Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

New to the touring car world

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Vaderbxman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the touring car world

As the title suggests, I'm a complete noob when it comes to touring cars. I'm looking into getting one because despite numerous efforts to help get a crowd to come back to our local RC track, it just isn't working. I'm itching for an RC fix, and I've been looking around for a suitable fix, and I think I found one.

I recently got a job working for a grocery store in town, and its connected to a HUGE parking lot that's never used. I was thinking about it on my break one day and thought it would be cool to race a touring car around in there. But, I don't know much.

What I do know is that there's two major types of drivetrains (belt and shaft). I read that shaft driven tends to have a more direct feel between the motor and the wheels, while belt drive gives a little to smooth things out. I'm looking into running my Mamba Max system in it once I get a new motor, so I think I want a belt drive.

I'd like to get suggestions on what kind of company to turn to for a suitable chassi. It doesn't have to be top-of-the-line because I'll just be racing myself, but I would like a chassi that feels solid and not cheap. I'd also like one that can handle the abuse that a first timer with a touring car can dish out. I'll admit I'm not the greatest driver, and would prefer if I don't have to drop 15 bucks every time I smack something. As far a pricing goes, I'm just trying to get a feel of what this is going to cost. I'll look at the most expensive and the least, and probably shoot for in between.

I'm eyeballing Xray, Tamiya, Kyosho, and maybe Losi. Thanks in advance!!!

Xray
Old 06-10-2008, 08:59 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to the touring car world

Hot Bodies Cyclone. Plastic tub edition!
Old 06-10-2008, 11:40 PM
TIGER76

If your gonna be running carparks i would check out shaft driven too as well as belt driven.
As for tamiyas shaft driven cheapest TT-01 series or up the price for the tb-02 (better adjustablity)
For belt drive check out the ta-05 good racers too
Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 AM
Vaderbxman

I really like the look of the TA-05 kit now. I still need to check out the Hot bodies touring car, but I'm digging the TA-05.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 AM
jamiet2

associated tc4 ft or tc5
Old 06-11-2008, 12:57 PM
jaws1

losi xxx-s

perfect for outdoor car park, the belt is complety sealed and no worries of small stone getting in the drivetrain, less maintence than other touring cars, very strong, i ve bought my xxx-s for £60 brand new roller.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:56 PM
aero750rider

I have to agree with jaws I also own 2 losi cars xxx-s+g and xxx-4+g both with novak brushless and I'm very pleased and more than likley stick with losi as I up grade
Old 06-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Vaderbxman

Well after looking at them, I'm torn between the TA-05 and the TC4 RTR. While I like that the TA-05 is a kit, I would like some more features like aluminum body shocks and rubber sealed bearings. Even though those features are on the TC4 RTR, I have more than enough radios and stuff to get a kit moving. Plus, it costs more.

I'm leaning more towards the TA-05 and upgrading from there. If I like it, I might go back for a better touring car in the future (TC5, Kyosho Stallion, ect.) but I want to know if I'm even going to like touring cars to begin with.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:09 AM
TIGER76

If you decide on the TA-05 check out the TA thread for more info

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7114022/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7114022/tm.htm[/link]