Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Exceed R/Cs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
xxCARLOSxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exceed R/Cs?

hey guys, i had a nitro car for a while but i sold it recently and i was interested in buying a nice electric car... what would you guys recommend? would ([link]http://www.nitrorcx.com/drift-star-rtr-electric-.html[/link]) this be any good to start with? mybe i can upgrade later but it seems like a nice deal

Ps. im trying not to go over $200

THNX IN ADVANCE!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:12 PM
spartan117

Default RE: Exceed R/Cs?

I wouldn't personaly. They are cheap, but do not offer the upgrade capability of other cars. I would recommend a tamiya TA-05 based kit. The tamiya kits are relatively cheap and offer awesome handling and upgrade ability.

If you are looking for something RTR, then I would recommend the Hot Bodies Cyclone R. I own the Andy Moore Edition kit and it handles awesome. So I would assume the S handles relatively similar. The Cyclone S is probably the best handling RTR out there.

I would try to avoid getting sucked into a cheap money pit,
Spartan117
Old 06-02-2008, 10:07 PM
xxCARLOSxx

Hmmm... The TA05 looks nice and in towerhobbies.com u can make your own "RTR" combos but i was wondering... wats the difference between the normal TA05, TA05-R, and the TA05-IFS ?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:25 PM
spartan117

The TA-05R and TA-05IFS R have alot of aluminum upgrades and I would highly recommend them. The normal TA-05 kits are all plastic. For the money I would get the TA-05 R models.

I personally would choose the TA-05IFS R. The IFS stands for Inboard Front Shock. It means the front shocks lay down in the chassis like an f1 car. THis permits use of bodies with lower front ends. The IFS then allows the use of more aerodynamic bodies. The IFS and regular R model have no handling differences other than the body they can use.

Good Luck,
Spartan117
Old 06-03-2008, 12:03 AM
xxCARLOSxx

ya that sounds good cuz the plastic ones will break and ill waste the money on the aluminum parts eventually, its just that it costs like $260 and thats not even including the controller or batteries...idk ill see if i save up sum money and just buy the TA05 R

wat battery should i get if i buy this kit? i dont want a LiPo cuz then ill have to buy the expensive charger[:'(]
Old 06-03-2008, 12:28 AM
ludeman

Hey xxCARLOSxx I have the Himoto Truggy version of that car and it kicks butt. Get one and you will still have money for the brushless system. They have sweet steel diffs and input gears and can really take the power. The Himoto's come with bearings the exceed has bushings but you could put a set in pretty cheap.

If you think about it every time you order replacement parts online you will spend about as much as this whole car!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:27 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I too personally would not recommend it, I too would recommend Tamiya or even Associeated; they both have RTRs that aer at, a little over, and even under $200 beginner RCs.

If you do get the Exceed, you can find other parts to hop it up since the parts are for the most part directly interchangeable with Redcat and most Himoto RCs. You can for example, buy Himoto ball bearings to replace the bushings or whatever. All of these RCs (except for a few newer Himoto RCs) are 100 interchangeable since all of these companies resell HSP cars. If you want, you can order from china and buy the various HSP options by skipping the reseller and buying from HSP themselves, but you would have to do some serious hunting of those HSP parts.

I should mention though that not all parts from Himoto might be interchangable with your Exceed car, especially if the parts are maent to go on one of Himoto's MegaP RCs. The MegaP RCs are Himoto's own design (not bought from HSP) and I do not know if any of the MegaP parts will fit any of the other HSP reseller RCs (Redcat or Exceed).
Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 AM
The Mad Modder

Definitely go with a Tamiya. I've had Tamiya cars for almost 10 years and not broken a single part on any of them(besides an esc, because I drove around in in snow with it). I know of people who have Tamiyas that they bought in the 80's and they still run well.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:52 AM
xxCARLOSxx

i was price hunting around in google and i found a ta05 IFS-R for only $200

also my frend is selling me a traxxas motor that he has and a Integy 6C 7.2V 3600mAh for only $30, would the battery be good or do i need something better?
Old 06-03-2008, 11:55 AM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

Since you say you have been previously involved in the hobby as well as having nitro car experience I find it puzzling that you would ask about a cheap no-name brand and ask if it is any good as well as putting such a low price on your introduction to electric.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:58 AM
xxCARLOSxx

well im only 16 so i dont have much cash... and im not that experienced, i had the nitro car for a couple of months and it got messed up so i just sold it. i was looking at the exceed car cuz my friend told me about the website but now i see that they suck (thats why i bothered asking) .
Old 06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
spartan117

Good idea to steer clear of the exceed. I would really recommend that IFS-R. As Mad Modder said, you simply can't go wrong with tamiya. I would avoid the traxxas Titan 12 turn motor, if that is the one you are looking at. The motor is very long and may not fit. It is also close endbell. I would say the kit, battery, and motor are something you should never skimp on.

