Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

difference servo/Reciever/esc/batts%radio help suggestions for new person

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

difference servo/Reciever/esc/batts%radio help suggestions for new person

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Takonci

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference servo/Reciever/esc/batts%radio help suggestions for new person

If I plan to get a car-kit...I see that requirements are 2channel Radios...but then I see a need for servos?/recievers?/esc? ...im curious as what these are but do know the fact as they control the vehicle....some im wondering what these parts exactly do? and any recommendations for decent entry-level aftermarket radios?

on a side not also..what is the difference of LiPo vs NiCad?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:26 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: difference servo/Reciever/esc/batts%radio help suggestions for new person

The radio system consists of a transmitter and receiver. The transmitter is your hand held controller, and the receiver is the box attached to the antenna on the car which receives your inputs. Servos are small gear motors that physically actuate things like steering, gear changing in some vehicles, and throttle control in nitro or gas vehicles.

The ESC (electronic speed controller) is used only in electric vehicles. Think of it as the throttle - it is a solid state FET based circuit that varies voltage to the motor, allowing you to control it's speed. It plugs into the receiver the same way a throttle servo would plug into the receiver. A throttle servo would physically actuate the carburetor on a nitro or gas engine, controlling the speed.

The receiver distributes power to servos - so on a nitro or gas vehicle you generally have a 6v battery pack plugged into the receiver, which provides power to the receiver itself and any attached servos.

In an electric vehicle, you don't have this 6 volt battery. You have a 7.2 (or higher) volt battery capable of providing power to the motor. Because of the high current involved, the ESC handles this battery directly. In order to power your receiver and steering servo, the ESC uses a what is called a battery elimination circuit (eliminating the 6v receiver/servo battery), and regulates the main battery voltage down to 6 for those electronics.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Takonci

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: difference servo/Reciever/esc/batts%radio help suggestions for new person

ok , but im stil a little confused as where things go(such as radio/chassis ), considering I had gotten a RTR kit....

Radio system - Receiver

Chassis - ESC , Servo

^
|
|
placement of these items?

I wont be running gas/nitro..since fuel is hard to come by from where I live

Old 05-28-2008, 11:41 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The receiver is on the car, along with the ESC, battery, servos, etc.

All you have in hand is the transmitter, transmitting TO the receiver, and therefore the car.