Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Electric
35.29%
Nitro
43.14%
Gas
21.57%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Electric, Nitro, or Gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 06:36 PM
eXunforgiven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric, Nitro, or Gas

Ok here's a poll, this can be your favorite, what you own, what you prefer, or what you support. No rules just vote for one. I understand that you might love them all or hate them all, but in the end you can only vote for one.
General voting with no purpose seems like it would end up in this thread spinning out of control and ultimately being locked or deleted. Game on!
Old 07-26-2008, 06:44 PM
ElectricGuy007

Default RE: Electric, Nitro, or Gas

All I own is electric, I've had bad experinces with nitro because tuning a motor is a pain in the butt.
The engine is either too rich or too lean, I can only imagine what people go through tuning 3 or more needles.[&:]

I like charging batteries.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:46 PM
eXunforgiven

Yeah, it can get to be a pain, especially if youre a begginer and have no one to guide you.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:51 PM
sloppyG

I like gas because my real car is gas
Old 07-26-2008, 07:06 PM
calvino

i have electric and nitro and both love them, tuning is hard for the first gallon but after that it should be easier, i like nitro because its "fuel and go" while electric is "charge, charge, drive, charge charge", i do like the sheer POWER of electric motors and the ease of use and SILENCE of them[8D]
Old 07-26-2008, 08:39 PM
magnat

Plug and Play rules for me...

Less down time and more play time !
Old 07-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Pathous
My Feedback: (12)

I like nitro but I have seen some very impresive electric. I find most engines are easy to tune.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:34 AM
GlassBullet
My Feedback: (1)

i'm still new, but i just love the sound of a nitro
Old 07-27-2008, 06:57 AM
DS

i like nitro, u dont have to wait for a battery charge and sit and watch your car slowly loose power while driving.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:04 AM
The Hedgehog

Started with a nitro savage, moved towards electric, then went back to nitro. I find tuning very easy and quick, and I love the sound of it zooming by. Gas isn't an option because I race also.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Xtfreak

Gas. Tune it and forget it. 30+ minutes run time. And that sound, nothing can beat that
Old 07-27-2008, 04:54 PM
SAVAGEJIM

With the price of nito going up by as much as 50% more, the price of $5 gasoline is much much more appealing than $30 for 20% nitro. Furthermore, gasoline has way way mroe BTUs per mas than nitro fuel will ever have. This means way way less fuel neecds to be dumped into the massive 23-35cc cylinders thann compared to what even a .12ci nitro engine does (fuel:cc ratio that is).

So, a fulie engin can sip on gas where even the tiniest nitro engine suck nitro like a whale. That is why a fulie engine will run for 20-30min on one tank of gasoline where even a .12ci nitro engine runs out of fuel in only 10-15min, even when running very very lean.

Additionally, gasoline 2-strokes are virtually mainteannce & tuning free. Tune once and that is juct about it. The break-in procedure for gasoline engines is also much more simple than that of a nitro engine. Yes, some maintenance and tuning are required, but not to the high tinkering levels of a nitro engine.

Additionally to all this, gasoline engines make WAY more torque than what the nitro engiens will ever make due to a combination of 2 things: the massive displacement advantage ofver nitro engines, and again, gasoline has way more BTUs per mass, so much more force comes from the combustion of the fuel-air charge. A nitro engine might see up to 2BHP where a 23cc gasoline engine would probably make only 1.5BHP, but that gas engine will make nearly 1.5 ft-lbs torque wehre the 2BHP nitro engine would be struggling to even make half a ft-lbf of torque. Nitro engiens might turn very very high RPMs, but the massive torques of gasoline engins allow them to be geared very very high such that they ca make op speeds similar to nitro engines.

My vote therefore goes to gasoline.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:00 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Started with a nitro savage, moved towards electric, then went back to nitro. I find tuning very easy and quick, and I love the sound of it zooming by. Gas isn't an option because I race also.
Too bad the RC wold does not have a gas class. If they were to start one, I gaurantee many more fans will cough up $1000+ USD to buy gas RCs and race them. Heck, many RCs, even electric ones, can exceed $1000 USD with all the aftermarket options and hop-ups put in them.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have a rustler vxl on 3s lipo, but would love a 1/5 gasser
Old 07-27-2008, 08:56 PM
SAVAGEJIM

A 5th scale fulie is next on my list, pref a 4WD. I dont know what route I am going to take, but if someone winds up selling a used one, I will go that route, rebuild or replace the engine, and go from there. Much better than killing my wallet by paying the rediculous $1000+ inflated prices. Weedeaters cost $100USD or less, why cant the gas RCs be more affordable too? For 99% of our RC being made very very cheaply in china, the saving should be passed on to the purchaser. Someone in between the factory and the retailer is getting way too much money. Yes, R&D is not cheap, but there is no way that R&D, overhead, shipping, middlemen, etc. cost more than 50% of shelf price. Worse, has anyone seen the MSRP of RCs? For example, I believe HPI suggest a sale price of $700-$800 for the Savage XL! No wonder all the guys from distribution to the retailer chop the price down to the 500's.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:58 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gas, without discussion
Old 07-27-2008, 09:13 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Too bad the RC wold does not have a gas class. If they were to start one, I gaurantee many more fans will cough up $1000+ USD to buy gas RCs and race them. Heck, many RCs, even electric ones, can exceed $1000 USD with all the aftermarket options and hop-ups put in them.
I know I would. Baja 5b anyone?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Anomie

Both nitro and electric on the same vehicle.

Like Sheo said, no discussion [X(]
Old 07-27-2008, 11:12 PM
SeanZ0r

ORIGINAL: Pathous

I like nitro but I have seen some very impresive electric. I find most engines are easy to tune.
+ 1 All my nitro cars always ran correctly, I think it's just doing basic maintainence, and learning how to tune correctly, and you will be satisfied with any nitro model. I Love both nitro and electric, I have 3c brushless setups in my cars/trucks, and they're very fun to drive
Old 07-28-2008, 05:34 AM
stroke28

When i used electric i thought that it was the choice.... a few years later i bought a nitro.

no comparison. Nitro all the way.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Xtfreak

I know I would. Baja 5b anyone?
ME! the SS to be exact
Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Nitro Fumes

I own (1) nitro and (1) gas. No electric. I don't like electric. The only noise they make is gear whine. Gotta' have internal combustion to make me happy. My nitro is the Losi XXX-NT AD2 and my gas is the HPI Baja B5 SS kit.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:20 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Gas, without discussion
Gas racing is minimal at best.