Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Mini Titan Setup Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Mini Titan Setup Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
smarks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Titan Setup Questions

I have a few questions on the setup of my MT:

1. How tight should the tail belt be and what is a good way to know the proper tension?
2. How easy should the head spin by hand? I am wondering if the tail belt and motor gear lash are too tight because the head will stop fairly quickly after spinning it by hand. I did the paper strip test between the motor and main gear and the paper came out looking OK like an accordion with sharp edges. The paper was not mangled.
3. How tight should the main blades be in the grips?
4. When your gyro is properly setup, will you never need to use rudder trim? I am using a Hitec HG-5000 gyro FWIW.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:31 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 379 Likes on 306 Posts
Default RE: Mini Titan Setup Questions

ORIGINAL: smarks

I have a few questions on the setup of my MT:

1. How tight should the tail belt be and what is a good way to know the proper tension?
Loose as you can get it without it skipping a tooth when you hold the tail and try to turn the head with a moderate force. If you force it it will skip a tooth. Its kind of a feel thing. If you poke a screw driver into the opening at the rear of the frame and can easily push the belt and touch the other side of it it's too loose, if it feels like a banjo string its too tight.
2. How easy should the head spin by hand? I am wondering if the tail belt and motor gear lash are too tight because the head will stop fairly quickly after spinning it by hand. I did the paper strip test between the motor and main gear and the paper came out looking OK like an accordion with sharp edges. The paper was not mangled.
Sounds good, see 1, if the belts too tight it wont go around too many times. Also these blades don't weigh much so they don't carry a lot of intertia.
3. How tight should the main blades be in the grips?
Tight enough to hold the heli on its side and not flop around, loose enough to move when you give it a shake.
4. When your gyro is properly setup, will you never need to use rudder trim? I am using a Hitec HG-5000 gyro FWIW.

Thanks!
True
Old 04-03-2008, 12:58 AM
smarks

Thanks for the advice Andy! I think I have the belt too tight which may be giving me my gyro problem. I also think I have the main blades too tight in the grips. I have to give it a good shake before the blades move.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 379 Likes on 306 Posts

No problem.

If the blades are too tight you can get vibration when they try to lead and lag (pivot on the blade bolt) and vibration will cause gyros to act up and drift.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:58 PM
smarks

Great info. Thanks again Andy