Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

"SIKK" Engines

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

"SIKK" Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:41 PM
V8Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "SIKK" Engines

I have broken a couple of SIKK cylinders and was wondering how many others have had the same problem. I want to know how widespread the problem is and if others would benefit from a cure, or if there already is a cure that I don't know about.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 05-30-2008, 02:20 PM
RhesusMinus

Default RE: "SIKK" Engines

I have broken two 25.4cc and one 27cc. All engines were modded. I did try with a copper gasket, and longer screws with washers etc, the cylinder still cracked.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:12 PM
glennb2006

We have done 29 hours hard running on a 27cc 2 bolt stock so far with no problems other than one of the rubber mounts failing, we replaced the lot with an upgrade.

It is now starting to loosen up at last. Been a while coming.

Quite a good engine - and really cheap.

Glenn
Old 05-31-2008, 12:13 AM
Scott Schneider

Broke 2 of the 25.4 cc jugs, blown out a half dozen gaskets .... Sold the engine
Old 05-31-2008, 10:04 AM
MrMikeG

The car guys make them a 4 bolt with a kit from FG racing.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:50 AM
V8Rider

RhesusMinus
You said you tried longer screws with washers. How much longer were the screws? Did they bolt through the water cooling cap to hold the cylinder down from the top? I was wondering because I have done this. Now I'm trying to get some run time on the engine to see how well it holds up. So far, so good. The problem is some of these cylinders break and some don't regardless if they are modified or stock. Others like GlenB are having good luck and not breaking at all. Just doesn't make sense. Looking for the answer!!!!!!!!
Rick
Old 06-02-2008, 07:57 AM
V8Rider

MrMikeG
I am not familiar with the kit you mentioned. Does the kit provide a different cylinder and different engine cases because the stock Sikk marine cases don't have a provision to tap into to add two bolts?
Rick
Old 06-03-2008, 03:51 PM
RhesusMinus

I used 5mm longer bolts than stock, and some large washers, to prevent the bolts from digging into the cylinder. If one of the bolts loose its tension, the cylinder will flex and break, this is probably what happened with my first cylinder.On the other two, I also loctited the screws in place, and the bolts was still tight after the cylinders cracked. I will not give it another try!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 PM
glennb2006

Just out of interest, what petrol / oil ratio were the engines running on that failed - this clearly goes to failed cylinder owners only.

Glenn
Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Scott Schneider

ORIGINAL: glennb2006

Just out of interest, what petrol / oil ratio were the engines running on that failed - this clearly goes to failed cylinder owners only.

* Also stated:
I used 5mm longer bolts than stock, and some large washers, to prevent the bolts from digging into the cylinder. If one of the bolts loose its tension, the cylinder will flex and break, this is probably what happened with my first cylinder.On the other two, I also loctited the screws in place, and the bolts was still tight after the cylinders cracked. I will not give it another try!!!!!!!

Glenn

Ran mine on 7 ounces oil to the gallon (20:1)

longer bolts with bigger washers did help the "loosening bolt issues" .... But due to cylinder flex between the 2 bolts, gaskets still failed and cylinders still broke !!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40704.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	963338  
Old 06-04-2008, 07:00 AM
V8Rider

I use Honda HP-2 Synthetic oil about 6 to 7 ounces per gallon. I don't think oil is the issue as the engines always have a good coating of oil when they come apart. No scored pistons or anything like that. Just broken cylinders and they all seem to break like the one pictured. Always at the front left corner and under the exhaust port.
Rick
Old 06-04-2008, 08:05 AM
RhesusMinus

I use 6% oil, Mobil 1 racing or Motul 800.