Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Monocoating over paint?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Monocoating over paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Steve Steinbring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monocoating over paint?

Has anyone had success monocoting over paint in particular automotive primer vs. painting the colors?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Monocoating over paint?

Using a LOW TEMP covering over primer or paint is chancey. The heat required to shrink the covering can "melt" the primer/paint. I have managed to cover over paint a couple of times using low temp film, but it was not fun. Had to be VERY careful of the heat.

I don't feel it would work well with a high temp covering (and Monokote REQUIRES heat almost to the film melting point in order to shrink the majority of colors ).
Old 04-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Deadeye

Use just enough heat to get it to stick, and use a sock. Avoid compound curves; and clearcoating is required, dusting the first few coats and then sealing it all up with a heavier coat or two. The cowl and pants on the following planes were primed, painted in lusterkote, and monokote trim applied.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49873.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	924885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69795.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	924886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87043.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	924887  
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Steve Steinbring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the imputs. I kind of figured what you've described would be the case. My question comes from color matching issues on a cowl I want to do. Paint it is then![]
Old 04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

If you want an EXACT paint match, bring a sample of the covering to a Lowes, Home Depot, etc and have them color match a quart of latex (quart is the smallest they will do), then clear coat when dry/cured (about 10 days for flat and 21 days for semi-gloss/gloss).

Another option might be Nelson's paints. They have exact matches for MANY Monokote and Ultracote colors. Use the crosslinker and it is fuel proof to about 15%+ nitro. Be aware that Nelsons is in the process of being bought by someone else, so orders may be delayed, AND the paint is not cheap.