Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Build RC car on road

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:24 PM
kemz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build RC car on road

Im am fully new and have no excperience at all, but
i want to build a electic on road rc car from stratch.
I wouldn't know where to start but willing to learn.
Definately dont wont an already assembled one.
Budget between 500-800$ can anyone give ideas

Old 07-26-2008, 10:48 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: Build RC car on road

Do you have any modeling or machining experience? Without is there is a very steep and expensive learning curve ahead.

I would start by by designing in a CAD program because I have those skills, if you don't you can learn them or start sketching stuff on paper. Graph paper works just as well as a computer for RC stuff. Get a general layout plan with some general (length, width, height, wheelbase, track width, suspension arm length) dimensions. Then start thinking about the drive train. Unless you have a very nicely furbished shop there is no way you are going to cut bevel gears or anything like that. It will probably be easier to use differentials from an existing car. By differentials I mean the gear case, bevel gears, differential, and dog bone cups. Dog bones and shafts are easy to make/extend so dont worry too much about them. Things like hubs and steering knuckles will be difficult to make without a mill so you might be better off buying those too. I think you could make most of the chassis and suspension arms with a simple scroll or band saw, templates (drawn on graph paper), a drill press, and your choice of materials (probably aluminum or carbon fiber). Pick up a cheap set of electronics when you are done designing; a basic radio/receiver package, a stock motor, a cheap ESC, and a $5 servo to use as testing and to check for sizes. Get something better when you are finished building. There is too much extra info I could type. If you have any specific questions I'm here for you.

What about a kit? $800 will buy you a very nice kit and support equipment.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:46 PM
kemz

Default RE: Build RC car on road

Yes thanks for the info, my mistake.
I meant to ask for a kit and support. Any recomedations?