Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Cat p-80 spool up time

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Cat p-80 spool up time

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:06 PM
chriwu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Cat p-80 spool up time

hello,

would be happy if somebody can help me...

- just ordered a jet cat p-80 for using in a sm f-86
now i read some things about bad spool up time / throttle response!?

- can somebody tell me someting about this specific characteristic? how bad is it really compared to other engines of this class?
- slow response an power seems not very beginnerfriendly on me!?

what alternatives are there? later on I plan to use the engine in something like a L-39 or F-16 (1/8) how do a p-70 perform and what do you say about a jet central jf 100 falcon

i think i still could change my order...

thank you for your answers

christian
Old 06-21-2008, 07:37 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Jet Cat p-80 spool up time

Christian,

The P-80 is a great little engine. Dead nuts reliable, fuel miserly, and pretty good power for its size. I own/fly 2 and the spool up time has never bothered me. You get used to it - the power takes a bit to come up, but its ALWAYS there...

Bob
Old 06-21-2008, 08:42 PM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

In my opinion, you would be better of buying a 120SE and limit the RPM if needed. The weight is almost the same and the size is the same as the P80. The lag is a lot less with the SE version and the extra thrust will let you use it in many more jets.

Arnaud
Old 06-21-2008, 11:17 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought the spool-up on my P-80 sucked, unitl I purchased a P-70 (yuck!) [:@]

Now I realize how good of an engine the P-80 is, always starts at 1st attempt, good thrust, good fuel consumption.

The only downside is that it is the same size as a Titan, but half the power.

You wont regret the P-80.

David
Old 06-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can change it, go for it. There is no need to take the risk with a slow spool up as there are many alternatives that are equally good without that risk.
Both my Jet Centrals and Simjet spool up at least twice as fast as the P-80.
Yes, you can get use to it, providing your plane survives the first few items you get in trouble.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:50 AM
CaptainFlynn

I also use a P-80 in my first turbine jet, a F-9 Panther from Feibao. The throttle response really could be better, but to be honest I think it is good to learn jet flying like that, because it helps getting feel for the difference between piston engines and turbines. The P-80 is a very reliable engine and absolutely hassle free. the Panther has ~ 31lbs I guess, but the P-80 does not have an problems dealing with that weight. I'd say go for it, you will not regret it
Old 06-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If money is not a issue then go with the 120, it will fit anywhere the 80 can and give you more power when needed. If you have a buget and the 80 fits for you then go for it, the motor is very dependable and can fly just about anything out there. I have never had an issue with the long spool up. I think spool up times are overrated anyway and i have just accepted it as part of the learing curve when i got into jets.
V..
Old 06-22-2008, 12:58 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Spool up time around 10 seconds from idle to full thrust.
The P-120 SE will be around half of this.
I find the 120 SE amazing. Same size as the P-80 ( the P-80 looks bigger due to its shape ), almost same weight, extremely reliable, very fast and 50% more thrust...

The P-60, P-70, P-80 are now completely outdated due to the release of the new high pressure ratio class of engine:
G-booster 80+
Merlin 90/ Jet Central Rabbit

These engines weight around 650 grams without accessories and deliver 85 to 90 N of thrust.

Jetcat has some work to do the catchup like they did with the 160 SX.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:20 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

I thought the spool-up on my P-80 sucked, unitl I purchased a P-70 (yuck!) [:@]
IME the P-80 is noticeably longer on the spool then any of the P-70s I've had or seen run. i personally don't recommend the P-80 to anyone new getting into turbines because of the time it takes from idle to producing usable power BUT to people who are new and have it already keeping a high idle set can cut that spool up time considerably and only chop it to full idle when you KNOW you've got the landing made.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:28 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

100% agree with you KC. This engine is from another age...
Old 06-22-2008, 02:52 PM
chriwu

thank you guys for your comments!

may be I really go for a change. sure, its some mony more but later on I could go for some mid size air frames.

g-booster 80 is for sure a great engine - but excessing my budget

Personally I tend to a P-120 but be so kind and post your experiences with the jet chentral falcon jf 100... seems to be a reliable engine as well (which is often used??) weight and fuel consumption look similar to the p-80!

Thanks for your ideas.

christian

@ Edgar: you fly your F-9 with 80N of thrust? verry interesting for me since our local rep (fai bao) rated it with at least 120, better 160N !? How you are satisfied with that plane?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:01 AM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Christian,

I would NEVER recommend a P-80 over a Falcon EVER! I have had both and there is absolutely NO COMPARISION!
The Falcon is the same size as the P-70 but with 22-23lbs of thrust. The spoolup time is RIDICULOUS!
If you are considering going with a P-120 I think you have to consider the size vs. thrust class vs. cost vs. future apps.
For me personally - if I am going to go with a 120 sized can, I want the highest thrust class for that diameter at the lowest cost (knowing that I can always turn it down and have it for heavier jets later) and that would be the Rhino (120 size, 36+ lbs. of thrust $3,695 vs. a P-120SE @ $3,195)

If I want thrust around a P-80 then I would go with the smaller sized can (Falcon) and get the extra thrust. Falcon = $2,795 vs. P-80 $2,595.

