Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Replacing Robart hinges

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:34 AM
bgold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Robart hinges

What is the easiest way to replace Broken Robart hinges. The rudder hit a little to hard and I broke 2 of 5 hinges. Don''t anyone start worrying about Robarts, I had removed the original pin and replaced with a length of music wire to make the rudder removeable. Turns out I don''t need to remove the rudder so I would just as soon replace all 5 hinges while I''ve got it apart if I can get the old hinges out easy enough.

Bill
Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 AM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Replacing Robart hinges

Start with a very small drill in your dremmel. move up in drill size and feel for wood as you go. It''s impossible to get the hinge out without having to cut the covering. If you don''t there will be pieces rattling around inside the tail.
Simplest way is to install new alongside the old. To install new hinges, wrap the hinge joint with Blenderm (foamy hinge tape) to keep the glue out.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:43 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Alternatively, you can smear vaseline near the hinge points. Same stuff I hope you used on the knuckles before gluing.

Once the glue is in and the hinge is in, you can wipe both the vaseline and excess with alcohol.

BTW, I walked away from Gorilla glue and back to epoxy, because it tended to expand and leak inside and create weird spots of glues inside the covering.

ORIGINAL: altavillan

Start with a very small drill in your dremmel. move up in drill size and feel for wood as you go. It''''s impossible to get the hinge out without having to cut the covering. If you don''''t there will be pieces rattling around inside the tail.
Simplest way is to install new alongside the old. To install new hinges, wrap the hinge joint with Blenderm (foamy hinge tape) to keep the glue out.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:53 AM
bgold

I''m concerned about removing the old hinges, I thought I had read where heat was used but I couldn''t find those posts.

I do use Vaseline in the joints when installing hinges and epoxy for the glue. I felt like I had no control of Gorilla Glue.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fast and easy is to use a Dremel with a cut off wheel. Cut off the exposed section of the hinge. Cut off all the hinges for the surface. Drill new holes and replace with new. I don''t like fighting or fussing with removing something that was well glued into something else.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Can also just melt them out with a soldering iron..
Old 04-15-2008, 12:58 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10 points for post #5. That''s what I would do.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:57 PM
plaster93
My Feedback: (20)

Bgold, do yourself a favor! Get some K&B brass tubing, 5/16", cut a piece of at 4". Sharpen the end of the tubing with some sand paper. Now insert the tube into your cordless drill and core out the old hinge. The hinge should stay in the tube and you''ll just pull it out of the tube with some pliers. Then get a piece of 5/16" hardwood dowel, cut some pieces at say 1". Take a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and make some light grooves in the dowel around it. Then take some 30 min epoxy, apply to the dowel and around the inside of the hinge hole, insert dowel and allow to cure. Then sand as needed for the angle if so be, and use your Robart hinge guide o drill a new hole for the hinge. Works like a charm, and will never come out!
Steve
Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 AM
RTK

That''s the way I have done it. I was lazy and didn't use the dowel though.