Have Fun,
Spartan117
Old 06-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Big Z

ORIGINAL: spartan117

Good idea to steer clear of the exceed. I would really recommend that IFS-R. As Mad Modder said, you simply can't go wrong with tamiya. I would avoid the traxxas Titan 12 turn motor, if that is the one you are looking at. The motor is very long and may not fit. It is also close endbell. I would say the kit, battery, and motor are something you should never skimp on.

Have Fun,
Spartan117

what most people dont realise is that the Himoto/Exceed/Redcat/Haiboxing trucks/cars are based on the Tamiya TL-01 chassis and the parts are actually interchangeable between the tamiya and H/E/R/H trucks/cars... The part numbers are usually the exact same as well. If you check out the threads about those other trucks you can read the testaments everyone makes about them being compatible with the TL-01 Tamiya parts.... so upgrades and replacement parts arent as scarce as you are being led to believe.

Choose whichever vehicle you would like, I just want to make sure your information on both sides is clear/correct
Old 06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: rckt_mtrspts

I find it puzzling that you would ask about a cheap no-name brand and ask if it is any good as well as putting such a low price on your introduction to electric.
You're lucky that there aren't as many fanboys for exceed as there are for redcat or himoto. You'd have them all over you by now.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Big Z

what most people dont realise is that the Himoto/Exceed/Redcat/Haiboxing trucks/cars are based on the Tamiya TL-01 chassis and the parts are actually interchangeable between the tamiya and H/E/R/H trucks/cars... The part numbers are usually the exact same as well. If you check out the threads about those other trucks you can read the testaments everyone makes about them being compatible with the TL-01 Tamiya parts.... so upgrades and replacement parts arent as scarce as you are being led to believe.

Choose whichever vehicle you would like, I just want to make sure your information on both sides is clear/correct
Yet why not start out with a good quality original rather than a low quality copy? BTW, Redcat, Exceed, and Himoto didn't copy the tl01. Haiboxing, HBX and their alternate names did.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:43 PM
The Mad Modder

How much money are you willing to spend on the car, Carlos?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:58 PM
xxCARLOSxx

i guess imma spend like $300 on everything bcuz i found the car kit online for $200 and i gotta buy the controller and the battery and the reciever and everything...

anyways, is that battery that my friend is selling me good or should i get sumthing else? the battery itself is $40 and hes throwing in the traxxas motor (i probably wont even use it but hey if its free ill take it)

oh, i almost forgot. what tools do i need to assemble the kit?
Old 06-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Big Z

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Big Z

Yet why not start out with a good quality original rather than a low quality copy? BTW, Redcat, Exceed, and Himoto didn't copy the tl01. Haiboxing, HBX and their alternate names did.
sorry you are right it seems the redcat/himoto/exceed trucks dont use the TL-01
Old 06-03-2008, 07:31 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Exceed, Redcat, and Himoto are all resellers of HSP RCs. They do not make any their own RCs. The exception is Himoto's MegaP RCs, Himoto, from what I understand, designed the MegaP RCs are their own. Hopefully, they are weening themselves from HSP and going to be their own original brand and no longer be a reseller.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:29 PM
im2fst4u

hey xxCarlosxx you can get parts and upgrades for the exceed cars just go to http://www.exceedrc.com/ they have all the spare parts you need and aluminum and carbon fiber pieces you can buy, if you cna't see them it shows the upgrades in the manual you get with the car
Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 PM
xxCARLOSxx

nah, i decided to go with the TA05 IFS-R cuz it already comes with many aluminum parts so i dont even have to upgrade it and i can build it myself. ( i luv building stuff)
can u guys answer my other questions plz?

What tools do i need to build the kit?

My frend is selling me an integy 6c 3600 mah battery and a traxxas motor for only $30, should i buy that or should i buy another battery ?
Old 06-03-2008, 11:41 PM
spartan117

I believe to build it you will need at least a 1.5mm and 2mm hex wrench, some blue loctite, a 3m wrench, and some tire glue.

Think that should get you started,
Spartan117
Old 06-04-2008, 12:36 AM
xxCARLOSxx

what about the battery?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:40 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: xxCARLOSxx

nah, i decided to go with the TA05 IFS-R cuz it already comes with many aluminum parts so i dont even have to upgrade it and i can build it myself. ( i luv building stuff)
can u guys answer my other questions plz?

What tools do i need to build the kit?

My frend is selling me an integy 6c 3600 mah battery and a traxxas motor for only $30, should i buy that or should i buy another battery ?
Tamiya's recommended tools: hobby knife(Xacto type), scissors, needle/long nose pliers, side cutters, tweezers(unless you are good with very small objects), and #0 and #1 philips screw drivers.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:28 AM
xxCARLOSxx

i probably got all those... i just need to buy glue for the tires

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.