My P-80 - purchased from BVM in 2003 for 2,499 +tax & shipping - about 40 flights - (went back to Jetcat 3-4 times, one user induced - total cost from all repairs = around 1,000) at least 10-12 weeks total time away from home - either at JC or in transit

My Falcon - purchased from Jet Central in July 2007 for 2,899 +tax & shipping + free fuel jug ($200 value) - today makes 173 flights - (went back to JetCentral 2 times, one of those for a short in the RPM/EGT sensors, one for sticking during starts - total cost of repairs $0 - not even shipping charges) No more than 12-15 days total away from my plane.

My opinion is go for the Falcon.......you won't look back.

These are just my opinions and personal experiences. Good luck with your choice - I believe both brands are great overall.

Smitty
Old 06-23-2008, 12:07 AM
smitty1001

David,

Sorry the P-70 did you wrong amigo..........the last time I saw it, it was in your Bandit and it was pushing it good. At least I practically gave it to you!

The P-80 I had accelerated even slower than that P-70 [X(] It was about 8 seconds from idle to full RPM In the Kangaroo days, I didn't know any better.

Spoolup time is over rated...................UNTIL you HAVE IT!!!!

Anyways.......I just wanted to respond to David's last line.

I DISAGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:51 AM
CaptainFlynn

In the end its a matter of personal preference. I also own a P-120SE and it is a kickass engine. If you have the spare cash, you should probably go for a 120 size engine to use it on a bigger bird later on. Talk to the guys in your club and see what engines they are flying. That can help if you need assistance later...

About the Panther and 80N - it is absolutely sufficient for scale flying. The Panther was no rocket and should not be flown like one. You can easily go with 1/2 throttle and do all scale like maneuvers easily. It will still go quite fast on full throttle. After 7 1/2 minutes of flight, I only had the two saddle tanks empty. the main fuel tank was still full.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:55 AM
FalconWings

ORIGINAL: smitty1001

David,

Sorry the P-70 did you wrong amigo..........the last time I saw it, it was in your Bandit and it was pushing it good. At least I practically gave it to you!

The P-80 I had accelerated even slower than that P-70 [X(] It was about 8 seconds from idle to full RPM In the Kangaroo days, I didn't know any better.

Spoolup time is over rated...................UNTIL you HAVE IT!!!!

Anyways.......I just wanted to respond to David's last line.

I DISAGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I first got the P-70 from you it didn't ran that well. Sent it in (3 weeks @ JC!) and they did some minor adjustments and then I tried it in the Bandit. It ran pretty good but then again I almost never go below 1/2 throttle in the Bandit. Problem was when I installed it on my Tam's F-16 (where I do use the full throttle range). If you come in on a dive, such as a cuban eight, and you hit idle you will be in for a surprise at pullout (that infamous 10 sec spool up). Talked to a couple of guys who told me that was in deed normal to the P-70. Eversince, I don't use idle except when landing. But it shouldn't be like that.

My P-80 reacts better than the -70., eventhough it has a 1200 serial number (yeap, hardly 18lbs of thrust!). My plans after the bambino arrives is to buy a Falcon for the BARF.

David

Old 06-23-2008, 03:01 PM
chriwu

thank you guys

your comments helped me making my decision: i go for the falcon...

going to change my order today.

regards, christian
Old 06-23-2008, 05:15 PM
JTs Hobby
My Feedback: (15)

Old 06-24-2008, 12:01 AM
smitty1001

David,

That makes me furious AT JETCAT USA that you had to send that in when I sold that to you! It had just come back from them, I ran it once on a test stand and posted it on RCU. I just went back and looked at my credit card statement: $360 billed on August 8th. I wish I still had the receipt so that we could compare the work that was done. Do you remember the date you bought it from me, sent it in, and how much you were charged? What work was done on it?

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!

I would call Wilcox and give him the serial and ask for a work history, sounds like we "fixed" that motor twice in a row. BTW......it was gone for a month. Thank God they didn't have any new P-70's in stock when I sent it in last July! I was willing to buy a new one so I didn't have to wait the "3 weeks for someone to look at it since everyone was at rallies!"

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 AM
smitty1001

just checked..................I posted the ad on 8/10/07..........paid JCUSA $360 on 8/8/07

your numbers? ..........................
Old 06-24-2008, 01:17 AM
FalconWings

I'll look it up.