Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

masking paint

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

masking paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 11:42 PM
redford-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default masking paint

Any tips on masking for spray painting? I happen to be painting on Solartex, but would be interested in masking tips in general. Is there a particular brand or type of tape that's best? And, what about liquid masking?
Old 05-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

Default masking paint

Redford, I use a combination of low tack masking tape (painters tape found at Lowes, blue or purple in color) Foto Frisket film, low tack transparent adhesion film that should be found where they sell airbrushes, Bob Dively Liquid masking film, and have also used post it notes, manilla folders, thin cardboard, or anything else I could find in a pinch that I cut cut to make a mask. If you are doing a large area with spray can, you can tape the edges with the masking tape, then use newspaper to mask off large areas.Just make sure all there are no openings in the mask, it is amazing where overspray can get to.

Warren
Old 05-10-2003, 12:36 AM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default masking paint

3M makes several fine line masking tapes (under the Scotch name) that are the best IMO. They're used for defining the edge between colors, then you cover the rest of the area you don't want painted with newspaper and regular low-tack masking tape. They work real good for curves and make a nice sharp line with no bleeding. I've had problems with paint bleeding through newspaper before and came across a product from coast airbrush called Automask. It's essentially low-tack masking tape that's available in 6" or 12" widths. Excellent stuff, no bleeding, quickly covers large areas and really low-tack.

I can't say for certain how either of these will work on solartex, but they work great on smooth surfaces.

Ben
Old 05-10-2003, 01:09 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default masking paint

When I used to use dope, after masking brush on a bead of clear dope along the edge of the mask. It would bleed under but wouldn't show yet seal the edge.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:47 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Default Solartex and masking

I have painted Solartex using clear scotch type tape. Solartex has the cloth look and the clear tape makes it easy to see any air pockets in the tape. I don't remember the paint I used but I was able to get a nice sharp line of paint. I removed the tape before the paint was completely dry. Best to try a test piece before you attempt your final finish.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:28 AM
Ralph V

Default Painting fabric covering

A trick I use when painting on fabric covering, to keep the
paint from bleeding under the masking tape. I apply a coat
of clear on the edge of the taped area, the clear seals itself
to the tape, then I apply the color, and no bleeding under the
tape, and a nice crisp edge.

Hope this helps
Ralph V
Old 05-10-2003, 11:30 AM
CafeenMan

Default masking paint

if you paint on a non-porous surface and burnish the tape down well, bleeding won't be a problem unless the paints disolve each other (lacquer or dope). For enamel type paints you can skip that step.

Also, I use electrical tape for masking the line and then use cheap tape and paper to cover the rest. If you use an enamel, pull the tape immediately after painting and the edge will round over intead of leaving a hard ridge.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:06 PM
redford-RCU

Default masking paint

I notice no one has mentioned liquid masking. Is that stuff any good? How is it best used?
Old 05-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Ralph V

Default Liquid mask

Liquid can be very messy. It's mostly user to protect areas from
over spray. Usually it's brushed on, when you are done it has to
be washed off (soap & water) I have used it on automotive &
RC car applications, didn't like it, and wouldn't recomend it for
use on model aircraft (when wood gets wet it warps).
I like to use masking tape, and paper, if your worried about bleed through on the paper use a piece of wax paper, or
saran wrap under the paper, thats what I do.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Ralph V
Old 05-10-2003, 04:05 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default masking paint

I'm with bdphil.

Scotch "Fine Line" tape is by far the best. I don't know how well it will work on a fabric, but for cowls, canopies, and other non-porous surfaces, it's second to none
Old 05-10-2003, 07:27 PM
CafeenMan

Default masking paint

Liquid is usually used for difficult to mask items such as some framed canopies or insignia. I wouldn't use it if I could avoid it.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:28 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default masking paint

I've used LMF for a large variety of projects....but all have been over balsa or fiberglassed balsa - and love the stuff!

Overspray is a problem which can be easily overcome. Also, spraying it on is MUCH better than brushing it on...and thicker the better.

Leaves a nice clear sharp line. NO bleed.....

Jerry