Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

"blipping?"

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Bluebrew
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "blipping?"

Went to pick up some parts I ordered from a hobby shop that I don't go to much due to the distance.It was a saturday, and when I got there, there was racing going on out back on the nice off-road track the shop maintains(PitStop Hobby, Mount Joy PA...Good folks). Decided to watch the race for a bit, they were running electric B4s and such. Looked fun, good racing and I was impressed. They finished up the heat so I went inside to get what I needed.
When I came out they were starting the nitro MTs...Oh yeah...I gotta stick around and watch this because i'm a nitro fanatic. Well once the race was underway instead of the pleasing scream of nitro power there was this horribly annoying "blipping" of throttles! There was like 10 racers blipping like 50 times a lap. I left!
Is this really the most efficient method of racing? Seems to me smooth and steady would be the winning stratedgy. But I've never raced on a track like that so I have no idea.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: "blipping?"

Its not how I drive, but it seems to be a popular way. I agree it sounds horrible, I want to hear that 35k rpm scream.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:15 AM
JB COMP

I drive like that some times, like my buggy I can drive it hard and get around the track fast, but my CRT I need to be smoother on the throttle.

On MT since they have a tranny and slippers and stuff blipping the throttle is useless. So it depends on what you drive and how you have your car set-up, I think "blipping" on a buggy is just as fast, but not on a truggy.

and I run on a tight track where its only about 8' wide and its gets tight in the turns and stuff, and with a big truggy you have to do some sliding to get around the turns fast. So I'll blip the throttle in the turns to get my CRT around some times.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:38 AM
RCtruckRacer

It has to do with the power curve in our nitro engines. Typically, you have to get the RPM's up to at least 1/2 throttle to get good power out of our mills. However, going from zero to this point can also spin out the tires, so blipping into this range gets the power to the ground without causing a spin out. Often, the higher the quality of engine, the wider the power curve is. Blipping becomes much less necessary when running one of these mills.

Slippers do help a little in this department, but when I'm driving my MT on a very technical track I find myself driving in this style much more than on a wide open flowing track. Throttle control is one of the toughest things to learn.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Nitro Fumes

ORIGINAL: RCtruckRacer

It has to do with the power curve in our nitro engines. Typically, you have to get the RPM's up to at least 1/2 throttle to get good power out of our mills. However, going from zero to this point can also spin out the tires, so blipping into this range gets the power to the ground without causing a spin out. Often, the higher the quality of engine, the wider the power curve is. Blipping becomes much less necessary when running one of these mills.

Slippers do help a little in this department, but when I'm driving my MT on a very technical track I find myself driving in this style much more than on a wide open flowing track. Throttle control is one of the toughest things to learn.
In a sense its kind of like the way they had to control the throttle on WWI airplanes. They had no real throttle on those rotary engines. They would just cut the igition on and off to blip them too. But I drive my R/C car as smooth as I can. It does require some blipping in the turns but not so much on the straights. Plus I have too much power for the small track I race my Losi XXX-NT AD2 on. I also have have to blip when I bash with my HPI Baja B5. Those cars don't have slipper clutches and the terrain I run on is GA red dust as fine as talcum powder. Its hard to get good bite on that stuff. But I sure get great power slides when I blip it right. I do know how to control a car because I've always been a racer.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Bluebrew

Interesting. This was the first time I've seen nitros race. It was MTs and mostly Revos. Hadn't even considered the slippers. That to me makes that style of throttle contol even more curious.
The need for a nitro to "spool-up" makes sense. That track looked pretty "blue" that day so I suppose a loser surface wouldn't require so much blipping? Quess it's something I'd have to try myself to really understand.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Wratherax

*** is blipping?

Edit: I can't write w t f .... wow...
Old 05-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Nitro Fumes

ORIGINAL: Bluebrew

Interesting. This was the first time I've seen nitros race. It was MTs and mostly Revos. Hadn't even considered the slippers. That to me makes that style of throttle contol even more curious.
The need for a nitro to "spool-up" makes sense. That track looked pretty "blue" that day so I suppose a loser surface wouldn't require so much blipping? Quess it's something I'd have to try myself to really understand.
In the 80's I used to race on road nitro. Those cars have high traction, 4WD and 2-speeds. On the staightaways you could just punch the throttle wide open, but when it came to running through the turns, especially the big sweeper turns, we always blipped the throttle to get the right balance of trailing throttle oversteer. In fact that is just why you do blip it in the turns. And those cars have no slipper clutches either.

In fact I noticed more so especially when I drive my Baja. That dust in low bite and loose. But the Baja will dig in the front wheels when I get off the throttle in the turn. It will flip if I get off the throttle too much. But when I blip I get the right balance and do these great power slides through the turns. Here's a link to a You tube video of me running the Baja, no music in the back ground, just the engine. Watch the way I power slide and listen to the throttle blip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwJKd3ALVjg
Old 05-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Bluebrew

Thanks for the vid Fumes. I'm on dial-up so I only watched about 1/3 of it but I got the idea. Came to realize I do the same thing and never realised it.
The farmer out back cuts alfalfa often and I'll run my 5B on that snotty fresh cut field. Yep, blipping thru a power slide but if I lift too quick, she's gonna tumble.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:01 PM
slayerphonics

Most racers are blippers from what I see, also myself,

Its very effective at maintaining traction and control of your truck,
Old 05-30-2008, 02:59 PM
ProRCRacer88

I do it weather running on the track or running anywhere else. My truggy is over powered with the .28 for the most part so blipping the throttle is a must so i dont spin the tires too much. But going around some of the high speed turns, i usually roll the throttle so i can easily adjust if my truck starts to oversteer or understeer, also roll it on the straightaway. Other than that im tapping the trigger everywhere else.

It all depends on the vehichle and the setup on if blipping would be the effective way to drive the car/truck.