Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya M-03 Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:45 AM
boister77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya M-03 Wheels

does anyone know where i can find mesh type wheels for the tamiya m-03 chassis? i've tried my local hobby shops with no luck.

btw...i'm trying to replicate my mini. for a reference of the actual wheels, click the link below:
http://www.vtecminis.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3

thanks!
Old 06-16-2008, 04:18 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Tamiya M-03 Wheels

ORIGINAL: boister77

does anyone know where i can find mesh type wheels for the tamiya m-03 chassis? i've tried my local hobby shops with no luck.

btw...i'm trying to replicate my mini. for a reference of the actual wheels, click the link below:
http://www.vtecminis.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3

thanks!
I don't suppose that you'd be willing to put full size 1/10 sedan wheels on it? They work good if you trim the fender a bit.
Either that or paint these.
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...0-7Spoke-Wheel
Old 06-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Southern Cross

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been having a heck of a time trying to find Tamiya wheels myself. Let me know if you find any good sources. Their site sucks...I imagine they have lots of info on the Japanese version of the site...but they do not include any details...even sizing...for their wheels on their site in English. I finally figured out that HPI's will fit the hex on my Tamiya...just don't know about the widht/height/etc. If you run into any good sizing info or a chart of some sort let me know. If I run into your wheels in my search I'll let you know.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:54 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Southern Cross

I've been having a heck of a time trying to find Tamiya wheels myself. Let me know if you find any good sources. Their site sucks...I imagine they have lots of info on the Japanese version of the site...but they do not include any details...even sizing...for their wheels on their site in English. I finally figured out that HPI's will fit the hex on my Tamiya...just don't know about the widht/height/etc. If you run into any good sizing info or a chart of some sort let me know. If I run into your wheels in my search I'll let you know.
You can find the size specs of them on www.towerhobbies.com .
Old 06-16-2008, 09:31 PM
boister77

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder
I don't suppose that you'd be willing to put full size 1/10 sedan wheels on it? They work good if you trim the fender a bit.
Either that or paint these.
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...0-7Spoke-Wheel
for now, this is what i'm probably going to do. i don't plan to race the car as it will be more of a aesthetic piece to display at car shows. i plan to place it on the hood of my mini. of course, i'll probably run every now and then.

on my way home from work, i stopped by another hobby shop. they have these wheels which are almost spot on. they are yokomo tw-131ms:

i even saw some low profile tires that resemble the actual tread pattern on my tires. they are the hpi 4540 v-groove tires:

however, i'm liking the ones from rcmart since they will retian full functionality. good find!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:32 PM
boister77

ORIGINAL: Southern Cross

i got in touch with tamiya in irvine and unfortunately, their selection is very limited for the m-chassis. it seems the only method to get various wheel designs is to use full 1/10th scale wheels.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:36 AM
The Mad Modder

I've used full 1/10 on my mini. It doesn't need a lot of trimming, just a bit. Plus there are so many more choices available.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:12 AM
trf

i intend to build a M-03S mini, and wanna put som foam tires on that FWD...what are your opinion on that?...26mm or 32mm? what type of?

Thanks,
Old 06-17-2008, 07:25 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: trf

i intend to build a M-03S mini, and wanna put som foam tires on that FWD...what are your opinion on that?...26mm or 32mm? what type of?

Thanks,
Width? Well since the original m03 tires are 25mm wide, I'd say, go with the 26mm ones.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:33 AM
trf

I think I will go with 26 on the front...but I like the look of the "fat" ones on back, so I think 32 will look more aggresive......but not managed to find anywhere?...on tower or some dinball/stella ?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:00 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: trf

I think I will go with 26 on the front...but I like the look of the "fat" ones on back, so I think 32 will look more aggresive......but not managed to find anywhere?...on tower or some dinball/stella ?
What brand were you looking at?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 PM
boister77

anyone familiar with this wheel:
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Wheels-tyres-4-Tamiya-Mini-M01-M02-M03-M04-or-HPI-B_W0QQitemZ250259933786QQihZ015QQcategoryZ111888QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/Wheels-tyres-4-Tamiya-Mini-M01-M02-M03-M04-or-HPI-B_W0QQitemZ250259933786[/link]

this looks like it will fit the bill and retain full functionality. all that i have to do is paint the blue.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:01 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: boister77

anyone familiar with this wheel:
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Wheels-tyres-4-Tamiya-Mini-M01-M02-M03-M04-or-HPI-B_W0QQitemZ250259933786QQihZ015QQcategoryZ111888QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/Wheels-tyres-4-Tamiya-Mini-M01-M02-M03-M04-or-HPI-B_W0QQitemZ250259933786[/link]

this looks like it will fit the bill and retain full functionality. all that i have to do is paint the blue.
Nope. Not bad price, though.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
trf

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder
What brand were you looking at?
not have any preferences...just a good fit to M chassis...and a good looking one too(not so expensive, of course)
Old 06-17-2008, 05:35 PM
The Mad Modder

These are the only ones I could find that would fit it(you might need to trim the fenders a hair).
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNXY4&P=7
All of the foams that have the small wheels in front and large ones in back are made for pan cars and will not work with the m03.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:08 AM
trf

Thanks...
looking and browsing I found some specs near the 26/32 mm width specs, it's like that:
35, 37 and 40 Shore with 26mm width (front tires) and 30mm width (rear tires) available. What that shore represint ???

Thanks...
Old 06-18-2008, 10:45 AM
The Mad Modder

I believe that shore refers to the hardness of the foam tire. I found this on sportwerks' web site, it should help you understand foams better.

"There are three different firmnesses (called shore ratings) of foam tires available for the Recoil. These tires are ranked by their shore rating and have an associated color code. The softest tires are the 35-shore Pink compound, followed by the 40-shore Magenta, and 45-shore Purple compound which is the firmest. The softer the tire is, the better it will grip the racing surface. This is a double-edged sword though as a softer tire will also wear faster. The 40-shore Magenta is a very good all-around tire, but you can tune your chassis quite a bit by playing with tire compounds. If you’re looking to take away front bite, try the 45-shore Purple compound tires. If you’re looking for more rear grip, the 35-shore Pinks might be the hot ticket on the rear of your car. Don’t be afraid to experiment."
Old 06-22-2008, 08:36 PM
boister77

for now, since it will only be used for show, i got some yokomo wheels. they are pretty close to my actual wheels, just the wrong size for the m03 .

anyhow...here's some pics of the progress:

here's the shell. it's still missing the decals.

i used the tamiya smoke spray to create a tint effect on the windows and visor.

i masked the headlights so i can add some leds later. i also masked/sprayed transparent white on the marker lights so it will look more realistic; leds will also be added.

temporarily attached the grill

on the chassis

unfortunately, this chassis is not common with most 1/10th scale models. therefore, it's hard to find matching wheels. for now, i'm using yokomo wheels. this will be used for show. when i drive it, i'll have to switch to the other set.

i also masked/painted the rear tail lights as i plan to install leds

more shots...

and of course...the actual mini