Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

I went ahed with the truggy conversion

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I went ahed with the truggy conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:59 AM
crowdie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I went ahed with the truggy conversion

And its great!. Instead of buying a completely new body shell for my hyper and spending about £30 I adapted a BMW M3 shell that was originally going to be for my NTC3 to fit, it looks good The only problems I am having are, the brakes are crap, and the engine gets a bit hotter. I knew the engine would get hot without re- gearing. Its inevitable. But what should I do? Bigger spur gear? Bigger or smaller clutch bell? Please help O_o.
And as for the brakes... I have tightened them all the way, there just not stopping it very well, I assume its because of the bigger wheels... I think the answer might be to get the quad brake conversion, but I'm not 100% on how I'm going to fit it.
Ill get some pictures up after to show how it looks and for the hell of it :P
Old 07-22-2008, 04:09 AM
rcpowerhorse

Default RE: I went ahed with the truggy conversion

any pics??????????
Old 07-22-2008, 04:24 AM
crowdie

At the moment no, as I said ill get some up after for yah
Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 AM
crowdie

OK I've got some picture :P
As you can see its already had a day out because its dirty O_o. And I still need to paint the wing, I'm thinking black with white sides and a white stripe...
I know the body shell isn't a perfect fit, but i think it looks OK

Here's a view of it from the back.

A view from the front.

Next to flower bed..

On starter box

Alone on the grass

Another on the box

Sooo, its a bit dirty, and really needs the wing painting and need to smooth off air holes, maybe re think body posts. But performance wise it needs new brakes, new gearing and possible new steering servo (its slow)
But on the whole I'm liking this :P

Edit, fixed pictures
Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size clutch bell are you running? If you can drop one 1 tooth on the clutch bell (or go up 4 or 5 teeth on the spur gear), your increased heat issue should go away.

Looks good.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:56 AM
crowdie

I think I'm running a 14t clutch bell, and I have no idea on what spur... its stock hyper 7 DO you think the spur gear would be a better option? And I haven't an idea on which one to upgrade it too.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:14 AM
i8tweety

Dropping to a 13 tooth clutchbell would be the easiest solution.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:34 PM
crowdie

Ah nice, I'll try and look for one. I've just been on my track at home taking mahoosive jumps, The engine mounts have come loose and the gear mesh has been messed up, i have to fix that first O_o
Old 07-22-2008, 04:46 PM
crowdie

Is there any solution for brakes? I've tightened them all the way on the servo..
Old 07-22-2008, 07:09 PM
i8tweety

You can go with a dual brake setup (2 per side) to improve your braking. However, you will need to use OFNA's dual brake flywheel for clearance (part number 19333).
Old 07-23-2008, 03:41 AM
crowdie

Thanks What about the quad brake conversion? Because there's one of them for £24 which isn't that bad. Oh, and the steering servo wasn't what was needed. It was driving style that needed changing.

EDIT: Here is a link the the conversion I'm on about.

[link=http://www.jespares.com/radio-controlled-models/nitro-cars/hop-ups/ofna-ho-bao/ofna-ho-bao-hyper-7/ofna-ho-bao/ho-bao-hyper-quad-brake-conversion.html]Quad brake conversion[/link]

It looks HARD to install, I just hope if I get it there's instructions.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Chameleon1204

I also have a crt. but, I do not have any problems with braking. I changed the throttle servo to high torque. My suggestion list:

1. Take off your brakes and inspect for glazed pads or discs. If they are glazed, use a hobby knife or sandpaper to scrape the glazing off the pads.
If they are oily, replace the pads. (this is your cheapest option. Most times, if they don't work, you are missing a pad.)

2. Very lightly scuff your brake discs (2000 grit wet or dry paper works well). This gives the brakes something to cling to.

3. If these don't work, try to shorten the servo arm that actuates the brakes. (take off the linkage supports, cut the servo arm
one hole, drill the second hole, reinstall.) This will increase the power that the servo applies to the brakes.

4. If this still isn't enough, change your servo to a high torque servo. ( I used a JR 9100t. not sure of specs, but you can look them up)
I think the brakes are working fine, but your servo is the problem. Without a strong servo to apply pressure on your brakes, you are trying to stop
a semi with a vw beetle's brakes. get me?

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:23 AM
TommyGun24

That looks sick !
Old 07-27-2008, 04:14 AM
crowdie

ORIGINAL: Chameleon1204

I also have a crt. but, I do not have any problems with braking. I changed the throttle servo to high torque. My suggestion list:

1. Take off your brakes and inspect for glazed pads or discs. If they are glazed, use a hobby knife or sandpaper to scrape the glazing off the pads.
If they are oily, replace the pads. (this is your cheapest option. Most times, if they don't work, you are missing a pad.)

2. Very lightly scuff your brake discs (2000 grit wet or dry paper works well). This gives the brakes something to cling to.

3. If these don't work, try to shorten the servo arm that actuates the brakes. (take off the linkage supports, cut the servo arm
one hole, drill the second hole, reinstall.) This will increase the power that the servo applies to the brakes.

4. If this still isn't enough, change your servo to a high torque servo. ( I used a JR 9100t. not sure of specs, but you can look them up)
I think the brakes are working fine, but your servo is the problem. Without a strong servo to apply pressure on your brakes, you are trying to stop
a semi with a vw beetle's brakes. get me?

Good luck.
Thanks! I will have to have a good inspection tomorrow, as soon as the brakes are working I can run it :P I had a scare when I was running it in the street the day before yesterday, the brakes just stopped working on a WOT run, I had to let it role for a looonnnggg time. I don't know what happened there O_O Probably something to do with the servo settings being changed and messed with.

And thanks TommyGun24 Well, that assuming you mean in the nice way :P:P. But when the wing gets painted i think it will look even better