Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

choosing a new radio and servos for a newb

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

choosing a new radio and servos for a newb

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:03 PM
xevious613

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choosing a new radio and servos for a newb

Im building A Mugen mrx-4x with a Shadow body. Already have the engine and pipe but need help with a good radio And servos.
I put $$$$ into it soo far but think my $50 Futaba radio might be less than I want!
I do like Futaba, just not sure which radio to get with servos that work well with it!

Should I get A hi torque servo for steering?
Im mixed between the pistol and the stick controls.(Always felt better with stick controls, but all the new RC's rtr always come with pistol)
Depending on my choice of radios, DO I NEED A FAILSAFE?
Old 08-02-2008, 02:50 AM
turbodremz23
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: choosing a new radio and servos for a newb

first question is how much do you want to spend on a radio...?

first tip- ALWAYS USE A FAILSAFE!!
Old 08-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Mouton

Most new 2.4 GHz radios and all PCM radio systems have built in fail safe. If starting out in with all new gear I see no reason for not going with a 2.4 GHz system.

If you like Futaba and stick type transmitters why not theck out Futaba 3GR-FS 2.4 FASST? It is exactly the same as the highly popular 3PM 2.4 FASST transmitter, only in a different housing.

1:8 IC track is the fastest and most demanding of all nitros and perhaps, depending on your experience, you might want to be able to have a five point throttle curve and some other minor features not available with the 3PM/GR. If so the Futaba 3PK (wheel type) and 3VCS (stick type) transmitters are what Futaba offers. Both are modular and can be purchased as either FM or 2.4 GHz FASST systems. Their modular construction allows the end user to change transmitter module in order to change between AM, FM and 2.4 GH FASST.

Before you empty your wallet you would do yourself good by checking out Airtronics and KO Propos products as well. Both offer their high-end transmitters as both stick type and wheel type transmitters. All three brands are popular choices among the best international drivers.

Read more about the four Futabas here:
http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/radiosystems.html

KO Propo Esprit III Universe 2.4GHz SS (basically an EX-10 Helios):
http://www.kopropo.com/america/index...=59&Itemid=118

Aitronics Super EXZES Plus (basically an M11 in a stick type housing):
http://www.airtronics.net/airtronics_EXZES.asp

Why not have a look at Futaba S9551 for steering and throttle? If you want to save a few dollars the Futaba S9550 is also a good choice the throttle.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:08 AM
xevious613

After looking them all over, I went with the 2.4GhZ 3pm pistol from Futuba and even came with 2 standard servos for $190 with free shipping.
With over 1K invested in this car, I'll fell much better about the radio system opposed to the $50 system I was gona install. Now I can use it as a spare system for some of my bashers. Thanks for the help.