Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Velocity .17

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 03:57 PM
immauss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Velocity .17

OK,
So, I got my Duratrax Overdrive ST last week. And its killing me. I can't get it tuned right. Part of the problem is I'm stuck here in Italy and can't get decent fuel. I go to the hobby shop here and bought some fuel that they say is car fuel. Its 10% Nitro, 10% Cator Oil, and 80% Methanol. When I first went to start it up, I set the high speed needle at 2 3/4 from closed as directed, but I couldn't get it to start. I eventually got it to start by holding the throttle half open, and ended up closing the high speed needle to almost 1 1/2 turns to keep it at idle. Somewhere along the line, I messed with the low speed idle too. Well, long story short, I have no idea where the low speed idle is suppose to be set. Anyone know what the factory seting for the low speed idle is suppose to be.

I could probably ask another million questions about, tuning this thing, but I think I should probably start at ground zero and try again.

Thanks,
Old 05-01-2003, 09:34 PM
rc10gt-RCU

Default Velocity .17

I'm not sure of the stock settings but if your car is running good at your settings and holding a good temperature then you are good to go. Don't always go by what the stock settings are. Altitude and air density are what matters. Keep an eye on the temps and if they stay below 240 then you are good to go.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:09 PM
GeorgeKelp
My Feedback: (1)

Default Velocity .17

hey i have an overdrive also!! i found out that the engine was finiky but riped once it was tuned correctly. put the high speed 3 1/4 turns open, and the low speed 2 1/2. if it sputters in the begining, then try closing the low speed a 1/4 turn, if it sputters at the end, open the high speed.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:28 AM
Overdrive

Default Velocity .17

I have an overdrive too, but 3 1/4 turns open seems a little high on the high speed needle. I think its soppose to be like 2 3/4 turns open when you start the break-in. Thats what the manual said. After break-in (about 5 tanks later) I had the high speed needle at about 2 to 2 1/4 turns open. I did't even bother tunning the low end, since it didnt say to. Besides it goes super fast now so why would I want to change it.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:33 AM
GeorgeKelp

Default Velocity .17

i thought u said you were having trouble tuning?
Old 05-02-2003, 05:01 AM
immauss

Default Velocity .17

Major problems tuning. Could it be the fuel ? Should I look for something with a higher Oil content to help keep it cooler ? The guy at the hobby shop here tells me he can mix it the way I want it, (which scares me)
I can get it to run, and it seems like its ok, then it will just stop. I think its over heating. I don't have a temp gauge, so I'm using the "drop of water" method. I can't even get it to run at 2 3/4 open, it has to be around 1 1/2 to 2, wich means its getting less oil for cooling right ? Would a higher nitro content help maybe ? A little frustrated, by airplane engine was a no brainer to tune, it runs great, but this thing is driving me nuts.

Thanks,
Old 05-02-2003, 01:01 PM
GeorgeKelp

Default Velocity .17

your running it too lean. yes you are correct that less open the less fuel which means less cooling, try it at 3 turns open for the high speed, and then if it still dont work, turn the low speed 2 1/2 turns from all the way close.