try. Any tips on using an air radio and setting it up for crawling? What's the best way to correct the pinion angle on the AX-10, if I get it it will be the kit, and a few parts, like the bent lower arms, batt. tray, good lockers, etc. and some other rims and tires just for good measure LOL
Eventually I will have both crawlers to have 2 for camping fun with friends and dad and stuff. Which first?

Laters,
Isaiah
Old 05-14-2008, 06:54 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: cubnpede82

Hey guys, thinking of getting an AX-10 or a Tamiya CR-01 Land Cruiser, What do you think, this will be for all around fun at the park and camping and such. I will do rear steer on either one, and get a TQ-3 from EBAY and mod 3rd Ch for steering, or I have a DX6i spektrum I could try. Any tips on using an air radio and setting it up for crawling? What's the best way to correct the pinion angle on the AX-10, if I get it it will be the kit, and a few parts, like the bent lower arms, batt. tray, good lockers, etc. and some other rims and tires just for good measure LOL
Eventually I will have both crawlers to have 2 for camping fun with friends and dad and stuff. Which first?

Laters,
Isaiah
Go over to RCCrawler.com Look for a member called Tanis. He is from Yakima. PM him for some help. He is heavily into crawlers. Seems to be a nice guy.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:09 PM
drevil

ORIGINAL: cubnpede82
Which first?
Depends on which one you prefer. The Axial was built to be a competition crawler so it will be the better overall crawler and there are many more aftermarket parts for it. On the other hand the Tamiya is a really nicely made rig, and that body is to die for.

If you're eventually going to get both then I'd say go for the Axial first. Reason being is that the Tamiya is a little hard to come by right now and many places are overcharging for them knowing people will pay just to get one. Six months from now you'll be able to get one a lot easier and more than likely cheaper. If you can come by the Tamiya at a decent price and like it better then by all means go for it.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:07 AM
cubnpede82

OK, got the AX10 RTR today, $150 new at a LHS , it came in damaged box. I think FedEx coulda thrown it around a bunch and not hurt what was in the box anywhere near what I plan to ...........
for that price I couldn't resist. Now I'm making plans for what to upgrade. Got the CR-01 reserved with a deposit already, saw it on the shelf at a LHS and had to make him order another. They do LAYAWAY!!!!! LOL
so, I'm gonna go for some springs to test, bent links, the and eventually new servos, and rear steer, and green alum to fill it out later.
Other than the Rooster Crawler with 55T set, and bent links, and a pickup body or something more scale, what should I get for trail and semi-competition style fun, I wanna have the pair of trucks for camping fun and such.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:34 PM
drevil

Get some stick on lead weights to put inside the wheels and while you have the wheels apart star cut the foams. Those two mods make a big difference in the traction you'll get on the rocks.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:42 PM
cubnpede82

Thanks,
Both good tips, and they're on the list after that first camping trip it'll go on this weekend. I'm getting some more springs, and will be getting high clearance links and the color kit and hardware upgrade soon, and the 55T motor is already coming with the springs. I'm getting a Hitec 333 oz/in. servo next week on payday. and soon a second for the rear. Any things that the RTR lacks that make a big difference? I will be using this for fun and scale/trail type crawling mostly, I got a Tamiya CR-01 comming too, to go with it on expeditions. Any advice would be good. The bodies that fit the MAXX and Savage are the size I want right. I wanna get a Chevy pickup body , like the 72 longbed, will it fit?

Thanks,
laters,
Isaiah

Safety Warning!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and if a friend plays with the AX10, make sure they don't pull the trigger while you're flipping it over. look at the spur/pinion from the bottom, pull the trigger, and imagine that's where the tip of your middle finger was as you were flipping the truck. now look at your finger and imagine ground beef for the tip, it got me pretty good. I'm gonna make some sort of cover before I let the little one play with this thing any more, and it was supposed to be for him cause it's slower. think about it, that is one dangerous spot that has no cover, I'm going to write Axial about this one. and with the 55T it really would have ate some meat off.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:33 PM
tzque

I have thinking about Rock Crawling for about two years now . I jsut didnt wants to rip apart my clodbuster . I have been doing a little reseach and here are my question . If I bought the kit what electronics can I take from my older electric trucks . I have two Stampedes and a Clod buster . Can I use the esc from The Stampede .
Secondly I spoke to my LHS and he advised to by the RTR . He said for the level I will be crawling it will be fine .Most of the guys here recommend the kit . I have been in this hobby a long time and I dont want to Re-invest and buy motors and electronics . I know I pretty much answered my own question but looking for advice . I will crawl with my son should I buy the ax10 and the losi crawler and how good is the losi . Duratrax looks like a toy I dont want it . How good is RTR ax10 . I know some of you have answered these question before but the answers are so varied . I looked the other day and people are still asking what better Savage or Tmaxx/Revo . Be patient For the record Savage .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.