Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

A-10 Question for A10flyer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

A-10 Question for A10flyer

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 09:26 PM
khart2000
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-10 Question for A10flyer

I purchased a set of plans from Josh Harel. I layed them out on the dining room floor and watched my wife freek! So I have gone to the drawing board scaled down the A-10 to 89 inched long (At least we are speaking now.. ) I have converted it to a N/AW 2 seat version. I laike the way Deans A-10 can be broken down for travel. Unfortunately a 2-seater takes up this space. Do you think this could be achieved at the tail? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

khart2000
Old 05-10-2003, 12:34 AM
Couch-pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the same plans. I haven't started building yet, so I can only advise on reading the print. Going from 118" to 89" isn't much of a size drop - buy her something NICE, and build it full size.(I'm still married...) and I'm not going to break my fuse at the nose for the reasoning of cg. If you read (and I can't remember on which sheet) the plane will come out tail heavy. Now look at the radio and equipment placement with regards to the broken off nose. You will already be "towing" this thing around, so an extra 20-30" really isn't going to be a hassle. If left with a 1-piece fuse, you can now jam all your stuff way up in the nose and have no balance problems! I never add weight to balance a model - there is always a way to avoid it unless you're using cement for glue....

If you absolutely have to downsize (you obviously DIDN'T buy something NICE enough...) then go for George Miller's plan 87" span - 2 d/f 45's - 60's - 90's - whatever. I think Mike Beaulieu still makes blueprints - not sure of how to get hold of him, somewhere in NY?

It's a very nice plan. I just think it would be a shame to have Josh's plan and NOT build it that size.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:13 AM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

I don't see why not. The worst loads are between the engines and nose gear. 89 " span or length? I assume span. There was one at Superman a few years back about that size.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:22 PM
khart2000
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for the reply guys. All joking aside the reason I went down to 89 inches (length) was weight. Originally I had two Picco .80 df engines. Now I have two OS .91 and Dynamax Fans. Because I went to a two seat version I felt I was adding more weight with the additional cockpit and two pilots. I felt the Lassek design was at its max weight for that power.

khart2000
Old 05-29-2003, 01:28 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I just bought the lassik plans. Thinking about reducing it to about 100" or so. I have a couple of dynamax fans with os .91's to put in it. The guys at a new club I joined a couple of weeks ago really like the Lassik design and said to just reduce it's size since I'm looking for something a little more stand up and bark type of performance.
Edwin
Old 05-29-2003, 04:19 PM
realflight

Where can I get a set of these plans? Does Josh have a web site? What about links to sites with other sizes of A-10s? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:16 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

He has no site. He is known here as A10FLYER. Could send a pm.
He responds to his email and keeps you up to date. No complaints.
Edwin