Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do you Pre-Heat your Engine before every start?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, Every Time
9.26%
No, Never
57.41%
Sometimes
33.33%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Do you Pre-Heat your Engine before every start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:05 PM
experimental_pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you Pre-Heat your Engine before every start?

I was just wondering what everyone does regarding pre-heating their engine with a heat gun or hair dryer, before starting it up?

Does Not warming it up cause extra wear and tear, reducing engine life?

I warm it up every time, because it makes it easier to start and I don't want to cause any undue wear.
But, say you've taken your truck out with you and do not have access to a heat gun/hair dryer. Is it bad to start it without preheating?
Old 06-02-2008, 05:47 PM
GYNAIKAS

Default RE: Do you Pre-Heat your Engine before every start?

Just let it run at idle for 1minute and it's more than ok.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:50 PM
jaketrouble

i would say it depends how hot is it outside.. in both of my trucks i do not pre heat and they fire right up within a few seconds.. less then a minute.. i have a friend that has a hair dryer that plugs into a cigarette lighter in his car.. but i could probably breath warmer air then that thing does.. he also told me that he will sometimes turn the heater on in his car and hold the truck up to that.

i am by no means an expert at this.. if fact i just started this hobby about a month ago.. but from my experience i found that once the truck was broke in that it starts just fine with out pre heating.. now when it gets a little colder out like in the low 70's or colder then i will pre heat..

but that's just me.. if i am wrong please tell me someone..
Old 06-02-2008, 06:13 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Depends,

Newer engines, Yes, dending on how difficult to tug the pull start. And during winter, just makes it easier to start.

Sometimes I just put a drop or two of RAO before starting, if I forgot to put some last time it was used just for lubrication.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:42 PM
ahawk65
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Newer engines, Yes, dending on how difficult to tug the pull start. And during winter, just makes it easier to start.
Exactly what I do. Newer engines, almost always. Ones I have that have "been around the block" a bit, not every time, just sometimes when it is cold and the starter box is having trouble turning it over.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:51 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

The only time I've ever pre-heated my engine was many years ago when I owned a Cox .049. Those things pretty much needed to be pre-heated just to get them started. Otherwise I've never pre-heated my engines and never noticed any signs of premature wear.

I think, at least in theory, it could help prolong engine life though at the cost of extra hassle each time you want to start your engine. Also it's kind of hard to do if you run your car/truck at the local park or beach.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Nick2618

I never preheat. On cen nemesis motor .46 i somtimes have to use a sock around the pullstarter handle to aviod the blisters after just a few pulls when cold. Other then that i dont really see a need to preheat...
Old 06-02-2008, 10:12 PM
eddyeddy

When I arrive at the parking lot, I open the car hood, put the trucks over the engine block and close the hood to warm them.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Medrivfast

Don't flame me for where i live. But here in So Ca i never have to worry about it being cold outside.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I voted yes. I always preheat the engine before I dare start it. Preheating is critical when the engine is brand new and you are about to start it for the first time. Preheating teh engin all the way up until when it is fully boken in is a must from my opinion.

Now, once my engines are well past fully broken in (closer to the end of their life), I dont bother with preheating anymore unless the surrounding outside temps are really cold.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:35 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only if it puts up a fight and doesn't want to start or stay running.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:23 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: Medrivfast

Don't flame me for where i live. But here in So Ca i never have to worry about it being cold outside.
uneess ya me[>:], if i had an engine and it was cold i would do it, other than that my friend does'nt do it and his engine is fine (but then agan, were n sunny socal )
Old 06-03-2008, 05:24 AM
Nitro Fumes

I never heard of anyone preheating an engine before. And I've never seen anyone do it either. And its not necessary. Run some warm up laps.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't pre-heat, as in "apply localized heat", but in cold weather, I either start the vehicle indoors, or "immediately" once it's outdoors. They can be a pain to start when cold.

Regardless, I just take it easy for the first few minutes until it is warmed up. I don't just let it idle, but no full throttle for the first few minutes.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:03 PM
experimental_pilot

Thanks for all the input! I won't worry about heating it up every time anymore.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:24 PM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: Nitro Fumes

I never heard of anyone preheating an engine before. And I've never seen anyone do it either. And its not necessary. Run some warm up laps.
You must just be getting into nitro,

People preheat there motors because on high dollar motors the pinch is pretty nasty, and to prevent damage to the rod and other things its preheated, but its usually done during the break in period or on cold days or nights.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:30 PM
The Hedgehog

Maybe in the winter I start my engine immediatly taking it out of the house, other than that never have never will, my engines have been lasting long too.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Nitro Fumes

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

People preheat there motors because on high dollar motors the pinch is pretty nasty, and to prevent damage to the rod and other things its preheated, but its usually done during the break in period or on cold days or nights.
Yeah, I just got into it in 1983 racing 1/8 on road nitro. I've never seen anyone preheat and engine.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

I always preheat my new engines , especially the high dollar engines . Preheating them isn`t to get the engines warmed up like when someone mentioned just make a few warm up laps . Preheating is to loosen up the piston so it`s easier to start [as some new engines won`t unless you do so] , and to ease the tension the rod and crank when first starting . Many high dollar engines have more pinch and need to be preheated to start .
Old 06-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Yeah, I just got into it in 1983 racing 1/8 on road nitro. I've never seen anyone preheat and engine.

1983 ??

According to your profile you got into RC 14 years ago , which would be in 1994 . [img][/img]

Old 06-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Nitro Fumes

ORIGINAL: Dawman

1983 ??

According to your profile you got into RC 14 years ago , which would be in 1994 . [img][/img]

Did you read the blog? It says '83. I haven't been in it steady from '83 but I have over 14 yrs experience in the hobby. And I have never seen anyone preheat an engine. In fact I never heard of anyone doing until I read this post.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:02 PM
ProStreetCamaro

I have actually never pre heated an engine before I started it and that includes during break in. I have also NEVER had an engine last less than 10 gallons and most last 13+ gallons. So much for the pre heating thing.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:33 PM
dsales

Same here, I never preheat and my engines last around 15 gallons but by then they still work but have lost too much performance so I scrap them. How come some people engines only last around 4 gallons and they're proud of it lasting so long
Old 06-07-2008, 06:46 PM
experimental_pilot

This is really interesting. I hope my engine's last 15 gallons!
Old 06-07-2008, 07:04 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Being in that Georgia heat, your engine might be all loosened up enough to start very easily. Also, 14 years ago or 1983 or whatever, most engine back then were nickle and the engine were not designed with as tight a pinch as modern chrome plated sleeves (I believe the fear was nickle will peel off where chrome will not). I'm sure you have see many chrome plated sleeves that have a high pinch, but I find it very hard to believe you have never seen anyone preheat an engine, especially if it is brand new or not yet fully broken in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.