Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

rejoin wing halves

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

rejoin wing halves

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 02:42 PM
JMcGarvie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rejoin wing halves

I managed to separate the wing halves on my Right Flyer following a notably ungraceful return to earth. I thought of using a metal rod to rejoin them, similar to the design on the Superstar. Does anyone know what diameter and material the metal rod is on that airplane? Or, maybe have a better idea for solidly rejoining the wing halves?

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2003, 03:05 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Typical diameter for a plane that size would be 3/4". But you need to do more than just install the tube... the tube must fit into tubes that are installed inside the wings. You could just use a plywood brace instead. Either way, there's going to be some surgery involved.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Post Hole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, the metal rod he is refering to is a solid 1/4" chrome plated steel rod about 16" long that runs through holes drilled in the ribs of the SuperStar Select and Avistar trainers. It will add 2-3 oz. of weight to the repaired wing, not counting the epoxy, etc... that will need to be added too.

JM, I agree with Mike about the plywood brace, that and epoxy is what I have used in the past. (much lighter than steel rod and easier to set up than a wing tube) Just Dremel™ a slot next to the spar in the root rib on both wing halves and epoxy it all together, with epoxy on the root rib facings as well. Epoxy one side first and let it cure, then epoxy the other side and the root ribs, then join and tape. A 1" strip of light fiberglass or similar, wrapped around the wing joint and epoxied or CA'd into place will help reinforce it without adding a lot of weight.

I need to add, though it should go without saying, that you should make sure everything fits and aligns, without slop, before epoxying anything. Double check for dihedral during the eopxy phase as well and brace the wing so nothing moves as it cures.

Hope this helps,