Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Da50 High and low end setting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Gobbler870
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Da50 High and low end setting?

I just purchased a DA50 and have about 2 gallons through it with the 32:1 Lawnboy mixture. The high end is great turning a Xoar 23x8 at 6810 but the midrange and low end is gurggleing. Can someone that has a great running DA50 tell me where they have their high and low end set? EX: 1.75 turns out on high end and 1.50 turns out on low end...etc....Thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 11:09 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Da50 High and low end setting?

You may have to live with that. Lean the low needle too much on a DA 50 and you have flame outs at idle while inverted. Plus if you lean the low needle it will lean your peak RPM's which are pretty darn good for that big prop. The high needle usually can't get rich on that engine. Mine liked 1.75-2 on the high and about 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 on the low. But mine would flame out inverted at idle. Anywhere else it ran and started great. When I removed the gurgle I think my inverted at idle problems started.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:22 AM
rcbill

I agree with Joe. You can lean the low needle to remove the burble but then other problems seem to develope. If I remove the burble, on outside loops the engine wants to die when the nose starts to point up. Just experiment and see what happens with yours. I also richened my high needle a little. I don't get peek rpm but the engine is reliable doing inverted blenders and outside loops etc. Bill
Old 07-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Gobbler870

Thanks for the info..I love the top end but I want a reliable setting so that I can practice the 3d stuff at low altitude without worrying. I'll get the engine broke in and then switch to 50:1 racing synthetic...hopefully that will remove some of the girgleing. Are either of you running a pipe? I should have asked that first. I have the pitts muffler.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:17 PM
rcbill

Gobbler,
No pipe for me. I had a Bisson - Pitts Style until it started getting stress cracks. Now I run the DA stock muffler taching about 7000 on a NX 22x8...... Bill
Old 07-09-2008, 07:20 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, 7000-7200 on a Slimline pitts and 22x8.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Capt Lou

Gobbler:

I just purchased my first gas engine, the DA-50. I have it in a Wildhare 300 Extra with a Bisson Pitts muffler. I have already gone thu 4 gallons of 50:1 break in oil/gas and I'm now using 32:1 synthetic. The way I adjusted my high & low end was to lean them thru increments of 1/8 turns beginning with the low end. This was trial and error and it worked well for me. According to DA adjusting the low end also impacts the high end. I now have adjusted them well enough that at high end I'm turning 6,980 RPM's using a Vess 22B prop (equivalent to a 22x8 prop). I have not completely removed the gurgling sound although I have reduced it considerably. I have been told that the gurgling sound is common to DA engines especially if you use a pitts style muffler. The engine idles well and the transition from low to high speed is very smooth. I have had no dead sticks or flame outs. Good luck with yours.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Gobbler870

Truly Guys...Thank You for the info..Capt. lou I have read tons of your replies on other topics and forums. You must have been doing this for some time now..Feedback is absolutely priceless when it comes from people who have already been there and done that. When I bought this yak I purchased the DA85 and the tune pipe and hardware as well as a 24x8 3 blade Mejzlik prop and topped it off with an anodized black Tru turn spinner...It looked awesome and fit fine on the plane with no issues of balancing believe it or not...
Only problem that I ran into was that the tune pipe was too big in circumference "baseball bat size" and I had to purchase the pitts style. Talk about authority....WOW...Hover and climbing at two clicks...I had problems when trying to back it down to land..had to land hot so I took it all off and purchased the DA50 which is not short on power by any means...I'm posting the DA85 and accessories for sale on here tomorrow...Only has 3/4 of a gallon through it..AWESOME engine for someone that has a larger plane.