Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Thin Aluminum sheeting????

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Thin Aluminum sheeting????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:07 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thin Aluminum sheeting????

Hey guys, can someone point me to a good supplier of .014 aluminum sheeting in the So. Cal area???

Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thin Aluminum sheeting????

I do not know how thin it is....but I buy mine at Menards or Home Depot type places. Look in the roof flashing department. I use it for inspection covers and such on 1/4 & 1/3 size planes. Six inches wide.
Jim
Old 04-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....flashing thickness....[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98658.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	935659  
Old 04-23-2008, 08:37 PM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

....flashing thickness....[sm=wink_smile.gif]
The thickness will work.now if I can get a piece about 16x 20 inches.
Thanks guys for the help.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Jburry

Try heating and air condition shops, if you can't find it at the local home improvement or hardware store.

Should be available anywhere where they make sheet metal things. Some cities also have metal supply stores, that cater to the manufacturing and jobber industries. Also, think trailers, or siding shops. or automotive bodyshops.

Shouldn't be too difficult with a little lookin'!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

www.mcmaster.com - go to page 3635, .015 thk 18" X 60" <$11
Old 04-23-2008, 11:18 PM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: Dorsal

www.mcmaster.com - go to page 3635, .015 thk 18" X 60" <$11
BINGO!!!! Thanks.this will work.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:55 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a local printer. Ask for used lithoplate. It's thin aluminum sheets used in printing. they often have to pay to get rid of it once used. Take it home and bake it in the oven for a while at the highest setting to soften. Let cool slowly.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:33 AM
w5kfg
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone had any trouble with your radio system in your metal coverd planes. I have had one covered with flite-metal. Withe the engine running, all my controls surfaces were jittery. The antenna was outside anhd pinned to the verticle stabilazer
Old 04-24-2008, 09:23 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Industrial Metals in Kearny Mesa.

Les
Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 AM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

Industrial Metals in Kearny Mesa.

Les
Thanks.I have used them before. Just wasn't sure if they carry the thin stuff. I'll call them later today.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:38 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

"Try a local printer. Ask for used lithoplate. It's thin aluminum sheets used in printing. they often have to pay to get rid of it once used. Take it home and bake it in the oven for a while at the highest setting to soften. Let cool slowly."

This is not entirely true. Most printers that I've worked at or know, sell their used plates for aluminum scrap value. However, some of the smaller guys may give you a used plate or two if you ask them.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:46 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 293 Likes on 250 Posts

For small areas the aluminum tape they use for duct work is great. Lightly buffed with steel wool and you can make individual looking panels too.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Jburry

The fellow with glitching from a metal covered plane:

Metal can cause alot of RF problems, especially if there's a metal piece that can vibrate against it, or 2 metal control rods that can vibrate together. Whenever 2 metal pieces vibrate together, they can make radio noise. Also, if it was a gasser, careful installation and separation of the radio and ignition systems is required.

Metal structures do present challenges with RC equipment, but by carefully eliminating potential problems in a methodical manner, they can be made to work well.

J
Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Yuu

jburry... a fellow at our club had radio problems after he used a silver metal cloured plastic covering on the outside of the fuse, with the antenna inside. I don't know if the antenna was rolled on a wooden stick, or just run back and forward....
Old 05-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Hi Folks,
I did the Product Review for R/C Modeler on the ZAGI 400 Electric. I had a problem with interference []caused by the Speed Control with BEC located on top of the Receiver as per the Model Mfg. instructions. I cut a piece off of a Soda Can and bent it to cover the reciver. It provided enough shielding that it cured the RF problem. And it is still flying! kbkopy
Old 05-06-2008, 01:07 PM
FliteMetal

ORIGINAL: w5kfg Has anyone had any trouble with your radio system in your metal coverd planes.
I have had one covered with flite-metal. Withe the engine running, all my controls surfaces were jittery. The
antenna was outside anhd pinned to the verticle stabilazer
Interesting circumstance you find yourself in.

1.) Are you using a gas engine or glow power? I have had "one" gas customer experience interference from
their spark plug because it did not have a shielded plug attachment.

2.) Has your receiver ever...been in a crash?

3.) What brand receiver...what channel?

4.) Has the onboard battery ever been in a crash? How old is the battery?

5.) Is your antenna wire (plastic covering) worn or permitting the copper strands of the actual antenna to
touch anything metallic? Is there by chance a T-pin stuck through your antenna wire and into the plane?

6.) How long have you had this plane covered. I have not received any inquiries relative to a problem of
this nature in nine years. I realize it can be frustrating to track down the source of an electrical problem.
I suggest you first change out receivers with someone else on your frequency before chasing anything.
Use their switch harness, receiver, and battery pack.

This costs you nothing and will typically do a decent job of isolating the problem. If it continues to be an
issue with another radio receiver set up then look at the spark plug shielding if gas or the throttle linkage
set up...as a clevis rod Z bent through the hole in a carb will generate a lot of spurious RF. Always use a
nylon clevis or socket on throttles.

Hope this helped focus on resolving your spurious R/F issue.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:56 PM
H5487

EVERY R/Cer should have a copy of the Aircraft Spuce & Specialty catalog on their workbench. Not only is it a wealth of information, it's FREE! (My favorite word!) True, AS&S is geared mostly towards full-sized aircraft, it's amazing how much is also useable for R/C.

Contact them at 1-877-477-7823 or www.aircraftspruce.com

Yes, they have .016 alum sheet in multiple sizes and grades and no minimum order. They sell mostly through mail order but you can also buy over the counter if you live close to their Corona, CA and Peachtree City, GA facilities.

Harvey
Old 05-28-2008, 12:59 PM
FliteMetal

w5kfg

Interesting you popped in here asking for assistance and then disappeared...

Answering a few of those questions will probably lead to resolving the issue.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: daven

"Try a local printer. Ask for used lithoplate. It's thin aluminum sheets used in printing. they often have to pay to get rid of it once used. Take it home and bake it in the oven for a while at the highest setting to soften. Let cool slowly."

This is not entirely true. Most printers that I've worked at or know, sell their used plates for aluminum scrap value. However, some of the smaller guys may give you a used plate or two if you ask them.
When I worked for Bolder Printing in San Diego, I used to take all our old, outdated litho plates to the hobbyshop to give to anyone that wanted them for free. I remember on time taking a stack about 8-9" tall to the shop for 'e to give away.

Most shops now either have film plates or are directly digital. Check out the small print shops, single owner proprieterships, they might still have litho plate. Any of the bigger shops will more than likely not have any...gone digital.

Jon
Old 06-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just an add on here. Litho plates also come in several different sizes and thickness. Almost all job shops or smaller print shops are still using litho plates but most the quick print shops are using paper or film plates.
If you have A web printer {one big single roll of paper flowing through the press} then they also have end pieces of the paper roll. Good stuff for lay out or design work in RC and that word again, FREE!!