Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Quickdraw won't start

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Quickdraw won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 05:32 PM
build4less

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quickdraw won't start

I recently purchased a high rev quickdraw off of a buddy of mine. He said it ran great last year, but has not started it yet this season. I went to start it earlier today, but I got nothing. The engine is getting plenty of fuel, but it is other things I am worried about.
1. I took out the spark plug and made contact with the top and side of the motor, and I saw no spark. Does this mean the coil is bad?
2. The pulse fitting from the carb has what looks like fuel in it now. Is that normal?
The carb I am using is a modified 644, with the factory setting on the low and high speed needle, 1.5 turns out on each. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:41 PM
lildude2599

Default RE: Quickdraw won't start

Get a new coil.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:24 PM
quickdraw

Sounds like the coil. Try the red one first. Gap to .012 inch clearance to the flywheel. The red coils are like on/off switch it seems. Sometimes it works and may just quit. Though, just recently we had 2 in the last few months run erratic on the dyno. Switched the red coil out and ran fine again, put the old one on and it stuttered on top end bad. On the carb, the clear pulse holse comming from the engine to the fitting on the carb cover is the pulse hose to activate the fuel pump inside. The carb needles we set here if we had the carb and motor here. If not? The needles will be set at starting points and may need to be adjusted.

Todd
Quickdraw
Old 05-04-2008, 08:01 PM
build4less

The coil that I have now is the red coil. Should I get a new one anyway and try it? If I hold the park plug next to the motor, should I see a spark? Since the clear hose is a pulse hose to activate the fuel pump, I take it that it is ok to have fuel in the line? Is a good starting point with that carb 1 1/2 on each the high and low needle settings? Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 PM
build4less

If I hold the spark plug next to the motor, should I see a spark? Since the clear hose is a pulse hose to activate the fuel pump, I take it that it is ok to have fuel in the line? Is a good starting point with that carb 1 1/2 on each the high and low needle settings?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:23 PM
dicko

drain the fuel out of the pulse line, it will dampen the pulse & reduce the effectiveness of the pump.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Paul M

Get on the phone with Todd with the engine in front of you. Problem solved[)]
Old 05-07-2008, 04:32 AM
MrMikeG

ok, 1 the coils don't go out over night.
2. always try a new plug first, it is the cheapest component of the electrical system.
3. since it was sitting I would guess a stuck ring, what kind of oil was your friend using? Anthing but synthetic could stick a ring. what kind of compression does it have?
4. check the ground to both coils, a bit of corrosion over time (sitting around) will degrade the grounding connection.
5. QD's are notorious for flooding easy and 644 carbs don't help the situation.
Pull the plug, crank it over to clear the fuel, new fuel and after you checked the ground and I bet it will fire!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
quickdraw

ok, 1 the coils don't go out over night.
Yes they do. Had a brand new 35 I was test firing. Fired up and reved it a few times than. Dead. Put new one on ran good, put failed one on and no go. Customer was running his boat and came back into to fill up with gas again. Shut engine off. Tried to restart it and NO GO. Dead coil. Had another guy run motor Saturday, ran fine all day. Gets to pond on Sunday. DEAD. Tried coil off buddies motor. Worked fine. Tried his again, DEAD. Went to local hobby shop that races G62 Zenaohs. Asked him about this. He told me "We got good at doing dead stick landings and Zenaoh will not warranty it to us and we sell their stuff" If you go to races or ask racers. You will even find some of them carry one or more in their toolbox because of failures they have had. It happens. Zenoah will not cover these either.

The spark is real weak and hard to see sometimes. Try checking in a dark or not that well lighted area.

QD's are notorious for flooding easy and 644 carbs don't help the situation.

I would like to know who? The customers who we talk to say they start easier than their Zenaoh. Put finger in carb to choke it. Pull rope till you have fuel on finger tip. Remove finger and pull. Usually takes like 2 to 3 pulls after choked and it fires right up.

On the carb. Do not set the needles till it sounds crisp on the shore. You wil be too lean when it hits the water. 644 start with like 1 3/4 on the low and 1 3/8 on the high. Please note though. These are only starting points and may need to be adjusted. You will see some fuel pulsate back and forth when running. Don't worry about it. It is fine.

If still can not figure out. Please call us.

Todd
Quickdraw
Old 05-10-2008, 12:24 PM
redlinemotors

Make sure the plug is not wet, if its ok and youre getting fuel when you choke the carb it should fire. If is dosent it could be red coil, grey coil, plug. Sometimes the ring will stick and leak off compression but they will normally fire if you put some Corrosion X in the cylinder then try to start. Give Quickdraw a call Todd can help you out.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:03 PM
bonowang

Dear all
I had a QD engine in Taiwan. But I couldn't buy the spare parts from internet. Can anyone let me know where to buy?
Thanks in advance!

Bono Wang