Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Gas OB - Props

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Gas OB - Props

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Outboard Jay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas OB - Props

Has anyone tried turning the 1/4" prop shaft down where it exits the housing to 3/16", keeping the integrity of the rest of the unit on the LAWLESS boot? I wonder if this is feasible? Seems this would open up many more possibilities as to prop selection.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
lildude2599

Default RE: Gas OB - Props

I think it would work but as soon as you hit something there goses the prop and shaft. It will most likely break off at the turn down part.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:56 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Jay,

Now why would you do that? I'd suggest you call Fred Howe and ask him to send you a 3/16" shaft over the 1/4" one. He has both of them for the G-Drive.. I stayed with the 1/4" over the 3/16".. Don't know why really, just thought (there I go again, thinking!) it would be stronger..
Old 04-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Outboard Jay

Thanks, Mark....haven't been in touch with Fred for months..didn't know he has 3/16"...have you used 3/16" at all? What prop works well w/ your ZIGGY?...still trying to fabricate a workable "oiler" to attach to the engine somewhere...anyone got any ideas?

Jay
Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 PM
ob nut

Haven't tried the 3/16" shaft.. Fred asked me which one I wanted to replace the orginal 1-piece unit.

I did put a nipple on the lower to be used for an oiler system. At the World Tunnel Champs, learned something real important.. These shafts don't like oil.. 10w/40 was being used at the time. After breaking another shaft on Friday's open water, I was talked into using Prather shaft grease. Working great.. After each run, pull the shaft out and regrease.. It's a pain, but better than changing a shaft out every other run. Oh yea, replace the teflon tube with a brass sleeve.

Can't recall which props Joe brought with him to the race for me to use. Believe the one that did work well is a custom made prop. No markings what-so-ever. Don't know if there was a name given to it.. Memory sucks [&o].. Joe has stated that a x470 is working well.. Others are swearing by the 6717/3....

Hoped this helped somewhat..
Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Joe Petro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The prop we had on there was one of our 470 alloy props.
We also like the 7016 and X467 2 blade props so far...

Joe Petro
Old 05-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Outboard Jay

Mark: You've used a brass sleeve to house the flex cable?...and it works? I remember when we substituted steel sleeves on the K&B 3.5 and 7.5...even with lubrication, the sleeves gave out...just about at the apex of the bend...fouled up flex cables and they wore out....K&B went right back to the Teflon sleeves after a while...brass is even softer...Prather grease,eh?...I've had good usage with marine grease..and have run a couple of times with " PUSH AND LUBE"...made in Germany which is a thick grease used for chain saws! ..It looks like a "fat" hypodermic needle about 1 1/2" thick w/ a tapered head that when pushed w/ the thumb under pressure against a larger fitting, emits a thin stream of blue goop into the drive. It comes loaded ready to use at OSH for $6...tried reloading one but the mechanism wouldn't allow it...possibly might get 6 or 7 runs from the tube...? It seems that you could push grease into the drive with a "pressure" applicator that might do away with pulling the shaft after every run. GO GAS OB!! Jay