Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on 3D/IMAC plane

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Looking for advice on 3D/IMAC plane

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:47 AM
doublesixes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on 3D/IMAC plane

A friend of mine who lives overseas would like to buy a 50cc plane but his options are basically 3:
Great Planes Yak 54 and Hangar 9 Cap 232 and the GP Patty Wagstaff.
They are basically 2 meter planes and perhaps a bit small for the DL50 he already has but that's how it is.
He has not seen convincing video evidence that would tip the scale one way or the other, so it would be great to hear real stories of pilots that are actually flying these birds.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:51 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking for advice on 3D/IMAC plane

wow
Old 06-28-2008, 10:22 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Those aren't good options, is there a reason he's limited to those three?
Old 06-28-2008, 10:25 AM
doublesixes

Yes there is, availability. Those 3 are the only options he's got, unfortunately.
There are no Cardens, Aeroworks, Dietrichs, QQs, ExtremeFlight, etc.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:38 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Where does he live that he cannot get the others?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:02 AM
doublesixes

He's in Argentina and import fees, and shipping costs make the other options too expensive.
He could get a CAmodel but he would prefer a true ARF experience.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Honestly with those options its a flip of a coin.

I would try and get it light as possible regardless. 50cc is overkill as well.. but I realize he has the engine.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:48 PM
krproton

The GP Patty is fabulousI've had a few of them and flew them in IMAC powered by a Moki 2.10. But the "Patty" is old-school as far as design goes. I'd eliminate that one. That leaves you with the GP Yak and the H-9 CAP. Maybe somebody else will be able to help more.

Tim
Old 06-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Bass1

I have the older version of the Hanger 9 Cap 232 (Alitalia) with a Brison 3.2 and it's not too bad at all for basic and sportsman Imac stuff. I don't compete but I practice the sequences all the time with it. The newer version should be comparable.[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 07-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Smacka

Hello 66:
I have been flying the new Hangar 9 Cap 232G-27% for a couple of weeks now. I have zero experience with the other aircraft, so it would be unfair of me to say, "My bird is the best..."

Here is what I can tell you:
1) I installed an Evolution 45GX/2 engine. When in a hover, it is lazy to pull out BUT that may be the fact that I am running a 22-8 Mejzlik. I am going to try a 23-8 and see the difference.

2) This bird is wild! Very snappy and extremely responsive, even on low rates. I have positive expo (JR radio...would be negative on Futaba) set to 40% to calm it down around null. Mind you, most of that is because of my inexperience as a pilot. I had my instructor fly the plane and he flew it all over the place without expo.

3) The build was very straight forward and a wonderful learning experience. Believe me, I made my share of mistakes during the build that I had to recover from...again, it was my first giant scale build, and only the second plane I have ever built. Someone with more experience would have completed the kit with no worries.

4) If I had to do it all over again, I would have opted for a DA 50...just so the extra power would be there when/if I needed or wanted it.

Overall, this plane has been a complete ball, in every sense of the word. I am really enjoying myself, so much so that I have planned and purchased my next giant scale build...a 33% Matt Chapman Cap 580.

I regret not outfitting my Cap 232G with smoke capability. That would have been sweet. I will not make that mistake with the Cap 580!

My gallery has several picks of the build, and over the next few weeks I will add video.

I sure hope this semi review is helpful...
Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 AM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Get the one with the most wing area and do not over build it. Keep it as light as possible. Even then it might be a little snappy.

50cc is small for being a smooth flying airplane. You will need lots of expo. Once you get to 40% its hard to go smaller again. That being said tis a great size to learn and improve your skills.

Understand though that you need a great deal of resolution for IMAC whereas 3D you are trying to get the most amount of throw possible without snapping.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:29 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

The GP patty 300 is actually a good imac plane for it's size but not a very good 3D plane due to flying surface size and overall weight.

Albert
Old 07-14-2008, 07:29 PM
doublesixes

Well, guys thanks a lot for the very valuable feedback received.
My friend did actually go and got the Patty. I think looks and the fact that the plane is entirely covered with balsa and that the elevator servos are inside the stab, made the difference. Cosmetically GP did a great job with this plane, especially with the cowl and cockpit areas.
He's DL50 will provide more than enough power to hover and get out of trouble during risky high alpha maneuvers.
To be honest, I think the pilot has the most to say whether an airplane can fly great or not. I have seen videos of the Patty doing 3D competently, at least keeping up with the Yak and the Cap.
He told me the build is going well but he mentioned that access to the tank area is somewhat difficult because the canopy does not reach the F1. krproton is right, this plane IS old school, but that doesn't necessarily imply of lesser quality than the other options he chose from. It's an Extra after all...how wrong can you go?

Old 07-15-2008, 12:11 AM
rc-plane

What about planes that Troy built models have? They have most major brands and I think on the site it said it had stores in other places.

Check out there site.