Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

How do i break-in and tune?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

How do i break-in and tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 PM
JohnnyBenz22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i break-in and tune?

I just bought a used apache 56 with a zenoah 260, The guy that sold it to me said this was his first gas boat and he was only halfway breaking in the engine than quit. He said all i have to do is run another 2 tanks of gas threw it for it to be fully breakin in. How do i finish breakin in the engine? After that how do i tune the high and low needle?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:15 PM
JohnnyBenz22

Default RE: How do i break-in and tune?

Anyone know?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
alloutcustom

For breaking in you run low to moderate rpms while running rich to lubricate the engine. Not completely positive though
Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 PM
petesmiff

Hi, got my first zen a month ago, the instructions said it didn't need any special break in procedure so I just fueled it and went steady for a couple of hours.
Seems fine at the moment. Not sure if this is right just my (limited) experience.
As it relys on a piston ring to make a gas tight seal in the combustion chamber instead of an interference fit like in a nitro engine it shouldn't need any special break in.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:48 PM
juicr

I say let it ripp!!!! For the stock carb. Set the needles 1 1/2 on both and go from there.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 PM
JohnnyBenz22

How do i know when the high and low needle are set right?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:48 PM
dicko

just make sure you do a few laps at moderate speed to let the engine warm up before you hit WOT. make sure you have water flow through the head, manifold & pipe at all times too. that's all you need to do.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:53 PM
JohnnyBenz22

ok but i have no idea how to tune the high and low speed needle. I know how to tune my nitro truck, but have have no idea how a rc boat is like.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:15 PM
ken0276
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: nguyen3254

ok but i have no idea how to tune the high and low speed needle. I know how to tune my nitro truck, but have have no idea how a rc boat is like.
Tight the two needles clockwise then turn it back out 2 turns on L and 1-1/4 turns on H if yours is 257 carb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58502.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	914549  
Old 03-27-2008, 01:42 PM
JohnnyBenz22

So thats all i got to do to tune the engine, set the needls like that? Would that be good enough for everyday running or do i have to adjust when the temp outside changes? I am always gonna run it in saltwater, so what am i supposed to do after i run the boat in saltwater?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:50 PM
mauian

rinse with fresh water, thru all the lines and rinse inside and outside. Then spray entire motor with wd40, remove spark plug and wd40 the inside also and give it a few cranks. After that keep cranking it upside down to drain wd40 and any water that may be in motor, give it a quick spray of wd40 again replace plug and you done.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Dreamin Hemi

I also live on the beaches. I have a hose attachment in my garden hose that I use to flush, or use to adjust my engines.

Check out post #314 in the "AquaCraft Rio 51 anybody?" thread (page 13??). I would give a link directly, but something wrong w/ site now and I can't post pictures, or anything else other than replies.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:55 PM
mauian

So thats all i got to do to tune the engine, set the needls like that? Would that be good enough for everyday running or do i have to adjust when the temp outside changes? I am always gonna run it in saltwater, so what am i supposed to do after i run the boat in saltwater?
As for your needle settings temps may change the way your boat runs as altitude does, just check or run as normal and if there is a difference adjust needles very little at a time. MOtor dies when ya drop it in the water usually means you to lean so you would back out the needles a little and try again.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:38 PM
JohnnyBenz22

I would be running this apache boat aboat 40 to 50 miles offshore on my 115 feet shrimpboat when i am anchored. Whats the recomended needle setting for the zenoah 260 for the engine to always be running so it wouldnt shut off because of it being to lean or rich. Because if it goes dead out in sea then i would have to crank up both of my caterpiller v12 diesel engine and winch up my 700lb anchore on my shrimpboat to go get the apache.

Do i need to keep spare srapk plugs handy? What kind of spark plugs and oil do i need for it?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL....don't you have a motorized dinghy thingy on your 115' shrimp yacht....??? [8D]
Old 03-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Get used to it.....it WILL stall at some point in time. There is no "Magic" setting for the carb to prevent stalling. Too many factors....even water getting in the carb AFTER you find your perfect setting. Go a little rich if anything if stalling is what your worried about. May lose some top end, but will be less likely to shut down on you.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:45 AM
JohnnyBenz22

Nope no dinghy just an instant inflatable life raft just incase if the boat sinks.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:17 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fishing pole and tennis ball works for in close,attach some strong cord through the ball and tie your lijne to it and cast,i use the butt end of a sea rod(beach caster).If you go far out then i suggest buying a small dinghy and some oars or a small motor.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:41 PM
JohnnyBenz22

What kind of oil does it have to be? Could i get the spark plug at any car hardware store? I had received the apache today and the old owner had remove all of the fuel line and all the water line and i dont have any idea where the lines goes. Theres 3 line where the water goes out of the hull, 2 on the exaust pipe, 2 on the engine, 1 for the water pickup, 1 for the engine by the exhaust, 1 for the ruder and 3 from the water pump. Does anyone have any clear pics of where the lines goes to?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:12 PM
JohnnyBenz22

Another stupid question, Whats the best way to shut of the engine? Is there a quick way to start the engine?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Hurricain

I would love to be there to see this one!! 115' rescue boat
Hurricain

I would be running this apache boat aboat 40 to 50 miles offshore on my 115 feet shrimpboat when i am anchored. Whats the recomended needle setting for the zenoah 260 for the engine to always be running so it wouldnt shut off because of it being to lean or rich. Because if it goes dead out in sea then i would have to crank up both of my caterpiller v12 diesel engine and winch up my 700lb anchore on my shrimpboat to go get the apache.

Do i need to keep spare srapk plugs handy? What kind of spark plugs and oil do i need for it?