Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Fuel Oil Ratio

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Fuel Oil Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:25 AM
mkspeed600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Oil Ratio

I am running a Z26 motor that has been ported and have had a lightened CNC piston. What fuel oil ratio should I run? I heave read that I should run anywhere from premium in a 3oz to one gal of fuel to 1 oz of oil to one gal of fuel. Please point me in the right direction. thanks.

I almost forgot, I remember reading in the forums somewhere I can send my zenoah to get it worked on. What is the contact name on that again?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:35 AM
wayneuk01

Default RE: Fuel Oil Ratio

CHOICE'S
[link=http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=BgoejCWZOSPPeBqW4QIDv5JgKp8nlX6fakJgB hejVkAjAuAIIABABGAE4AFCc4-5_YLuuroPQCqABvamz_gPIAQGAAgHZA6IEutPK3wa0&sig=AGi Wqtx8g5TSwsVnNszy6GQvc9u9tEugOg&q=http://www.bonzisports.com]BONZI SPORTS[/link]

[link=http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/zenoahmarineengines.htm]PRESTWICH MODELS ENGLAND FOR SOME ZEN 7 ACTION[/link]

[link=http://www.cc-racingengines.com/]CC RACING[/link]

[link=http://www.redlinemotors.us/]REDLINE [/link]

IAM SURE THERES PLENTY MORE

Old 06-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Dan S

ORIGINAL: mkspeed600

I am running a Z26 motor that has been ported and have had a lightened CNC piston. What fuel oil ratio should I run? I heave read that I should run anywhere from premium in a 3oz to one gal of fuel to 1 oz of oil to one gal of fuel. Please point me in the right direction. thanks.

I almost forgot, I remember reading in the forums somewhere I can send my zenoah to get it worked on. What is the contact name on that again?
8oz per 1 Gallon. (regular 87 octane).

Dan.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:35 AM
rosecrafts

Go to www.whobbies.com

He has what oil to use and why, if you go to Tony's tips. I have a 6 hp mod and use 6 0z. per gal 87 octane. Amsoil Prof. Sabre 100-1 oil. He mods with his dyno and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg

Old 06-10-2008, 05:05 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

i personally have always run my motors at 32-1 too 40-1 with Synth oils of choice .. any motor bike shop will help you with a good oil
heres a good giude converter for you ..
http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html
Old 06-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

8oz of QUALITY 2 stroke oil per 1 Gallon. (regular 87 octane or whitegas).

World records have been set with that formula - why risk it running any less??
Old 06-10-2008, 08:59 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah every gas boat racer I have ever talked to or chatted with has said 8 oz. synthetic oil per gallon of gas........Thats what I use, seems to work good! Never had a problem....Plus, I never worry about having enough oil in the gas....

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

For the metric people. What ratio is that? [8D]
Old 06-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Dan S

that would be 237 milliliter (8oz US) to 3.78 liters (1 US gallon) of gas.

Dan.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:03 AM
jacob711

16:1, 63ml of oil to 1L of petrol
Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 AM
MrMikeG

I use 20:1 good synthetic oil, Klotz works good, smells good, makes em wonder.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than the anecdotal evidence of what people are doing is there any actual testing that has been done to demonstrate that boats require such low oil to gas ratios??

It seems to me that we are using these ratios because those are the ratios we use. But I am curious if it has been demonstrated that higher ratios (50:1, 100:1) will either damage the engine or cause it to produce less power.

For the record I run 7 ounces per gallon (18:1) of Amsoil Dominator (made to be used at 50:1). Seems to work fine. Why do I do that? Because everyone told me that everyone else uses somewhere between 32:1 and 12:1.

It appears that the primary reason for this is the idea that if some oil is good, more must be better.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:29 AM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah! and Yeah again! Some testing must be done!

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Other than the anecdotal evidence of what people are doing is there any actual testing that has been done to demonstrate that boats require such low oil to gas ratios??

It seems to me that we are using these ratios because those are the ratios we use. But I am curious if it has been demonstrated that higher ratios (50:1, 100:1) will either damage the engine or cause it to produce less power.

For the record I run 7 ounces per gallon (18:1) of Amsoil Dominator (made to be used at 50:1). Seems to work fine. Why do I do that? Because everyone told me that everyone else uses somewhere between 32:1 and 12:1.

It appears that the primary reason for this is the idea that if some oil is good, more must be better.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:25 PM
MrMikeG

Yes Testing has been done! The M&D boys have proven it on the dyno and they still hold a lot of the SAW records! The theory is the oil helps seal the ring without a lot of added friction. It also helps with heat.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:25 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

i.ve put gallons of fiel threw my buggy's at 32-1 with no wear at all other then a new ring every once in a while outta bordom
Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 PM
stuch

i run 20-1 6oz to on gallon of 93octane gas. i either run motul800 or amsoil. i like both oils. tryed 25-1 for a while and gps'ed less top speed then 20-1 ratio...
Old 06-13-2008, 12:08 AM
tazmaniaboats

i think a tip to use in mind is if you use your model in salty sea water or in fresh water of a lake alters the mixture also the amount/type of alterations for better speeds also does ,if the oilused i sintetic or not ,the model also is anthing a rigger will need more oil than a deep v as he is more subject to water induction.
here in MALTA we use klotz oil[sintetic].but there are some that use normal 2 stroke oil for outboard ,one brand most used is quicksilver[mariner outboards] .i use a ratio of 32-1 and never changed bearing except for routine service of engines ,and it,s normal for a boat to capsize due to wind and sea conditions.generally bearings are destroyed because the engine is run lean for a lot of time or water system[cooling] is not good or owner does not clean his engine well after the boat is capsized .you need to run the boat after you clean evreything tto clear all water from insde the engine [specially between a seal and a bearing .
hope this helps i may be wrong but this is what i and my friends know on the topic.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:06 PM
monsterbrad

I have been running Klotz synthetic from the local bike shop and it works veryu well.
The other boat that my buddy has runs 100/1 amsoil and he has a bit of boggin issues with that oil.
We have not tried my fuel to see if it runs any better yet but that will come when I get my boat to run more then 10 minutes due to clutch problems!