Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

First Giant scale problems

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

First Giant scale problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 09:14 PM
daveb86
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Giant scale problems

I have an H 9 extra 260, this is my first larger scale airplane and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to setup the elevators. As you know thier is one servo per elevator half. this is new to me, ive never done this before. I am using a Jr 8103 tx and a Jr 2100 10 ch reciever. I have the left aile servo plugged into aux 1, the right aile servo into aile. rud to rud, thro to thro. obviosly i put one elevator half into the elev slot but where does the other one go, and how do you program it? Thanks Guys any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:57 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First Giant scale problems

Should go into Aux 3. There should also be a dual elevator mode in the programming of the radio.

Once this is setup the elevators are tied together. They move at the same time with the stick and trim will trim both. You can still subtrim them seperately though.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

I don't think the 8103 has the dual elevator function, does it?
You are going to have to do a mix, or use Hitec programmable servos.

Jim
Old 04-19-2008, 10:22 PM
daveb86

ok so i have done that and both elevator halves do move together. But Not dead on like they should. Its close but one moves a hair more that the other and i dont know how to make any adjustments to Aux 3 there isnt an option. (that i know of)
Old 04-19-2008, 10:24 PM
daveb86

oh and then if you use aux 3 on top of the tx there is a dial and that dial also controls aux 3 and if you bump it at moves the surface. Im not real sure i like that
Old 04-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Hammbone

This is why we upgrade to a better tx.
I don't think you can get rid of the slight delay as the slave follows the master in the mix, at least I never figured out how to years ago when I had an 8103 tx.
I upgraded to a 10X tx more than 10 years ago and have never looked back.

If you don't want to upgrade to a better tx, I think using programmable Hitec servos on the same channel is your only other option, and that should solve the problem.

Jim
Old 04-19-2008, 10:46 PM
daveb86

what about a jr matchbox since i already have all my servos. would that do the trick
Old 04-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

It's been a while since I sold my 8103, but here goes:

Use mix 5 or mix 6 to set up an elev to aux3 mix, these two mixes will allow the trim button to work on both channels.

Try to set your control horn and servo pushrod geometry identical on both sides of the elevators. Use minimum sub trim (preferrably none) on each channel to center the elevs. Set the EPA (end point adjustment) the same on both channels.
You can adjust the mix percentage to match the surface deflection. ie use +98% instead of 100% if you need a little less throw to match the elev chan.

I'm not sure how I disabled the knob/lever for the aux channel that I used, but you can try using another mix (mix 3 or 4) and mix Aux3 to aux3 at -100% to -100%, this will cancel the knob/lever input so that you don't accidentally move the aux elev.

Hammbone is correct in regards to a delay in the control surface movement, but it is very slight and not noticable in flight for most.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Hammbone

Yes, A matchbox would work also. I forgot about that.

As for not noticing the delay during flight, I guess it depends on how you fly or maybe the plane you fly. I definitely have noticed the effects of a delay on one of the elevators during flight. I noticed it years ago before I purchased my 10X (and solved the problem), and I noticed it last year on a friends plane who was flying with a Futaba 9C.

Jim
Old 04-20-2008, 09:48 AM
3dd

a smartfly eq will do the same job and safe a few bucks and is lighter than a jr matchbox
Old 04-20-2008, 10:19 AM
daveb86

ok yeah not having any luck deactivating the knob. did what you said still moves. Thanks
Old 04-20-2008, 11:21 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

What does it say in the manual?

If it appears one side is slower or faster than the other, then one side is moving further than the other.

You cannot just set the ATV the same on both sides, you need to actually measure the surface deflection on both sides and use the measurements to set the ATV independently for each side to match. Since your geometry is different on each side, and servos usually do not travel the same distance for the same ATV settings (even the same model of servo) it is normal for the numbers not to match on either side to get the same throw on both sides.

I also sold my 8103 a LONG time ago, but you should be able to disable that knob if I remember right.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:37 PM
daveb86

ok i have tried. i cannot get the knob to deactivate. No where in the manual does it say anything about it. I tried the mixing the aux 3 and aux 3 at 100% but still nothing, doesnt seem to have any effect on the nob. Dont know what to do.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Hammbone

We already gave you your options.

Jim
Old 04-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Airbike

to deactivate a control using a mix:
mix at -100% (negative 100%) so the output cancels the input
Old 04-21-2008, 12:09 AM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I have always used channel 5(also called Gear channel) for my slave channel, because it does not have a trim knob. I don't know how the 8103 works, but in my 9303 I had to inhibit the gear switch in system parameters(sys. parameters is the menu you enter by pushing a certain button or two while powering up the tx).
If you think your high rates are bad, as far as being off, wait till you look at your low rates! Unless the two servos you are using happen to be perfectly matched (all servos are a little different as far as where they center, their speed, and their throw), and your geometry is 100% perfect on both elevators(again, highly unlikely), then you will always have some deviations. Add to this the natural latency in a radio system and you start to see why your elevators are not throwing perfectly.
The matchbox/equalizer is an option, but not the best option, IMO. They will only match the centers and max endpoints. This is fine if all you are doing is 3D and other high-rate flying. But due to all the other factors previously mentioned, you will likely find that, even after you set up your elevators to throw perfectly equal in their maxed-out throws, the elevators will be noticeably off at half throws or whatever your low rates are. You cannot fix this with a matchbox or equalizer. If you do it through your transmitter, you can have a seperate mix for high and low rates.
Of course, as also mentioned, a better transmitter with better programming would be a big help. I use a multi-point mix in my 9303, which allows you to adjust the mixing value at multiple points across the travel range.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Nelvick
My Feedback: (2)

In my case i use Hitec digital servos and i have the HSP-20 programer and with the programer you can invert the servo rotation. But you can also use a matchbox.