Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Carb return ?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Carb return ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 05:45 PM
jeremy242

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb return ?

I have a weedy motor with the stock carb on it. I am soon going to be switching it to a WB167. I am also going to be running a IV bag tank and i want to know what do i do with the return line as the iv only has one line out of the bag. Do i just block the out line on the carb or do i try and make a return to the bag. Also if i do just block it that means i am unable to use the priming ball right or do i just run a line out the side of the boat and plug it when the carb is primed. Thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 08:48 PM
lildude2599

Default RE: Carb return ?

Fuel bags are good but they get air in the line and shut down your boat. I have one worst thing i've spent money on. I wish i got a tank. The porblem i no of is the fuel is all at one level and you get air in the carb. I pump all the air out every time i run it. Unless you can see all the air pockets you never get all the air out. Tanks are much better and will not dryrot on you like the iv bag will. And a tank you will be able to run the other fuel line from the carb. And i find that tanks have more fuel above the port where the fuel come's out of the tank. Then it pay's off because the carb dosent get air like the iv bag let's it do.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:06 PM
jeremy242

We will see the bag was only 6 bucks
Old 05-11-2008, 09:20 PM
fowlmood77

Plug the return. Keep the outlet as low as possible on the bag so if there is air in there, it will stay up top and not in the fuel line. Dont worry about priming with the bulb. Put a thumb over the inlet, pull slowly a few times to choke it, then run as usual.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Paul M

ORIGINAL: lildude2599

Fuel bags are good but they get air in the line and shut down your boat. I have one worst thing i've spent money on. I wish i got a tank. The porblem i no of is the fuel is all at one level and you get air in the carb. I pump all the air out every time i run it. Unless you can see all the air pockets you never get all the air out. Tanks are much better and will not dryrot on you like the iv bag will. And a tank you will be able to run the other fuel line from the carb. And i find that tanks have more fuel above the port where the fuel come's out of the tank. Then it pay's off because the carb dosent get air like the iv bag let's it do.

Sorry dude, but I would never have another tank. I have been using IV bags for 3 years now and it has eliminated my fuel problems. You have to get the air out though which is not hard. First pull as much of the air out of the bag as you can before you put gas in then if there is any air after fueling, tip the back of the boat up and all the air will run to the tube side of the bag where it can easily be pumped out. If your getting air in the carb you've got leaks or your not getting the air out.

Another big plus is water can;t get into your gas and cause problems.

They don't dry rot either. As long as you leave a little gas in them they will stay pliable.

Cmon, lildude. Give em one more try, you won't go back to tanks if you get the air out.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:56 PM
dicko

I run an IV bag with a carb return in my woody. no problems from me. the new boat will have an IV bag without return. It's hard to see in this pic, I'll try to take some more when I get home tonight. I used an IV bag with 2 drain points. I have a spare that has 3 drain points.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86228.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	948200  
Old 08-07-2008, 12:19 PM
doomracing

lets see if i got this straight. i can basically mount the bag wherever i want? taking balance into account.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:28 PM
dicko

Yep. The best place is right in front of or under the engine if you have room. On my race boat it is directly in font of the engine, in my woody it is next to the engine purely because that was easier & it isn't a race boat, so doesn't mater as much.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:30 PM
doomracing

isn't the heat from the engine a issue? i mean the bag has to get fat as it gets filled. won't it get melted from engine heat? this is a totally new concept for me.

here's a thought. can i set it up like a heli? put a small 2 oz tank between the bag, and carb. when the bag goes dry you would have the little tank to suck some air telling you were almost out of gas. i take it that there is no warning other than run time to tell ya it's time to pit.

i'll be doing more sport running than racing, so witch bag should i get? a 500, or 1000ml bag?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:42 PM
juicr

You can put the bag under the motor with no worries. It won't melt. As far as the return line goes, antenna caps work great for plugging the return.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:45 PM
monsterbrad

What about the primer?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 PM
juicr

Prime it by putting your thumb over the carb and pull it over till you get gas on your thumb. Then ya ready to start. If you have a choke, then choke it, pull it over a few times and take the choke off and start.